Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Catastrophes, Fires, Flood, Accidents, etc...

Catastrophes, Fires, Flood, Accidents, etc... Post those photos, videos and articles about the above topics right here of both 'Birds and other RV's to share and compare with the group.

Site Search:

Old 08-09-2018
Forum owner

I dry camp most of the time.
all of my coachs since 1999 have had house fridges,so i'm working on 18 years of house fridges.
it may not be for everyone,but they sure suit me.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-09-2018
Black Sheep Division

Talking

We have beaten this horse to death and buried it several times but if we want to dig it up and drag the carcass around the yard again, I'm game.

There is a larger issue here than what kind of refrigerator to use, but I will get to that shortly.

I personally prefer dual fuel refrigerators because of how I camp. Lots of dry camping in places where I can't, am not allowed to, or don't want to run the generator. I can go into detail but it is irrelevant here. BadAndy's PT may be able to dry camp for a week in the shade without running the generator but I don't have the time or the inclination, and I'm not willing to spend the money to have a setup like his. Therefore, the most cost effective way to have a cold iced tea is using a propane powered refrigerator.

Next, I believe gas refrigerators are safe if properly installed and maintained. I have removed and replaced/repaired four fridges from my own coaches (two of which were Wanderlodges) and seen a number more removed/repaired. NOT ONE WAS INSTALLED ACCORDING TO THE MANUFACTURERS SPECS, INCLUDING THE TWO WLs. Most were poorly maintained, if maintained at all. I think there would be a lot less fires if they were properly installed and maintained. Anecdotally, I notice I don't hear of many Amish houses burning down from failed refrigerators.

Now to the larger issue.......

A lot of people, including myself unfortunately, (I'm trying to get better!) make judgements on what other people should have based on what they like/buy/works for them/etc. I have discovered after seven decades that everybody is not like me!!!!!!!! WOW!

That means they are not necessarily like buy/like/use the same things I do.

Since I took exception to Mike's post, I will use Mike to illustrate my point.

Mike has an '83 FC.

Remember, this is just an illustration! I like Mike AND FCs!

Suppose, in a thread about what kind of RV to buy, I posted there is no reason to have or drive a 35 year old monstrosity, belching carbon in the air, ruining the environment, and killing people. There are newer RVs that are safer!. They have anti-lock brakes. Lap AND shoulder belts. Air bags. They get better fuel mileage. They are not so heavy so they don't tear up our roads. They have computer controlled engines and transmissions and DEF to protect the environment. Young mechanics can work on them! You are helping the economy when you buy one.

There is no reason for anyone to have or drive one of those environmentally and physically dangerous junk heaps.

What do you think about that?

And that is the reason I have a gas fridge. It works for me.

TOM

Last edited by oldmansax; 08-09-2018 at 05:09 PM. Reason: sp
Old 08-09-2018
RV Appraiser

Tom, I'm with you 100%, Fran & I dry camp as much as we can. For several years we went to Canada just to get away from the cell phone, dry camping 5 miles or so off the highway and another 15 miles from town. We want peace & quit sometimes. I too run off the propane, I have my unit checked annually by one of the most knowledgeable individuals on propane, Leon in Shipshewana at the National RV Appliance Repair shop. If you want to stay tethered to a generator or shore power 24 hours a day, that's one's choice, I prefer not too. Slowly I getting my solar ready to reduce the generator running as much as possible, every 3 - 4 days is better than every day. One year we were at Q and someone ran their generator from 7AM - 10PM just so they could have AC. Last year again someone ran their generator just as long for the same reason. If AC & their home style refrigerator is so important they should have stayed at home. I like getting away from folk, kids, the hooping and hollering and get so far away, and when I do, I **** sure don't want to hear my generator running away. Just my 2 cents.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 08-09-2018

You guys must have noisy obnoxious gen sets, bought a new Onan when changing over to house unit. Run it 4 hrs a day to keep the batt bank up enough for 24hr reefer, roof panels help too. Had a lot of RVs over the years, never had a scary moment with propane, I like it, inject it into my smokey Cat and run my heaters with it. Major advantage regarding the house unit, and I've owned many RV's mind you, is the usable interior space. If there's a RV unit that has the same interior space vs. exterior footprint, I don't know about it.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 08-09-2018
Black Sheep Division

Mike, the point is, it works for you; and others as well. It doesn't work for me or John, and probably others. That is why I disagreed with the original statement.

You spent your money on a new generator and solar and an inverter and maybe new (more, bigger) batteries. I am putting a new head on my old Perkins, don't have solar (I like shady spots), don't have an inverter. I'm not sure how loud my generator will be but when camping on another's property, and they say "no generator", I honor their rules even if my genny was completely silent.

I spend my money on things that are important to me, and new generators, solar panels, and bunches of batteries are not on that list. I will probably install an inverter eventually.

Everyone probably wants to hear what works for others; but if anyone makes a blanket statement about options, someone is probably going to disagree.

FYI, my wife says I can be very disagreeable!

TOM
Old 08-09-2018

https://www.build.com/frigidaire-fft...39?uid=2605104
https://www.yamahagenerators.com/EF1...p/ef1000is.htm

Just sayin'.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

Old 08-10-2018
Black Sheep Division

That looks like an excellent solution to the dangerous gas refrigerators; carry a gasoline generator and gasoline around.

I think we are just going to disagree on this subject.

We have now dragged the carcass around until there is little left. LOL!

TOM

Last edited by oldmansax; 08-10-2018 at 07:47 AM. Reason: sp
Old 08-10-2018

A $50 inverter and two GC2 deep cycles will run a 10 cubic foot $400 24" wide fridge (Haier, at Lowes) for 9 hours without cycling off. If it is full of stuff and it's cool that will likely run it for 24-48 hours if you aren't opening the door all the time. One 200w solar panel ($185) will keep those two batteries charged up, but that won't help in the shade.
Old 08-10-2018

Tom is confusing the interior space issue I'm touting, with a propane discussion. Must be an old guy. Point is you can carry more STUFF in a house reefer. If you choose to burn, works for me.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

Old 08-10-2018
Administrator

I like Deka Batteries, and Toyos