Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Highway, Road and Weather Forecast and Radar Conditions

Highway, Road and Weather Forecast and Radar Conditions Sometimes as we travel throughout the country it may help to know what the current Highway, Road and Weather conditions are. Here is a good place to list current conditions and also good and bad roads that you have found in your travels You will also find here links to all of the USA road conditions and Weather Forecast and Radar condition web sites.

Site Search:

Old 05-19-2014

Default Looking for a flat route from B.C. To Texas

I am hauling a large car trailer down for a race in eagles canyon Texas in November. It's just outside Dallas. I would rather not go through Salt Lake City again and the map shows 37 hours using I90 through Montana. But what would be reasonable in a NA Wanderlodge pulling a 24 foot enclosed trailer? should I drop down to Sacramento on the I5?
Any real world time estimates?

thanks!
Side Bath
3208NA (for now....)
Old 05-19-2014

If you are trying to make a fast trip- the old Bluebird adage was- "you should have left yesterday.
I just arrived in Livingston, Mt from Texas. 1400+ miles. Took 3 and 1/2 days, as I quit at 4.
You will encounter some 6 % grades, generally in Montana. Road construction and ****** roads is evident from I-90, south.
If your coach is NA, your time will be more then the 37 hours. Fuel prices are pretty close to 3.99 to 3.65 in Texas
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 05-19-2014

We will have 4 drivers. We have allowed 48 hours to get there.
And then race for 37 hours and then drive home. Sounds dumb even just typing it....
Side Bath
3208NA (for now....)
Old 05-19-2014

you must be younger then me- 66+
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 05-20-2014
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

A couple summers ago it was really hot and we had to get back to Florida from Lake Tahoe. Casa Billisa does ok in the mountains, but goes slow and it was hot! It was either Las Vegas or Reno and I-80... decided to go the northern route but did not want to deal with the Rockies.

John Finn sent us around Salt Lake City and the route was pretty flat... Really. John knows how to do this stuff. It was a little bit of a detour but not bad (maybe 20 miles). Came in from the west on I 80 then pretty sure we went north on I 215 to from there to I 15 south and back to I 80. John can confirm this with more detail. There were one or two more pulls in Wyoming but not bad at all. Stayed west on I 80 until just east of the Nebraska border. Then south on US 385 through Colorado. Stayed at the the fair grounds in Burlington (50 Amp hookups $10/night nobody there). Then continued down through the National Grasslands 385 / 287 to Amarillo and I 40.... its a pretty flat run up on the high plains and it was relatively cool ... no Rockies!
St. Petersburg, Florida
Wanderlodge Social: https://mewe.com/profile/5bfc750ae760be22b1797898
Old 05-20-2014
Forum owner

going slow when its hot is a smart thing.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-20-2014

If flat is what you want...You could come down 395 from Pendelton, OR to to Reno...east side flat long north-south valleys. Then I-80 to Fernley, NV (about 20 miles). Then take 95 South to Las Vegas and 93 to Yuma. Get on I-8 to I-10. Then I-20 to Dallas. As you can tell, I am not a fan of driving the Bird on interstate highways.

1994 WB40 and a slow '73 Nova SS
Palomino Valley, NV

Where we are...

Once more I have to ask "What did humans ever do to deserve dogs?"

Map of Service Centers

Last edited by NealinNevada; 05-20-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-20-2014
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Bill View Post
A couple summers ago it was really hot and we had to get back to Florida from Lake Tahoe. Casa Billisa does ok in the mountains, but goes slow and it was hot! It was either Las Vegas or Reno and I-80... decided to go the northern route but did not want to deal with the Rockies.

John Finn sent us around Salt Lake City and the route was pretty flat... Really. John knows how to do this stuff. It was a little bit of a detour but not bad (maybe 20 miles). Came in from the west on I 80 then pretty sure we went north on I 215 to from there to I 15 south and back to I 80. John can confirm this with more detail. There were one or two more pulls in Wyoming but not bad at all. Stayed west on I 80 until just east of the Nebraska border. Then south on US 385 through Colorado. Stayed at the the fair grounds in Burlington (50 Amp hookups $10/night nobody there). Then continued down through the National Grasslands 385 / 287 to Amarillo and I 40.... its a pretty flat run up on the high plains and it was relatively cool ... no Rockies!
The above route is a good one that Bill is talking about the I-215 and I-15 NORTH not south to the Roy /Ogden area then I-84 south back over to I-80 at Echo, Utah, this takes you around the long steep grade on I-80 coming out of Salt Lake City. Further east on I-80 in Wyoming you still get to go over the Rockies up 8500 feet on I-80. Bill's 'Bird has a Cat 3208T not an NA so he could handle the grades easier.

The route below that Neal suggests is mostly non interstate highways but is much better as far as less grades to pull with a 'Bird powered by a CAT 3208NA and pulling a trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealinNevada View Post
If flat is what you want...You could come down 395 from Pendelton, OR to to Reno...east side flat long north-south valleys. Then I-80 to Fernley, NV (about 20 miles). Then take 95 South to Las Vegas and 93 to Yuma. Get on I-8 to I-10. Then I-20 to Dallas. As you can tell, I am not a fan of driving the Bird on interstate highways.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 05-20-2014

Thanks guys. I am going to plan on the Reno route. By the map it only adds an hour, so that most likely translates to a big time saving at 15 mph on the hills.
Side Bath
3208NA (for now....)
Old 05-20-2014

Man...... just got back from a little 400 mile jaunt to cooks forest PA. When we left we had turbo. An exhaust pipe let go, and there went all my power ! Couldn't find the right parts in PA. Blowin black soot all over my bus and the traylor I was pulling. After the fire alarm went off twice, we are home safely and am not looking forward to replaceing the broken pipe. Maybe I will pressure wash before starting !!!!!!!!!!!!!
2010 HD Ultra Limited 103