Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 08-28-2009

Default New (to us) BB -- questions

We just got our new 89PT40WB Bluebird on Friday, took two days of driving classes, and drove it home 1300+ from California to SD. Thankfully, it is now in its nest at Hart Ranch.

Because it hasn't been used much for 5 or 6 years, there are things that need attention. As greener than newbies, we have some questions (will try to keep them to a reasonable level).

The book says to dump the tag before the suspension(but it doesn't tell you how!). We flip the switch, but how do we know if it is dumped? We suspect that it isn't, but don't know for sure.

The big surprise last night was when we hooked up the water to use it straight from the faucet and not just to fill the tanks like we had done previously, the carpet in the living area is soaked. What happened, and where do we look for a solution? We unhooked the hose, but now have carpet that is very soggy. Somehow I will need to get that dried out so it doesn't mildew. It came up from beneath and not from using the kitchen sink as we hadn't used any of the plumbing when this happend.

Thanks in advance -- I am not very technical, but I will pass on your advice to Mike who is much more so than I am but doesn't like typing, etc. on the computer.
Old 08-28-2009

Default New (to us) BB -- questions

Jana;
That is cool, working as a team LOL.

You will get all sorts of answers shortly and hopefully all your problems will be taken care of.

I recently purchased an 88XXV, so I know I will have lots of questions too. Right now, I just keep plugging away with this beauty of a beast that I have right now.
Old 08-28-2009

Ok -- Water pproblem solved (we hope). Mike just called me at work and he found a leak under the bathroom sink faucet that was soaking through the carpet there in the cabinet and running under the tiles in the kitchen to the carpet in the living area. So he tightend stuff up -- now we just need to dry it out good.

Still need information for knowledge on the tag axle -- afraid we might do something out of ignorance to do major damage there.

Thanks
Old 08-28-2009
Gardner

Hi,
The tag axel is dumped to keep from scrubbing the tag tires when making sharp slow turns like parking and manuvering around a campground at low speed. If you look at the bottom of tires before and after dumping the tag, you should notice the tire wil rise up a little since the weight is taken off. If there is no change it may not be dumping.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 08-28-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janaquilts View Post
Ok -- Water pproblem solved (we hope). Mike just called me at work and he found a leak under the bathroom sink faucet that was soaking through the carpet there in the cabinet and running under the tiles in the kitchen to the carpet in the living area. So he tightend stuff up -- now we just need to dry it out good.

Still need information for knowledge on the tag axle -- afraid we might do something out of ignorance to do major damage there.

Thanks

I believe that you have to have at least 65# of air pressure before flipping the switch and isn't there a gauge that shows the air pressure in your tag axle suspension, if so I would think that there would be 0# showing on that gauge, I'm trying to understand this by reading the 89PTWB manual in our database. Page 2-6 #26

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	89PTWB TAG AXLE DUMP.jpg
Views:	779
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	2727  

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 08-28-2009

Howdy.
In our 1993 Wanderlodge, there is a gauge showing the air pressure for the tag axle in the cockpit area. I am attaching a photo. We are parked and the gauge reads zero.

Hope the photo uploads OK.
Regards,
Liz Pearce
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tag Axle Gauge 002.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	318.7 KB
ID:	2728  
Lone Star Corral SKP park
Dhanis, Republic of Texas
SKPs
Liz
CORRAL NEWS Editor
www.lonestarcorral.com
Old 08-28-2009
95 WB 42

Mike and Jana
Congratulations with your NEW Bird!!
On ours if ya'll remember the dump switches are located below the ignition switch on the shifter housing,just at left leg while seated.
Top switch is for front and rear drive axles---air this up first dump last--
Bottom switch is for tag axle only---dump first air up last---
this prevents overloading tag axle with full weight of Bird. As previous post indicated this also helps when making sharp turns.
Please keep in mind that yours may be different than our 1982pt.
I'm looking foward to seeing your Bird we are coming back to Sturgis again in 2010 staying at Rush No More site #64 again, come camp with us.
Call if necessary

1995 WB 42 Series 60
Perry Georgia
770-548-1441 cell

Last edited by Ed Wimberley; 08-28-2009 at 07:49 PM. Reason: OLD memory cells or lack thereof.
Old 08-28-2009

The tag axle dump sw should release the pressure on the tag, but remember it dosnt remove the braking!
You can put some major flat spots on the tires if you use the brakes with the tag unloaded...
Ask me how I know ;{

HTH, Joe

'93 WB40, Alligator - Sold
Sedona, AZ
Still having fun- even though the the BlueBirds Away!
Old 08-29-2009
Former Bird Owner

Be aware, too, that dumped air in the tag can allow the rear end to drop lower than expected. I'd dumped tag air for maneuvering through a congested lot adjacent to a business where I had some service work done, and as I was leaving the lot, I had to cross a Texas drainage ditch traversed by the driveway. (If you've been to Texas, you'll know what I mean.) I had intended to inflate the tag axle by that point, but traffic and the maneuvers caused it to slip my mind. When I negotiated that ditch, the rear came down further than expected, and bent the drop receiver I use with my tow bar (toad was not attached). Ruined it completely. Put one heck of a divot in the driveway, too.

I might have scraped with the tag air up -- but I'm sure it was worse with out it.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 08-29-2009
Geek

I find that remembering to release the tag and to repressurize it is one of the harder things for me. It is usually involved with the type of maneuvering around a tight area that requires concentration on other things, making the tag easy to forget.

The recommendation to drop the tag first is because if you drop the main suspension first it puts a lot of weight (about 15,000 pounds) on each tag tire. In my experience flipping both of the switches at the same time is fine - the suspension is not that quick to lose air.

The attached picture shows the dash on our '90, which I suspect is similar to the '89. There is no gauge for either the main suspension or for auxiliary air, only for tag air and front and rear brakes.

I try to remember to depressurize the tag when maneuvering on pavement, because I've seen those tires distort dramatically sideways when turning tightly. On other surfaces my decision is based on how sharp I need to turn. I have a tighter radius with no pressure on the tags as they can easily move sideways.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tagair.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	2735  
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1