Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Catastrophes, Fires, Flood, Accidents, etc...

Catastrophes, Fires, Flood, Accidents, etc... Post those photos, videos and articles about the above topics right here of both 'Birds and other RV's to share and compare with the group.

Site Search:

Old 09-10-2012
davidmbrady

Maybe, but there's absolutely no room under my coach for a muffler to bake my batteries or my charge air cooler or my radiator, besides I'm pretty much hooked on the engine compartment chimney effect cooling I get when I pull in for the day. I've been on the roof after a hard run. It's like 1hp fan pushing hot air out the chase - no need for a squirrel cage cooling fan in the engine compartment. Besides, there's no real fire risk in a well maintained coach. If the exhaust system is rusted and leaking then there may be a problem, but that's true with any system.
Old 09-10-2012
Timberlake Products Group

I guess they have put 5 gallons of "stuff' into a 5 gallon bucket engine compartment wise... Never enough room

Ryan and Michelle Saari
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida

My Ebay store:http://stores.ebay.com/Timberlake-Pr...oup?rmvSB=true
Old 09-10-2012
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmbrady View Post
Maybe, but there's absolutely no room under my coach for a muffler to bake my batteries or my charge air cooler or my radiator, besides I'm pretty much hooked on the engine compartment chimney effect cooling I get when I pull in for the day. I've been on the roof after a hard run. It's like 1hp fan pushing hot air out the chase - no need for a squirrel cage cooling fan in the engine compartment. Besides, there's no real fire risk in a well maintained coach. If the exhaust system is rusted and leaking then there may be a problem, but that's true with any system.
I concur. The design is fine. I improved on it by putting in the SS system with a fast flow through muffler. For that and the new bark to my Jake I again thank you David.
Old 09-11-2012
davidmbrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Yes,thats how it looked.

Hey,380 owners.
well,not just 380 owners,all of you with coachs with exhaust though the roof.
The other day Cliff and i ran together for about 6 hours in the heat.

We both had temp guns and on several long pulls we both had the girls go to the bedroom and take temp readings on the bedroom wall,where the exhaust pipe goes up.

My LXI got up to 102 degrees.
Cliffs was 132 degrees.
Mine is Laminate,cliffs is wood,i have no idea if that matters.
Neither one of us had the AC on.

I would like for all of you to do the same,take readings during the day,lets see if the 380 runs hotter,or if the Series 60 runs hotter,or 8v92 or Cummins in the LX.
The Cummins may in fact run hotter,or the chase may be smaller on the 380.
Anybody want to take part?
Outside temp is 80 deg F. After many medium pulls with turbo pyrometer at 650 deg F my bedroom wall is 85 deg F.

I removed a piece of internal cabinetry wall to get to the chase itself. The chase is covered in spray on foam insulation. I measured 110 deg F at the very top, 115 deg F at 1/3rd the way down and 120 deg F half way down.

I then parked the coach in my garage and let the natural convection cool my engine compartment. The temps in the chase reversed themselves. I measured 110 deg F at the top 100 1/3rd the way down and 95 half way down.

I'd say that when I'm running air is sucked in from the chrome tip end and when I'm stationery it's a chimney.
Old 09-11-2012
Forum owner

so,maybe a scoop on top would help cool it while driving?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 09-11-2012

Why not a straight pipe with header tape, my system uses that to keep heat out of the transmission and passenger side front air bags, it's simple and it works.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 09-11-2012
davidmbrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crit Bliss View Post
Why not a straight pipe with header tape, my system uses that to keep heat out of the transmission and passenger side front air bags, it's simple and it works.
That's what I would do Crit, but I'd use a ceramic coating on the muffler and I'd remove the insulation blanket.

I'm running an 11" diameter muffler with a straight thru design (can drop a tennis ball thru it) and I removed my insulation blanket. My bedroom is as cool as the rest of the coach.

The interior wall where I read 86 deg F is separated from the insulated chase by a 3" dead air space. Dead air insulates very well. I'm reading 120 or so at the chase insulation - it's comfortably warm to the touch.

130 deg F on an interior wall surface would require quite a bit of heat at the insulated chase. Maybe the kind of heat you get with escaping exhaust gases, maybe...

Randy,

I agree, I think you could push cooling air down that flue.
Old 09-12-2012
davidmbrady

It'd be interesting to open up an M380 bedroom cabinet to see if BB insulated the muffler chase.
Old 09-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Yes,thats how it looked.

Hey,380 owners.
well,not just 380 owners,all of you with coachs with exhaust though the roof.
The other day Cliff and i ran together for about 6 hours in the heat.

We both had temp guns and on several long pulls we both had the girls go to the bedroom and take temp readings on the bedroom wall,where the exhaust pipe goes up.

My LXI got up to 102 degrees.
Cliffs was 132 degrees.
Mine is Laminate,cliffs is wood,i have no idea if that matters.
Neither one of us had the AC on.

I would like for all of you to do the same,take readings during the day,lets see if the 380 runs hotter,or if the Series 60 runs hotter,or 8v92 or Cummins in the LX.
The Cummins may in fact run hotter,or the chase may be smaller on the 380.
Anybody want to take part?
Took some temp readings today...
Outside temp 97
Long climb on highway 50 to Lake Tahoe
My coach is a single slide with cabnet in area of chase
Bedroom wall got up to about 100
Inside cabnet wall where chase is located...got up to 120 at peak reading
Old 09-15-2012

Default M380 fire

We have a double slide M380 and when the slide is in it would be a double wall. I will take a reading from inside the closet next time we hit the road. Hope to have cool temps to report.
About a week before Cliff had his near fire experience, we had a strange smell coming from the rear of the coach. When we stopped that evening I inspected the exhaust chase and found the insulation loose and leaning against the muffler. I spent the next 2 days gluing the insulation back to the wall and making panels with 1/2 inch aluminum channel and hardware cloth. I screwed the panels to the walls all around the chase to hold the insulation in place. If I ever figure out how to post pics.....will post them. Hope this takes care of the possible fire danger. Won't know if it actually works until we head to Sante Fe (heading to the balloon festival).
Missouri