Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues)

BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your BMC coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....List your BMC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 12-23-2009

Default BMC - what's the difference?

Gents,
I'm fairly new to the BB world and I'm aware of the BB Wanderlodge, and the BMC Wanderlodge. But I guess I really need someone to point me in the right direction for doing research. I've identified the engine and transmission differences, but are there others? What are the differences? The frame construction? The bells and whistles? Is there a website I can go to and do some homework for a few hours? Who is BMC and why did they make seperate coaches? And why do dogs always turn around twice before laying down on their beds? Thanks for the help. - Tom
Old 12-23-2009

Tom,

From the little I know from when I thought about getting a BMC, here are a few bits of info:

only produced from 1994-1997
BMC stands for Bluebird Motor Coach
built on a Spartan Chassis instead of All American Chassis like Wanderlodges
fewer bells and whistles than a Wanderlodge

Dogs turn around several times because when wild, that is how they got their "nest" ready...!
VB 1570
Old 12-23-2009

Water spins around the drain. Therefore water is: kin to dogs or wild.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 12-23-2009
Forum owner

the BMC was built as an introductory coach,or as a less expensive model.
It has a few less bells and whistles,but it was built on the wanderlodge assembly line,its built just like a wanderlodge.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-23-2009

the only thing BMC is missing is about 6 feet, series60 and the big price tag
everything else is there

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267 or 905 246 4295
Please use email or telephone to contact

Last edited by Stephen; 12-23-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-23-2009

I first owned a 83 FC35 Wanderlodge, and now a 94 BMC 37'.

A few things on the BMC 37' coaches (I have never been in a BMC 40').

The 95 - 97 BMC 37's have features the 94 do not, such as upgraded dashes with more gauges, and diesel fired heat and hot water, better inverter wiring/panel. The 94 has propane heat furnace and propane heat hot water via a 45 gallon propane on board tank. The hot water tank is electric, plus propane, plus engine coolant loop to heat driving down the road.

The 37 foot is a wide body 102", and 37 and 1/2 foot in length, to top of ac units is approx 11'6". No goat rails on the roof. 2 ACs, one fantistic fan in bath, and one koolmatic fan in kitchen, dedicated seperate ice maker.

Spartan chassis (lots of service centers), cummin 8.3 with pac engine brake (lots of service centers), allison 3060 6 speed trans with 2 overdrive gears (lots of service centers).

A reliable 8 mpg under most conditions (around the same as the SPs and FCs, better MPG than the PTs). No tag axle on the 37s. 10KW generator front mount on electric ram for easy service access. Side radiator, good cummins engine access through rear hatch and from hatch under the bed matress.

Steel sides and roof, fiberglass front and rear cap, fiberglass cargo doors for the basement.

There were 3 silent recalls for the BMC 37's, well documented in the BMC section this forum. Some coaches had them done, some do not.

Good solid construction, nice wood work in interior. I liked my FC35, upgraded for more engine power, more trans speeds, and walk around bed versus the FC side mount bed, and the wide body. I liked the PTs, but prices were still high when I bought the BMC, and I really do like the extra MPG the BMC delivers. I also like the shorter coach and lack of a tag axle for a bit less complexity and maintainance cost.

I've been in a bunch of sticks builts on the Spartan Chassis, and the BMC on the Spartan chassis definitly seems the batter coach on this platform.

I still like PTs, SPs, and FCs as well. The BMC is working fine for our fulltiming, and we plan to keep this coach a very long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFFlyer View Post
Gents,
I'm fairly new to the BB world and I'm aware of the BB Wanderlodge, and the BMC Wanderlodge. But I guess I really need someone to point me in the right direction for doing research. I've identified the engine and transmission differences, but are there others? What are the differences? The frame construction? The bells and whistles? Is there a website I can go to and do some homework for a few hours? Who is BMC and why did they make seperate coaches? And why do dogs always turn around twice before laying down on their beds? Thanks for the help. - Tom

Last edited by AC7880; 03-30-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-23-2009

Default Excellent

Thanks gentlemen. I've learned some new things today. - Tom
Old 12-23-2009
RV Appraiser

I partially agree with the comments on the BMC, it is a great coach. Where I differ, I really don't think Blue Bird put all the amenities and the quality of material in the BMC that they did in the Wanderlodge. The Quality of Craftsmanship is there but the materials are not the same grade IMO. The reason why I say this is why would any company build anything to lose money. Take a 1997 Wanderlodge for an example it was around 850K plus when it was new and the 97 BMC was 350K+, there is a difference. Yes they were built by the same company (except chassis on the BMC) so was the Town Car and the Grand Marquis, don't get me wrong, I'd own a BMC in a heartbeat, but I can't say they are the same. I have a dear friend who owns a BMC it's a super coach, his answer would be is the BMC is not as complicated as the Wanderlodge. We all raz the BMC guys, out of jealousy because they don’t have to tinker & fix stuff as much as us Wanderlodge guys do. As Randy said the BMC was an entry level coach and even though it may had been it was far superior then anything else out there in the same price range. So if you find a BMC that meets your needs buy it! We'll still love you!!!
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 12-24-2009

Lot's more BMC info here: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/BlueBirdBMCowners/

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFFlyer View Post
Thanks gentlemen. I've learned some new things today. - Tom
Old 12-24-2009

OK the one thing I need to now is If by chance there is a impact does a BMC blow apart like a stick and staples. Or Does it simply crush every thing in its path like a mid 80s wanderlodge.
82 FC 33 250 left me for another
Sumner Wa.