Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Catastrophes, Fires, Flood, Accidents, etc...

Catastrophes, Fires, Flood, Accidents, etc... Post those photos, videos and articles about the above topics right here of both 'Birds and other RV's to share and compare with the group.

Site Search:

Old 04-03-2018

Default Wheels away

This happened to a Canadian friend on Easter. He has a 1962 PD4106 GM bus like mine. He had recently done a full brake job, new shoes, drums, studs and thimbles. These are stud piloted 10 hole Budd wheels. The new studs were pressed into the hubs, not drawn in with a nut. They were tightened with a known good torque wrench. He is going to do some forensics to determine what happened. I'm thinking overtorqued or defective studs or both. A good idea is to specify Euclid or another good brand of studs and nuts when replacing them.

We had a bit of an “oops” today. We had the right rear duals pass us on the highway today. First off, we are fine, the bus hasn’t suffered irreparable damage, we are safe , no one was hurt, and other than the Jeep no other damage. We’re not looking to find fault, just putting the information out there so everyone can learn along with us.
We are in good hands , the towing company is very knowledgeable and respectful of old busses. They have already arranged to have a shop bring the bus indoors.

+8

LikeShow more reactions
CommentShare

Chronological

1980 FC35, 1961 PD4106 GMC SN:326 Charter member of the Two Bus Club for now
I am in Toledo, Ohio
Rick Gunther
Old 04-04-2018

I think the 450 ft.lb. dogma for the inner castle nut is too much. Torque tables are variable for many obscure reasons, however I'm comfortable with 350 on the inners and 450 for the outers.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 04-04-2018
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hohnstein View Post
I think the 450 ft.lb. dogma for the inner castle nut is too much. Torque tables are variable for many obscure reasons, however I'm comfortable with 350 on the inners and 450 for the outers.
All I've heard for many years was 450 ft/lb for our wheels. But as you mention Mike when I look up torque specs for bolt diameters the only ones that come close to 450 are Standard 12K, 170,674 psi, Med. Carbon Steel bolts. If some one is selling a bolt that does not have that high rating then the bolts are being over torqued.

http://engineershandbook.com/Tables/torque1.htm

BUT, there are several other factors that could have happened as well.
  1. Cheap quality bolt used in place of standard bolt
  2. torque on bolts was not performed "dry"
  3. Bolts were actually over toqued

I've never had a stud on my bus break, but I've always check the torque on them myself too. I have had studs break on single body delivery trucks I drove as a kid but who knows how they were cared for?

Sure does warrant some more research on our torque specs and the quality of the replacement parts we put on our buses!

BTW, My Brother (heavy haul) was involved in an accident where a load was dropped. After the investigation it was discovered the chains used where not rated as high as they were stamped. The chains were cheap copies from China stamped with higher ratings than they were designed for. I'd hate to see that happen on wheel studs too.
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 04-04-2018
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Truck wheel studs are a special animal, unlike any other.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com