Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 04-04-2020
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs707 View Post
either way you go (Apple of Android) if you can stick with it for a year, you'll probably come to the same conclusion that most do ... the camera is the killer 'I can't live w/o' feature. And it won't be for the typical reasons you probably think of ... but instead, stuff like,

Tiny print on medicine bottles. Snap a pic - now you can zoom in

That business card someone gave you. Snap a pic.

That diagram you saw at a rally. Snap a pic

That default PW on the bottom of that new WiFi router. Snap a pic

That wiring in that back closet cut-out that is a PITA to get to. Snap a pic

In the pit under the bus. Snap a pic of everything.

Now that you have all those pics, it's easy (really easy) to share via email and dare I say 'txt message'.

Drop the phone in the toilet ... no worries ... the omnipotent cloud has it all backed-up.

Like others have said, since Carol has a iPhone that's your answer right there on either or.

Ahhh.this info i can use!!
Thanks

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 04-04-2020

The iPhone is a great tool, I use the flash light and pics a lot, wait a few weeks, the new iPhone 9 is going to be released, looks good.
"Smooth Ride"
Full Timing with 2 cats
Old 04-04-2020

Quote:
the camera is the killer 'I can't live w/o' feature. And it won't be for the typical reasons you probably think of ... but instead, stuff like.
I’ve really gotten into using video more than pics. I stick the iPhone into places I can’t see, turn on video with the LED light on, and move the phone around very slowly in all directions. I can then sit back and study what’s in those areas using slow motion, freeze frame, etc., and save frames from the video as pictures. With pics, I found I was retaking a lot of them because I just couldn’t see the screen well enough to frame what I wanted the pic of. I now have movies saved to my laptop of the many nooks and crannies I’ve explored. Don’t need them at the moment, but they are there when something breaks and I need to figure out how to gain access. Blowing up the movie frames on a large screen allows you to see things from a whole new perspective! The camera is on the very corner of the phone so you can see behind amazingly narrow places while still having a good grip on the phone.

Do a little experimenting - takes a few trials to get used to shooting blindly. Slow movements are the key. Oh, by the way, all the tools are already out there to do the viewing/editing and they’re not hard to use. I’m an Apple bigot so it’s all seamless for me. Shoot movie on iPhone and view it on my 11” iPad or 16” laptop so I’m not squinting at the phone screen.

Jim
hexspeed@aol.com
Phone # in Member Profile
Old 04-04-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
One things for sure,i will never have a Dick Tracy phone on my wrist!
I was with you on this. Then my wife bought me one for my birthday last month. She got it because I’m often working alone in our M380 storage unit an hour away. It allows me to call 911 from my wrist and also has a fall detector to call her and/or 911 if I don’t move or respond within 60 seconds after falling. Never used to worry about this stuff, but I’m in my 70’s and s#!@ happens.

From a more practical perspective, I’ve discovered I can place my iPhone camera into remote places and see what’s going on from my watch face. I can also take a picture or start/stop video from my watch. This “stay at home” stuff has killed my travel to do project work so haven’t been able to try it on the 380 yet. I keep reiterating to my house mate that I have a 24x55 enclosed quarantine unit around the coach with individual 50 amp, city water and a floor drain (dump station is shared, but nobody is ever there), but it falls on deaf ears.
hexspeed@aol.com
Phone # in Member Profile
Old 04-04-2020

I forgot to mention one of the often used features that you will like after you get rid of the Flip phone.

Magnifying lens for looking at stuff —-and snap a picture while your at it.

Have to share a life saver from a couple of days ago. I was taking apart the pinion seal on my RV. Took lots of generic pictures of stuff like pullers etc just so I could share with my brothers and friends about what I was doing during quarantine and to help get it all back together the same as it came apart. Of course my plan was to go get a new seal down at NAPA. I get down there and they said —- No — that’s a proprietary Daimler part, you’ll have to go to Freightliner to get that part. I’m over an hour from the dealer and I really don’t like going over there anyway. The numbers on the seal were not legible due to being obliterated during removal and cleaning. I looked back through my pictures and found one from before I took it apart and the number WAS legible. I plugged that number into EBAY and my new seal was dropped off by the USPS yesterday — exactly two days after I ordered it —- and I didn’t have to drive to Fort Worth.
The camera is that good, even a generic picture can sometimes be enlarged enough to get good information from it.

Id like to also suggest an App that I have on my IPad. It’s called “You need a Map””.
I like to get off the beaten path especially when I’m riding my bike. This map has a lot of old roads and trails that are way out in the boonies.

Max

96 BMC 40' Sold
2008 HaulMark Super C S&S
Freightliner Chassis w/ 515hp S60 & 12sp Ultrashift

Last edited by max hendrix; 04-04-2020 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Sp.
Old 04-04-2020
Forum owner

I have never worn a watch or a ring for that matter,but i'm listening to you guys.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 04-04-2020

I'm so proud of you Randy. I mean just look at you...growing up on us like this....and joining the digital world.

Where did the time go?

I mean, just the other day, you were sitting there doodling with your crayons and now you are getting a big boy phone. Guess you'll be moving out soon?

Lee County, Florida

1983 FC35 3208T "Gen X Express"
1991 Toyota 4Runner TOAD or
1980 Camaro TOAD

danahcks@aol.com
Old 04-04-2020

Quote:
either way you go (Apple of Android) if you can stick with it for a year, you'll probably come to the same conclusion that most do ... the camera is the killer 'I can't live w/o' feature. And it won't be for the typical reasons you probably think of ... but instead, stuff like,

Tiny print on medicine bottles. Snap a pic - now you can zoom in

That business card someone gave you. Snap a pic.

That diagram you saw at a rally. Snap a pic

That default PW on the bottom of that new WiFi router. Snap a pic

That wiring in that back closet cut-out that is a PITA to get to. Snap a pic

In the pit under the bus. Snap a pic of everything.

Now that you have all those pics, it's easy (really easy) to share via email and dare I say 'txt message'.

Drop the phone in the toilet ... no worries ... the omnipotent cloud has it all backed-up.

Like others have said, since Carol has a iPhone that's your answer right there on either or.
I actually use the video on mine when I had a water leak and couldn't see it. I put it on video and help my phone back in the area where my leak was. not only could I see it but I also saw how bad it was.
1999 Blue Bird 43LXi
Body # F123448
Chassis # 84788
Old 04-04-2020

I get a kick out of all you guys talking about what you do and can do with your phones. All that is fine presuming you have your phone attached to you 24/7. That is why I will never use a phone like most people. I'm sitting here right now and honestly can't tell you where my phone is. I can't see it anywhere. Furthermore I don't care. I realize some of you have businesses to run and so forth, but I feel just like I did when I was younger. Back then the phone hung on the wall, not on my belt. So for me it is almost useless. Just the other day Michele came home and said, "Did you get my message?" "No, I don't even know where my phone is." So we go looking around the place and I look in my truck and I fond it. It had apparently been in there for at least 3 days, because that was the last time I had been in my truck. I know I'm a strange duck but I also know I'm no longer important enough for anyone to need to get in contact with me. I often wonder how you guys all survived back when the phones only hung on the wall.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 04-04-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
I have never worn a watch or a ring for that matter,but i'm listening to you guys.
I have never had a phone and rarely were a watch or ring. I am finding out that I am being forced to get one (by cards, Dr. office ID, ect). Laura just got a I-Phone 11 and so to make my life easy, I will get one too "some time soon".
2006 Jeep TJ Wrangler X
See my Album!