Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 08-05-2015
Geek

Default Experience with my latest changes.

Our M380 was idle for a little more than 5 months, during which a few things were done that I've now gotten 1200 miles of experience with in the past week.

First was new front shocks. There is no question that the handling of bumps is better, but how much better I'm not able to say because of the long idle time between running with old vs new shocks. From all of the threads about shocks I'm guessing most of us are finding 10+ years to be the limit on the originals.

Second was an alternator adjustment. Jim B told me at Q how easy it was to adjust the voltage, and I did just that. My running voltage as shown by VMSpc was 13 volts and now is 14 volts. Nice to stop at a rest stop and have full house batteries - they were run down a bit in the past.

Finally the big one was getting the engine-brake select gear moved from 4th to 5th. I'm loving it! Now I run most of the time with the brake turned on, and feather the throttle to keep it off when I don't want any braking on a light downhill, or let it come on for a moderate hill. For steeper hills I slow to 56mph or less and then manually downshift to 4th. No more over-revving.

Three relatively minor things, but all making travel more enjoyable!
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 08-06-2015

Smile

I agree with you on the Engine Brake, I Had mine changed to come on in 5th gear and like it a lot better.
Old 08-09-2015

Thanks Don,
Very helpful info for me. I changed shocks @ 10 years, 135k miles (Konis), didn't notice much change. My engine brake uses 5th and I run with it all the time, usually in HI. Couldn't drive this thing without it. How do you adjust that alternator?
Old 08-09-2015
Geek

The regulator is on the bottom at the back. There is an adjustment screw in a hole, and the hole has a threaded plug in it. Have to work a bit blind. Remove the plug and get an appropriate flat-blade ready, attach a voltmeter (they say to attach to the alternator, but easier and OK to attach to battery), then start engine and go to high-idle with the cruise control. Adjust the screw to something below 14.2 volts.
Old 08-09-2015
"fire-bird"

Default m-380

I'd like to change engine brake also. Did you have it done, or do you know the steps to do it ?

Jon Oswell
Harwich, MA.
2004 M380
Old 08-09-2015
Geek

It requires special Allison software. So, you have to use an Allison dealer. The guy that did mine was at a rather small Cummins/Allison location, and had never done this particular programming before. Took him about 20 minutes to figure out how, and a couple of minutes to do it.
Old 09-15-2015

Had the transmission serviced by Stewart & Stevenson yesterday and had them reprogram the exhaust brake to 5th gear. Excellent results! I will use the brake a lot more now except in towns. It's a bit noisy with a straight pipe. Thanks for the information Don!
1984 FC35 SB Wanderlodge II (sold)
Old 09-15-2015
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBERIC35 View Post
Had the transmission serviced by Stewart & Stevenson yesterday and had them reprogram the exhaust brake to 5th gear. Excellent results! I will use the brake a lot more now except in towns. It's a bit noisy with a straight pipe. Thanks for the information Don!
As usual, there is very little that I've done that is completely original. I always thought I would try to get the shift RPM changed, but it was a post by Bob Griesel when he had his changed to 5th that got me thinking that way. I don't know if Bob got the idea from somebody else, or not, but we pass these things along!
Old 09-19-2015

When I was in the fuse panel outside the drivers window I found a switch that someone has added with a hand written tag that says "Trans Override".

What could that do?
2019 Renegade Verona LE 40 LTS Super C
Old 09-19-2015

Ron,

That is to override the safety that will keep the transmission in neutral if the slide does not say it is in and locked. It will allow you to drive down the highway with the slide out if you wish