Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 05-09-2019

Instead of disconnecting the driveshafts you could do a full float conversion on the rear axle w/lockouts and put manual lockouts on the front if needed. Then you could tow forever without any worries.

https://frontrangeoffroadfab.com/ful...er-conversion/
Old 05-10-2019
Forum owner

i like that,always have.
Full lockouts!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-11-2019

Jeeze! To much time and money spent on this Toy.
Should just get a Hummer H3 with unlimited towing miles and great offroad abilities.
Had ours now 6 years and don't take it offroad anymore.
Lowered it 3 inches so this old fart could get into it easier.
Wife loves it to!
Old 05-11-2019
Forum owner

Dana,some of the guys tell me i'm too brutal on you,always picking on you etc.
So the other day i went to see my shrink.
I told her te history and the way i mess with you and other people too.
She looked the thread up and laughed.
She said i was a little hard on you,but then she told me that Harbor Freight sells Thicker skin.
Then she asked "what are you drinking?"
I said "Corona"

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-11-2019

Randy and all, look where Dana works. If she doesn't have thick skin, she would not have lasted all these years in her job. I, for one applaud her. I know Jim and I know what it takes to do that job, especially for all the years she has been there.
Old 05-11-2019

I assure you all, I am no delicate effin flower. More like a chain male and armor covered warrior. AS for the ribbing, I can take it as long as you are equally receptive. I have no respect for anyone that can dish it out but protests when it is thrown back at them.

Now as for our new "Toy", let me explain Lucy. I enjoy working on engines. What fun is it to buy something that is in perfect working order? I like the challenge. I am sure I have missed my calling.

Long story warning.
I have taken several aptitude tests while in college and they all showed my mechanical and engineering aptitudes to be extremely high, especially for a female. And anything typically female, like teaching or nursing, was off the chart in the negative direction. So I have a degree in Hydrogeology. (it's pretty useless unless you take it to the Masters level and since I paid my own way thru college, that wasn't happening.)
So after I graduated college, I applied to the US Air Force. I wanted to be a jet engine mechanic. Had all my ducks in a row, should have been a slam dunk! Even had my degree. What I didn't know was there was some vagueness in my medical history when I was sick as a child. Military didn't like that and the doctor had since passed away. Dead in the water I was. So I decided to get married and have kids and start my career in Florida Department of Corrections, yes the big house! (It was either that or work at a chicken processing plant....NO WAY!)
Fast forward a few years, I am now unexpectedly divorced with 2 babies still in diapers, living on my mom's couch.
A family friend, who owns a Mercedes dealership in Gary Indiana offers to put me thru Mercedes school so I can become a mechanic for Mercedes! WOW! Then reality hits me, I can't do it, I can't take my babies and move to a strange place with no support for them and no income for me, while I go to school. (heartbreak). I work for myself for about 9 years while I focused on raising my kids alone. Once they were old enough, I went back to corrections to secure my retirement. While in jail, I met my husband. He was a Sergeant and has since retired. Lucky for me, he is also a mechanic! Now I have my mentor!
As for the "Toy". We traded the Mini on her and the Mini's get **** for resale value, plus she was nearly 90,000 so it was time for her to live someplace else. Now even if the Runner was in perfect working order, I would still want to take it apart based on it's age and unknown history. I do like the manual locking hubs and we will likely go that route. So far we have spent about $1,600 in parts and gaskets and we are still waiting on getting the heads and injectors back. I assure you, I would not be going to this extreme if it weren't a Toyota in such great condition. It's a labor of love. I like to tinker. It's in my DNA.
I don't share with you my trials because I want sympathy, I do it because I am proud of what I am accomplishing! To you life long mechanics, it may seem trivial, but to me, who is just starting out, it's impressive, at least to me.

On a side note, I have sold all 71 of my D&D hand painted figurines. Have also had several buyers asking me to continue painting. One even wants to commission me to paint his figurines. He apparently runs a Virtual D&D game and hosts Gen Con in Indianapolis and is using my figurines in his game. I did love painting all of them but that was very time consuming. My days are busy with engines and work and no time to pick up a brush....but who knows what I may do in my retirement. I just find it funny that D&D is still relevant. lol

Lee County, Florida

1983 FC35 3208T "Gen X Express"
1991 Toyota 4Runner TOAD or
1980 Camaro TOAD

danahcks@aol.com

Last edited by Gatorgrl; 05-11-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-11-2019
AKA Tent Boy

Nice Story, "You Go Girl"!!!

Larry Dill & Barbara Ribar
Yuma, AZ. 85367
'95 37' BMC 'Pura Vida'
'84 35' FCSB SOLD
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport
sailor7cs@gmail.com
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=26

"Barbara does all the driving, I just hold the wheel"
Old 05-11-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorgrl View Post
Now even if the Runner was in perfect working order, I would still want to take it apart

Cheers to those of us that spin wrenches for the love of the craft. Rock on, Dana.

Instagram
Old 05-11-2019

Thanks guys.

Spent the morning replacing the coils, plugs and valve cover gaskets on my daily driver, my 06 Rav 4 3.5L. She is at 180,000 and was due so she got some love.
Then this afternoon we went to the shop and began the laborious process of degreasing the Runners chassis and engine block. My least favorite task. My nails are wrecked. Judging from the amount of grease I saw, those valve covers were leaking for some time, not to mention the leaking CV joint on the pass side. I am cleaning it now so I can tell if we still have a leak once all this is fixed. I am not going to the extent that I did on my Camaro, where I wire wheeled and painted the entire engine compartment. This will be our daily driver, I just want it to be clean and dependable.

Lee County, Florida

1983 FC35 3208T "Gen X Express"
1991 Toyota 4Runner TOAD or
1980 Camaro TOAD

danahcks@aol.com
Old 05-11-2019

Am I reading this wrong? Your not pulling the engine? No rings, inserts or mains? No new oil pump? Just heads and upper end gaskets? This far down it would be on a stand getting the above even if I wasn't going to keep it forever.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656