Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 07-30-2012

Default ENGINE TEMP HARD TO CONTROL

HI

Just returned from Maine, about six hours running time. At highway speed my temp fluctuates from 180-200 degrees on the flat. When I climb a hill it will rise so I turn on my fan and normally it drops to 160. This trip the fan didn't seem to work much.

I hear the fan to on but don't see much of a change in temp. We were stuck in traffic for about an hour. with the fan on it stayed at 160.

I don't know if its a Horton I do not have air connected to it. Is there a better fan to install. I read some were here that a member installed a 2" large diameter one.

My Bird only has a water temp gauge, no trans gauge, boost gauge, etc

Running hot is not a new problem but the fan always allowed me to control it before.

Any ideas as to problem or a fan replacement?

Henry
Old 07-30-2012

Is the radiator air flow stopped up maybe? Have you cleaned it with simple green and a hard spray or even steam?

I hope it is something simple for you.
Fruita Colorado
Old 07-30-2012
Gardner

Henry,
Since it seems to have changed I would look into several options. First there could be a thremostat sticking (they are cheap and easy to replace). Beyond that the radiator may need service. A Horton air-clutch fan is the best in my opinion, but it may be slipping? I am not an expert on the clutch part, but it is rebuildable. I don't know about the CAT water pump, but I think the normal failure mode is a leak, not low output ( I could be all wet here). One other thing is the coolant. If you have added water or the mix is not right it can run hotter. It needs to be checked for proper additives also to prevent cavitation.

My fan kicks in at 195 degrees, and even on hot days (95+) pulling up long hills the temperature settles in at 200-205 degrees with the fan running. I have a 250 turbo engine.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 07-30-2012

Check all your belts, water pump and fan in particular, the gauge could be wrong, the radiator could be a problem especially if its original, coolant as Gardner mentioned, if the fan is running then I doubt that's your trouble.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 07-31-2012
Can't re-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozz 33 View Post
HI

Just returned from Maine, about six hours running time. At highway speed my temp fluctuates from 180-200 degrees on the flat. When I climb a hill it will rise so I turn on my fan and normally it drops to 160. This trip the fan didn't seem to work much.

I hear the fan to on but don't see much of a change in temp. We were stuck in traffic for about an hour. with the fan on it stayed at 160.

I don't know if its a Horton I do not have air connected to it. Is there a better fan to install. I read some were here that a member installed a 2" large diameter one.

My Bird only has a water temp gauge, no trans gauge, boost gauge, etc

Running hot is not a new problem but the fan always allowed me to control it before.

Any ideas as to problem or a fan replacement?

Henry
Myself, I'm not quite sure the problem here. To me the expectation to keep it at 160 is too cool. In the middle of summer running 180 -195 is normal (my opinion), 200 is getting close enough to keep an eye on but actually not bad. In heavy city traffic I do not manually turn on my Horton fan until around 200. It comes on automatically at 205 in my case. When my fan kicks on it immediately starts dropping and I will usually go ahead and shut it back off. I would not be driving around with the fan on at 160 or anything under 190, thats like pulling a boat anchor. Wasting fuel and performance. The reference to a larger fan may have been due to the fact that when you could buy a complete Horton kit from BB, the fan that came with it was 2" larger and required trimming the shroud on the radiator.....

John Stiles
1980 33FC
"My Navion". SOLD
Stockbridge, GA