Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > LX and LXI (Unique Issues)

LX and LXI (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your LX or LXI model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THOSE ISSUES INVOLVED WITH ANY LAWSUIT.....list your LX and LXI Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 04-20-2015

Default No headlights, taillights, parking lights, landing lights, porch lights

I think I have the No Clearance lights narrowed down though. Finally got them on and then couldn't get them to turn back off. Switch issue?

Here is my issue on the new to me 98 LXi 43' that we just brought home two days ago.

Turn signals - When we first started the trip home to Valdosta, Ga from Tampa we new the rear turn signals weren't working nor the hazards in the rear. Since my wife would be following behind and we were only doing daytime driving it was no biggie. I assumed we would need some new bulbs, cleaning the sockets of corrosion or maybe both. I now have the curbside rear turn signal working but the street side refuses to cooperate. I thought the problem may be in the relay so I changed it out with another one. No dice. Then I think it may be a bad socket so I swapped it with the one that I knew worked. Not the socket. The front signal closest to the headlights seems to be working now along with both signal indicators down the body but nothing in the driver rear. I'm guessing this is a wiring issue and I have no idea where to start looking. I don't know if this matters but there is no clickity click click sound from under the dash when the turn signals or the hazards are turned on. However, If the back up camera monitor is turned off I will hear the clickity click from under the dash when the left turn signal has been engaged and I will also get a screen flicker on the back up monitor with every click. This only holds true for the left signal. Thoughts?

Parking lights - They should come on when the switch is thrown and when the headlight switch is turned on correct? Yeah. No. They don't.

Daytime running lights/Headlights/taillights. Nothing. Nada. I don't know where to begin to look. I do know that the taillights did come on during our drive home. I had the Headlights switched on for awhile when it started to rain and my wife said they were dim but working. I also had her drive around me and get in front so she could check the forward lights. The only thing she saw working was one headlight on the drivers side which was the only headlight working as a daytime running light when we left to come home. This morning however, no daytime running lights and no headlights. period.

Landing lights - Neither side was working when we took possession. However, this morning I flipped both switches to "on" and the forward drivers side came on. After a few minutes it too stopped working. I want to get these working but they are not a priority. Turn signal and headlights come first.

Porch lights - at this point, who cares. Priorities come first. However, I felt i should mention the fact that they aren't working in case it matters to those who are more well versed in this type of problem solving.

If it means anything, I don't think the fog lights work either.

Please let me know where to begin my trouble shooting search. I did buy a multimeter today. never used one but it doesn't look too complicated.

FWIW, once I get everything working, I'll be upgrading everything to LEDs. I've been reading the the headlights were sub par at best. Thank you for any assistance you can provide. - Dave

David & Nicole Stokes
Atlanta, Georgia
'98 LXi 43'
'97 Jeep Wrangler
229-834-8677
Old 04-20-2015

GROUNDS GROUNDS GROUNDS...
One thing not working right or at all and something else having a strange reaction when you turn it on or off is a classic example of a bad ground and Blue Birds are notorious for ground problems.

THE SHORT BUS
(She's Just a Little Slow)
Old 04-20-2015

Okay, Sounds like a good place to start. I am assuming there are many multiple grounding locations for the electrical systems. Where would I most likely find the grounding points for the chassis lights?

David & Nicole Stokes
Atlanta, Georgia
'98 LXi 43'
'97 Jeep Wrangler
229-834-8677
Old 04-20-2015
Forum owner

i would think headlight switch may be bad,since the headlights are out too.
no,you said they work but dim?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 04-20-2015

I had one headlight that was on as a running light Saturday. It remained on when I switched the headlights on but no other headlights came on. My wife said there were taillights but they were dim. Today nothing comes on. I'll try removing the switch and jumping the wire to see if I get anything. It looks as if all the relays are grounded to the grounding lugs beneath the drivers window. Lots of stuff that works are also grounded there so that connection is good.

David & Nicole Stokes
Atlanta, Georgia
'98 LXi 43'
'97 Jeep Wrangler
229-834-8677
Old 04-20-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Stokes View Post
Okay, Sounds like a good place to start. I am assuming there are many multiple grounding locations for the electrical systems. Where would I most likely find the grounding points for the chassis lights?
Most likely just grounded through the body at the mounting point. Sometimes with a wire from the socket to a mounting screw, sometimes just where the socket mounts. Try connecting a jumper wire from bulb socket to a good ground. A wire with a couple alligator clips (some people know these as roach clips) and sometimes an ice pick or awl to scratch to bare metal can help a lot in this endeavor.

THE SHORT BUS
(She's Just a Little Slow)
Old 04-20-2015
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Dave, just have to get a tester and find what is not working. I had a head light switch bad when I bought mine, but the brights would not work, turned out to be both high beams were burned out. There is an answer, just stay with it till you find it.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 04-20-2015

After some checking I think it may just be the headlight switch. I went out to take the dash panel off and I noticed that the dash didn't light up when the lights were switched on. I lifted the panel up and noticed that there was a red wire coming from the headlight switch to the nearby Aisle Lights switch. I'm guessing this is a hot wire for the aisle lights and that switch works fine. The rope lights don't work very well, however. But I'll leave that for another thread. Without a wiring schematic I don't know what wire does what and it seems most of these wires are too short the lift the panel up very far. If someone could tell me what to check and how it would be greatly appreciated. I didn't have much of a chance to trace any wires tonight since my wife called to tell me a friend was coming over to see the coach so I had to button it back up. I'll pull the panel again tomorrow.

Recap- headlight switch in the on position - no cockpit lights, no headlights, no parking lights, no taillights.

Anyone know where I can get a switch?

David & Nicole Stokes
Atlanta, Georgia
'98 LXi 43'
'97 Jeep Wrangler
229-834-8677
Old 04-20-2015
Forum owner

you have a strange combination of lights not working.
whats your battery voltage,on the dash meters.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 04-20-2015
prone to wandering

Dave, fire me off an email and I will reply to you and attach the LX parts and service manuals if you want them
Jim
jimdoel@me.com
jimdoel@me.com