Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 08-02-2016

Default Fan Bypass Valve Solenoid

With help from Shane via email, a post by Ed Allison and schematics by John Wyatt I was able to resurrect my engine fan bypass valve. My solenoid valve would not operate. The solenoid coil was ok but the valve would not operate thus causing my fan to constantly operate on high. No fun when you have two miles of dirt road between you and the highway. Ed posted the info on a Meyer (15661) solenoid that would fit our valves (pic 1). The new valve does not look identical to the old (pic 2), but the critical parts match (3,4,5). After draining the system I installed the new solenoid (pic 6) and wired it. Since the new solenoid is one wire and the old is two wire I had to add a relay to control it (pic 7 & 8). The fan operates on high anytime it loses 12 volts from the alarmstat or ground from the bypass switch on the dash. I switched the ground side of the relay coil with the bypass switch. The result is a fan that does not move at startup but goes to high if I remove a wire from the alarmstat or switch to bypass on the dash. I'm a happy camper! On a side note, I found part numbers on WOG for both 3 micron and 10 micron reservoir filters. There is a label on the top of my reservoir that says "10 micron only".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15661C-2.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	43995   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7450 (800x533).jpg
Views:	244
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	43996   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7453 (800x533).jpg
Views:	200
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	43997   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7454 (800x533).jpg
Views:	201
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	43998   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7455 (800x533).jpg
Views:	193
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	43999   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7442 (800x533).jpg
Views:	207
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	44000   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7444 (800x533).jpg
Views:	189
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	44001  
1986 PT40 8v92
"Sturdy Birdy"
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=352
ce@pinelandplantation.com

Last edited by Chap; 08-03-2016 at 05:24 AM. Reason: added part number
Old 10-29-2016

Talking

I promised Chap that I would post an update to his post for what I found. Here it goes:

While a WOG 2016 I decided that I was going to try to fix my fan solenoid problem. Chap answered my post with a link to this one and what he did to fix his fan solenoid issue. I found out that Chap was going to be at the Rally and we met up and I personally saw how he wired his up. Chap's solenoid itself was bad and he replaced it with the Meyer snow plow pump solenoid as outlined in this post.

Don Meyer and myself took my coil off and checked it for continuity of which it had none. This was the suspected bad part to my fan woes. The solenoid that Chap replaced his with had a 1/2" stem to the solenoid because he had a bad solenoid. As it turned out that is what Don's bus has on his. Mine on the other hand has a stock 3/8" stem. I had resorted to replacing my solenoid valve and coil with the same Meyer snow plow pump solenoid that Chap used. This would mean losing at least some fluid if not draining it entirely.

I set off to purchasing the new solenoid and coil kit. I looked up the solenoid valve that Chap used and then I found a Meyer "A" Valve coil that was for a 3/8" stem P/N 15392. Determined to fix this one way or the other I bought both the solenoid kit that Chap used and this "A" valve coil. I received both. Low and behold the the "A" valve coil was a direct fit although a single wire. I installed it today and wired it through a relay as Chap described and now I have a fan that cycles through the switch and through the alarmstat. I am a happy camper now.

Thanks Chap for all of you hard work and input and knowledge exchange.

Side note: Bluebird apparently used both 3/8" and 1/2" stem solenoids for the fan in 1986. If you have a bad solenoid regardless of the stem size, you can buy either valve as a valve only or coil only or as a complete kit. This should help a lot of guys out there get their fans working properly. If the coil is bad replace that only or if you just need a new valve, you can buy that separately. You will need to wire these through a relay as Chap described as these are all single wire coils as opposed to two wire coils that were originally installed.
AA3RA
1986 PT40
Silver 6V92 DD (Breathing Wide Open)
Old 10-29-2016

Good find Rich! Nice having the fan work as it was meant to isn't it?
1986 PT40 8v92
"Sturdy Birdy"
Old 10-29-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap View Post
Good find Rich! Nice having the fan work as it was meant to isn't it?
Well, I will need to tell you more about that when I run the coach. I used the dash switch to turn it on and off here at home and then disconnected the alarmstat to simulate it tripping to activate the fan. I am sure it will be better though. Thanks for all of your help.

P.S. Pulled the jacks off today too so, that is the next job.
AA3RA
1986 PT40
Silver 6V92 DD (Breathing Wide Open)
Old 10-29-2016

I just read Chap's original post. I don't know that I understand the configuration, as the response post seems to be different. So, to head off a possible overheating problem I just have a question.

Does the Chap configuration not have a low fan rotation now and does it rely on the alarmstat solely to prevent overheating? (Ie. fan does not turn until alarmstat high temp is reached and energizes the fan to high?). After which it stops (does not go to low speed) after the low function of the alarmstat is reached? An approximate 8 degree spread. I am not considering over or under shoot, just basic operations as wired.

Thanks.

Former "Smoke N Mirrors" caretaker
Old 10-30-2016

Our '85 and '86 fans are either "off" or "on", there is not a low speed rotation. The fan engages at full speed when the thermostat opens on rise. We have a "normally closed" 2-wire horton fan thermostat.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 10-30-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwasnewski View Post
I just read Chap's original post. I don't know that I understand the configuration, as the response post seems to be different. So, to head off a possible overheating problem I just have a question.

Does the Chap configuration not have a low fan rotation now and does it rely on the alarmstat solely to prevent overheating? (Ie. fan does not turn until alarmstat high temp is reached and energizes the fan to high?). After which it stops (does not go to low speed) after the low function of the alarmstat is reached? An approximate 8 degree spread. I am not considering over or under shoot, just basic operations as wired.

Thanks.
Leroy,
When I start up, my fan doesn't turn. If I manually switch to high the fan goes to high speed regardless of engine temp. If I switch back to normal operation the fan slows down to very slow rotation (maybe 100 rpm or so) at idle but does not completely stop again. In 90 degree temps towing my jeep I see the engine temp ease up to just over 190 and then drop to about 185. Returning from WOG Sunday in cooler temps it seemed to pretty much stay at 190. Also, like Rich, if I disconnect the alarm stat the fan defaults to high.
1986 PT40 8v92
"Sturdy Birdy"
Old 10-30-2016

Chap and Rich,
Thanks for posting a solution for a replacement of this fan solenoid. Although I studied your picture I am not getting the wiring configuration you employed with the relay. If not too much trouble could you post a drawing of the wiring. Thanks.
Kansas, Il
Old 10-30-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejallison1 View Post
Chap and Rich,
Thanks for posting a solution for a replacement of this fan solenoid. Although I studied your picture I am not getting the wiring configuration you employed with the relay. If not too much trouble could you post a drawing of the wiring. Thanks.
It ain't much to look at but here's an attempt. Maybe one of the gifted guys can clean it up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161030_170103790-800x450.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	45734  
1986 PT40 8v92
"Sturdy Birdy"
Old 10-30-2016

Ok. Thanks.

I don't own a bus anymore but remember back in the day when there was no forum, no one knew what an alarmstat was. It's a temperature switch with a fancy name. I remember calling BB about it. They told me it was a Kysor; I thought they said Kaiser. I'm going, what the ****, it's a car.

Anyway, you have it under control. I was just concerned if a manual control was wired, forgetting to turn it on can cost big green.

Carry on!!

Former "Smoke N Mirrors" caretaker