Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Caterpillar 3208 Solutions

Caterpillar 3208 Solutions This sub-forum is hosted by Mike Hohnstein who has been at this kind of thing for 50+ years now, guess I'm addicted. The saga has been all about progressively larger shop space since then. Honestly, never wanted to get into the CAT 3208's that were originally considered to be a throwaway engine but that's all that works in a FC in my world. Same thing with my Ford toter, that came with a NA, too much effort to hang in a 6, so been at it with the CAT V-8 for 20 years now. In reality you can get excellent life out of a CAT 3208 if it's built correctly. Post your questions about the CAT 3208 engines here and Mike will try to help you out.

Site Search:

Old 07-29-2016
Forum owner

A runaway event happens so rarely that its not even worth thinking about it,to me anyway.

I don't want to live my life worried about "what could happen".

I guess i'm the Homer Simpson of the nuclear world!

Rich,don't forget your genny could run away too.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-29-2016

Let me add to that. The list is not limited there. What about your kids, wife, dog, cat, girlfriend. See all the stuff we could worry about if we didn't have to worry about our genny and engine. my KW engine ran away and I lived to talk about it.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 07-29-2016
Chegment

Default Nuclear Mentality

I guess it's my nuclear mentality kicking in. Always trying to invent hypothetical problems, then figuring out how to mitigate it. Long since retired, empty nest. Four kids on the loose. Don't get me wrong, by the rate that I work on this, It's obvious that I have other priorities. But it's fun right now sleuthing out some issues. Got my nose in my old Thermo book, and that's good. Better than Bocce Ball. Just sprung for a 136 dollar 5 pound CO2 extinguisher. Should have, years ago - house safety - and RV. Read the feedback reviews - all said they liked it, but never had to use it, and that's good. Hope to write the same review.
Connecticut 06089
Old 07-29-2016

Hey Rich, its always good to keep a project just for fun! The thing about snuffing an old 3208, is it how can you install an automatic safeguard to activate it. Most all the ones I've seen, have been on electronic engines which are capable of activating it in case of an overspeed, no operator input required, which makes it capable of saving an engine even if the operator steps away from the controls. So whether you use a flapper valve, or a gas to displace oxygen, well on a 3208 you will have very little time even if you are sitting there within reach. Then chances are the engine will be humming along well over 2600 rpm by the time you are able to dispense CO2, or whatever you use, well you will need enough supply to last until the engine completely stops rotating, which could be many seconds. Then, isn't there a danger of using CO2 in enclosed spaces? I read one time that people have died from fire extinguishers when they use them in enclosed areas. As a project, it is interesting to think of all the variables that may come into play!
Old 08-05-2016

Default General Diesel Runaway Solution

Years ago I worked in a San Diego Oldsmobile dealership. Because of the close proximity to Tijuana and it's subsidized diesel fuel (17 cents a gallon) we had a very high number of diesel cars to work on. 5 technicians who did nothing else but change crate engines. The Oldsmobile as you might recall had a Stanedyne pump. These pumps had a solenoid to shut off the engine. A flaw in the design was that the solenoid could be installed backwards which caused a runaway. As soon as the engine lit up it was in full throttle. Very dramatic! However if you had your wits about you, you could stop it easily. All it took was a pair of pliers or a small vice grip.
The tune up techs all carried on their body a certain type of vice grip just for this reason. It has rounded gripping jaws designed for pinching off a rubber hose and the adjustment was set permanently for a 1/4 inch line.
As I was told, when you had a runaway all you had to do was find the return line to the fuel tank and pinch it off. This worked for all diesels because they all had return lines. I even encountered the return line phenomena in fuel injected gas engines. I had car come in that had fuel pressure but the engine would not run. To confirm a plugged return line, I disconnected the return line at the engine and let it vent to a jug. The fix was a new residual pressure valve in the line and sent the fuel tank to the radiator shop to cut out the plugged return line (which had the innards of the old R.P.V. plugging it).
So you see the solution could be very simple. Knowing where the return line runs and having the means to pinch it is all that is needed for a runaway.
If you have to be fancy about it, a ball valve and a label would be nice.
Old 08-06-2016
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Justine, I don't understand how pinching the return line stops the engine? I thought the return line was from a "T"? Doesn't the fuel run to the "T" then to the engine & return? If so if you block off the return what stops the fuel from entering the engine via the "T"?

As far as a ball valve I like that solution! But then I got the visual of me in my FC trying to lift the dog house while that engine is over revving to reach the ball valve mounted on top of the engine!

I think my initial reaction will be to run AWAY from that engine! hee hee hee
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 08-06-2016

pinching the return line on a 3208 will not stop a run a way.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 08-06-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtpn60 View Post

As far as a ball valve I like that solution! But then I got the visual of me in my FC trying to lift the dog house while that engine is over revving to reach the ball valve mounted on top of the engine!

I think my initial reaction will be to run AWAY from that engine! hee hee hee
I mentioned an in-line ball valve but was told that provided a place for another air leak. If run-away engine is indeed of minimal concern it may not be not be worth the risk. But if it is a reality, a well placed valve correctly installed seems like a good option...especially on a bus with an easily accessed engine (rear).

Someone can figure this out.
Old 08-06-2016

I must admit I am not familiar with the 3208. I have not gotten down and dirty with one. Nor have I become intimate with my 8V92 (it hasn't been necessary). That said, I think before I started to redesign my coach and spent a lot of money I'd try finding the return line and pinch it off just to see if it worked.
It's like getting religion on the gallows.
When you hear a V8 diesel starting to wind up uncontrolled by it's governor, it's exhaust going from white to black then to reddish brown, you know something bad is going to happen if somebody doesn't act fast. Some people run for cover, others try to stop it. I'd hate to be in that position trying to remember where the return line is. If you've ever witnessed the scene I've described you will never forget it ...or the look on the face of the tech who put the fuel cutoff solenoid in backwards.
BTW thanks to a bystander's quick thinking the engine did not blow up, but it took about an hour for those who witnessed this to recover.
I'd try it just for the experience.
Old 08-06-2016
Forum owner

I am not worried at all about a runaway engine,it almost never happens.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com