Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Vehicle Issues

Vehicle Issues Frequently asked questions about vehicles, parts, maintenance, and troubleshooting

Site Search:

Old 05-04-2014

Tommy, I don't understand why the Blue Ox would make any noise once locked in the first time. They don't slide in and out going down the road. Is the Base Plate tight? The strain would be put on the tow system as soon as you begin to move not after 10 feet. Bodies at rest and all that stuff.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 05-04-2014
RV Appraiser

You might want to look at shock mounts, they will pop in & out of place if loose or broken.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 05-22-2014

Default Mystery Noise Update

As an update to my posts on the 'mystery noise', I am beginning to think it is my panhard. Had another "run" of the noise on my recent trip. Tight to moderately tight left and right turns, the loud "pop" from the rear of the coach.

Going to have it looked at when I go to Coachcraft next month.

In the meantime, part(s) number(s) for the panhard for my 94 WB would be appreciated.

If it turns out to not be the panhard, at least I will have the parts on hand for future use.
Old 05-22-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Hat Guy View Post
As an update to my posts on the 'mystery noise', I am beginning to think it is my panhard. Had another "run" of the noise on my recent trip. Tight to moderately tight left and right turns, the loud "pop" from the rear of the coach.

Going to have it looked at when I go to Coachcraft next month.

In the meantime, part(s) number(s) for the panhard for my 94 WB would be appreciated.

If it turns out to not be the panhard, at least I will have the parts on hand for future use.
Tommy, I am like you and really don't have any idea, what is going on with your coach. But I recall a thread by Pete Masterson, where the shock mounts broke on his coach and maybe that could also be a source of your popping sound you hear. Just something else to think about.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 05-22-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
Tommy, I am like you and really don't have any idea, what is going on with your coach. But I recall a thread by Pete Masterson, where the shock mounts broke on his coach and maybe that could also be a source of your popping sound you hear. Just something else to think about.

Jim:

Talked to John Hughes at Coachcraft this morning. He thinks it could be a bad shock mount. His experience indicates the noise is consistent with that opinion.

Thanks.
Old 05-22-2014
Former Bird Owner

Just stumbled across this thread-- didn't see the earlier posts.

My coach suspension never made any unusual noises (I never heard any sounds (that I could identify) from the air bags.

At one point, I did begin to hear a 'popping' noise in the front end. This was especially noticeable on roads where subsidence (sinking of the pavement, common in the S.F. Bay Area on freeways near the bay shore) will cause the bus to porpoise.

The sound (from the driver's seat) seemed to be coming from the right front ... ultimately, it was discovered that the LEFT front shock mount was in the process of failing. When it did fail, it took out the air brake line on that wheel -- fortunately, this occurred while moving the coach at a very low speed (walking speed) while at the service facility that I had gone to to try to figure out the source of the noise among other things.

It is important to note that the real problem was not where it sounded like it was coming from -- the noises transmitted through the frame/body of the coach and the interior flooring materials, carpets, body and frame structure, and wall insulation all served to disguise the actual source of the noise. Even worse, a minor problem with missing screws from the wheel-well liner, led the service technicians to assume they'd found the problem.

So, try to isolate exactly where the noises are originating -- but don't rule out the possibility that the noise is being transmitted from some other location, if the apparent area does not have an obvious problem.

In the rear suspension area, the sources could be any of the suspension components (including shocks and mounts) on either side. A careful inspection (preferably using a pit to allow safe access under the coach) of all the suspension components of the drive and tag axle is in order.

As speculated, it could be the panhard rod (bad bushings allowing it to "load up" then release) or it could be some other component, such as a bad air bag mount or a bad shock or shock mount or some other component that has become worn or out of position. Note, I did not hear any noises, but I did once have a rear drive axle shock fail -- with some of the internal fluid noticed leaking on its outside. Fortunately, the rear axle doesn't require the expensive, adjustable Koni shocks.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 05-22-2014
Old Guy

Tommy
My 94 had the front shock mount broken loose. I did not notice any more noise than normal but my bus is noisy all the time!!

I remember reading somewhere on the WOG that the early 90 birds had problems with the shock mounts breaking loose. My shop welded mine back and I have had them check it every year since. No problems.

I hope it is your mount because it is an easy fix.
314-378-9882
Old 06-10-2014

Default Mystery Noise (Solved)

Down at CoachCraft today. John Hughes found my rear shocks are kaput. Originals over 20 y.o. Steer shocks are still functioning but need to be replaced as well. Panhard is fine.

Going to have them all replaced with new Koni's. I will most likely have to see the "credit manager".
Old 06-10-2014
Former Bird Owner

Adjustable Koni's are good on the front end. But "normal" shocks on the drive/tag axle will be just fine. I replaced the drive axle shocks when my 'annual' inspection showed one side was leaking. As I recall, they were not very expensive (compared to the Koni's). To be honest, I didn't really feel the "bad" one have any effect on the ride ... and the new ones didn't have any significant change, either.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 06-10-2014

I spent my life as a lawyer, not a mechanic nor even a techno-savy lay-person. But, I always thought bad, broken or deteriorating shocks was not just bad for the vehicle, be it small or large, but presented a potential safety issue. Is it being suggested that I just "ignore" the issue and continue to drive a 50 K lb vehicle with wore-out shocks?