Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 05-09-2010
cmillsap

Default Alternator Wire

When I was at Coachworx, Rick and I were going over some PM items that I should watch for. One thing that stuck in my memory was the wire that runs from the alternator (see pic) has been known to become fatigued over time due to vibration and will break at the alternator stud. This wire is connected directly to the battery bank. It can fall down and short on the alternator housing and start a fire. Rick said it should be replaced with an insulated braided wire that is more flexible to absorb the vibration. I didn't think to ask if he had a readily available part # for such an odd part and I haven't found a suitable replacement yet. If anyone has replaced theirs, I would appreciate a part # and source. I will also call Rick next week to see if he has the part # of a suitable replacement and post it if he does.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20100511_0001_1.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	468.1 KB
ID:	4938  
Old 05-09-2010
Forum Moderator

Thanks Chuck. I'll take all the anti-fire tips you can send my way. By the way I've had some good luck with my pulsing alternator problem. Will post info over on the correct thread.
Old 05-09-2010

If I were looking for extremely flexible cable of that size, I would buy welding cable and ends then build my own cable. Nothing more flex that I'm aware of.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 05-09-2010
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
If I were looking for extremely flexible cable of that size, I would buy welding cable and ends then build my own cable. Nothing more flex that I'm aware of.
Rick I'm not an Engineer but would like to offer the following. If vibration is the problem and you have a super flexible wire then it will oscillate even more vigorously than a more rigid wire. To my way of thinking the more flexible wire will fail also and possibly even sooner than the more rigid wire. Now this 'braided' thing may have a mechanical/physical advantage that the structural characteristics of simple strand wire in a linear configuration cannot emulate. What do you experts think?
Old 05-09-2010

I think Rick is right. The welding cable is very flexxy. Could be made longer and ty-rapped to something else to help support it. Rick in Ohio

1980 FC35, 1961 PD4106 GMC SN:326 Charter member of the Two Bus Club for now
I am in Toledo, Ohio
Rick Gunther
Old 05-09-2010

Rob, For sure, I'm not an engineer. Heck I would not even make a decent Brakeman. For sure a bracket with an Adel clamp to hold the cable instead of depending on the crimped and soldered cable end would be a better solution
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 05-10-2010
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Rob, For sure, I'm not an engineer. Heck I would not even make a decent Brakeman. For sure a bracket with an Adel clamp to hold the cable instead of depending on the crimped and soldered cable end would be a better solution

Correct. You'd be better to minimize the vibration than to try and find a wire to tolerate it. If you'd put a clamp on that small bolt head at the back of the alternator and then hold the wire 2-3 inches from the +12v stud you'd probably sleep better.

From my experience with vibration and fatique I can share this little story. I put an air compressor on an old gas engine years ago and it was the tallest thing on the engine. Due to the engine mounts and drive belt pulses or vibrations the compressor was allowed to move (vibrate) a little with the head.

The mount was 1/2" plate steel bolted to the front of the head with 3 bolts. First the compressor mount failed and I was using grade-5 bolts. I was told grade-8 was stronger and should use them. Not only did it fail faster but was much more difficult to remove the broken bolts.

What I discovered was the grade-8 was harder but more brittle too and would not stand up to the vibration of the pulsing drive belts. I went back to grade-5 bolts and installed a small 1/8" x 1" metal strap from the other head to a compressor head bolt to help stop it from vibrating. It's been that way now for 10 years without any issue.

So the simple fix is to reduce or eliminate the vibration by supporing one or both ends with a clamp. Now, why was I putting a compressor on an Olds 455 gas engine? Why, that's a nother story...
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 05-10-2010

Just my .02 worth- the alternator lead should be fused near the battery bank connection. Mine was not- but sure is now! It's about 6' long and runs over the engine from the charging compartment and shunt that feeds the dash gauge. The alternator lead in the picture goes to a stud and then the lead goes elsewhere. I'd be tempted to remove the stud and short wire and replace them with a longer piece of 2/0 welding cable. I know BB used those junction studs frequently, but at the very least, they should have an insulating boot covering the hot stud.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	192500.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	4941  

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 05-10-2010

In Chuck's case, a combination of the two repairs might work better. The stud is frame mounted and won't vibrate like the engine mounted alternator will. So having a support bracket to suuport the super flexible cable will take the weight off the connection ends, yet still allow for each end to flex independantly of the other.

I've got the same setup, as I do most of the other S60 powered birds do.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 05-11-2010
cmillsap

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfedeli View Post
I know BB used those junction studs frequently, but at the very least, they should have an insulating boot covering the hot stud.
Shane,

I sure agree with that. These coaches have several exposed "hot" studs from front to rear.