Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Catastrophes, Fires, Flood, Accidents, etc...

Catastrophes, Fires, Flood, Accidents, etc... Post those photos, videos and articles about the above topics right here of both 'Birds and other RV's to share and compare with the group.

Site Search:

Old 10-02-2017
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
How old was that bus to not have maxi/parking brakes?
The video title says it is a 1964.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 10-02-2017
Forum owner

i think it was older than 64,but what do i know?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-02-2017

From the video it appeared that the bus rolled but I think it was the camera going thru the window as it was broken. The bus stayed upright. Tragic but the driver of the bus had no fault in it.

I wonder if that was suicide by vehicle or a medical related cause. Or I guess the fellow could have fallen asleep. Sad happens dozens of times a day. (However not involving a vintage bus)

One of those dash cameras not a bad idea.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 10-02-2017
Forum owner

I'm being an arm chair quarterback,but i would have installed spring brakes first thing.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-02-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblerboy64 View Post
From the video it appeared that the bus rolled but I think it was the camera going thru the window as it was broken. The bus stayed upright. Tragic but the driver of the bus had no fault in it.

I wonder if that was suicide by vehicle or a medical related cause. Or I guess the fellow could have fallen asleep. Sad happens dozens of times a day. (However not involving a vintage bus)

One of those dash cameras not a bad idea.
Watching the video, it leads me to think that it was more than likely driver inattention. Texting, dropped something and looking for it, ??? If you look close at the last second the driver is reacting and turning hard to the right but it is obviously too late.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 10-02-2017

Jim you would be the resident expert on this one.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 10-02-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
Watching the video, it leads me to think that it was more than likely driver inattention. Texting, dropped something and looking for it, ??? If you look close at the last second the driver is reacting and turning hard to the right but it is obviously too late.
If that turns out to be the case (distracted driving), they need to show this to young folks who are getting their license. Maybe better still, have them text anything for three seconds, then show them this film. From the time he began to veer to collision was approximately 3 seconds....closing velocity between vehicles about 100 mph.

1994 WB40 and a slow '73 Nova SS
Palomino Valley, NV

Where we are...

Once more I have to ask "What did humans ever do to deserve dogs?"

Map of Service Centers
Old 10-02-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealinNevada View Post
If that turns out to be the case (distracted driving), they need to show this to young folks who are getting their license. Maybe better still, have them text anything for three seconds, then show them this film. From the time he began to veer to collision was approximately 3 seconds....closing velocity between vehicles about 100 mph.
I agree Neal but doubt it would do any good. I see so many people texting on a daily basis it is ridiculous. In this particular video, you also have another issue. Poor visibility may have had some bearing. The bus is casting a long shadow in front of it. Again, if you look real close and pause the video at the proper time, the driver has his sun visor down all the way, you can't see his head from the camera angle. Anyway, he clearly had the sun in his eyes, so that is just another factor that comes into play. All the more reason to be paying much more attention to your driving, than to something else. Driver inattention is a sad result of our way of life. We have all been guilty of it, myself included. I have never texted because I don't even have texting on my phone, but I have dropped something or spilled a drink in my lap. Sometimes those cup holders are almost as dangerous as our phones. Drive thru Mickey D's have been responsible for a lot of accidents. As I understand it German cars sold in Germany didn't have cup holders in them for a while. They thought that it too much of a distraction. It's too bad that they succumbed to pressure and many, but not all, have them now. People just don't believe that you have to devote 100% of your attention to your driving. Even when you do things still happen.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 10-02-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
I agree Neal but doubt it would do any good.
I remember when they would take the fatal wreck DUI cars and put them at the toll booths along the turnpike in Connecticut. Sure as heck got my attention. Years later they removed them because too many folks complained that it was too brutal to see. First responders had to see it, but the snowflake public thought it was too much to see.

If one kid in 100 woke up from the experience of viewing this film (and I would show them the photos of the remains of the car), I say do it. I always thought that the GPS chip in phones should be used so that you could receive incoming calls, but you couldn't answer until your speed was zero. The same could be applied to texting BUT you could only see who texted you (with no message viewable) and you could only see the text and reply when speed was zero.

1994 WB40 and a slow '73 Nova SS
Palomino Valley, NV

Where we are...

Once more I have to ask "What did humans ever do to deserve dogs?"

Map of Service Centers
Old 10-03-2017
Black Sheep Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
I'm being an arm chair quarterback,but i would have installed spring brakes first thing.
More than a notion on that bus, kinda like a Cummins swap in an FC.

TOM