Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Catastrophes, Fires, Flood, Accidents, etc...

Catastrophes, Fires, Flood, Accidents, etc... Post those photos, videos and articles about the above topics right here of both 'Birds and other RV's to share and compare with the group.

Site Search:

Old 10-05-2018

Default May be a total loss

Wednesday morning started out like any other with the wife and I going out for a morning walk with our awesome dog Lexi. After the walk, my wife showered and got ready for work while I made breakfast for me and the dog and made the wife a smoothie. Fast forward a few hours and I am down at the laundry doing a couple of loads while on the phone with the local Lincoln dealer addressing some issues with the wife's car. During that call I got a call from the rv resort. the call kept breaking up so I walked over to the office to see why they called. As soon as I walked in the lady at the desk said it looked like smoke was coming from one of my A/C units on the coach and they had already contacted the Fire Dept. I immediately ran all the way back to the coach and saw a few people standing around on the street. I ran straight to the door and snatched it open to be confronted with a wall of thick black/brown smoke. I tried to run in to find my dog and was grabbed by someone much smarter than me. I immediately began coughing and tried to run in again yelling for Lexi. About this time the fire department arrived and they brought me back to my senses by asking about power and LP. As a fireman went in to find Lexi I ran around the coach and killed the main switch to the LP tank and ran to the battery bay to disconnect the batteries. The shore power had already been disconnected. A moment later the fireman came out holding Lexi and they tried for over 20 minutes to breath life back into her. One fireman performed mouth to mouth and they all took turns doing chest compressions. Lexi was one of the sweetest dogs you could have ever met. She never met a stranger and she firmly believed every human was put on earth to pet her. I do take a little comfort in knowing she left us in her sleep since she was found in her favorite spot at the head of our bed in a nest of pillows she rearranged every day.

The fire - Luckily, I have a Wanderlodge and when it was closed up it is sealed nice and tight or the fire would have been much much worse. According to the inspector, the fire started from a Ninja blender on the counter that must have shorted out and caught fire. The fire burned up from there hot enough to shatter the glass back splash, melt all the electrical switches, outlets, and lights under the overhead kitchen cabinets. The Formica covering the cabinets was burned off the face of the cabinet doors and the fire quickly spread to the ceiling where the most damage was done since the ceiling panels are vinyl covered foam. The fire burned so hot the plastic doors to the round headbanger (clear acrylic champagne/On the Rocks glass cabinet) attached to the other side of the coach melted. the fire was largely contained to the kitchen and burned extremely hot and extremely fast. It was guessed that it consumed all the oxygen fairly quick since it went out on its own. Luckily, it had been out long enough not to restart when I opened the door. This all happened in the span of about 20 to 30 minutes from the time I left the coach until I got the call from the office.

Since this has been our primary residence for the last couple of months while we've been waiting on our house in Valdosta, GA to sell so we can officially move to Jacksonville, FL the State Fire Marshall had to come out and do another inspection. He came to the same conclusion as the local fire inspector.

I do have an Agreed Value policy with Safeco and they will send an adjuster out soon, It seems many of them are still tied up in the Carolinas. I am afraid they may consider this a total loss which will be a shame since the interior can be rebuilt. I am not one to toot my own horn but I have the ability and the tools to completely gut, clean, rebuild and reassemble the interior back to her original glamour (with a few updates of course). With the layer off soot on every square inch of interior space it would be a daunting task.

Some of the firemen were in awe of the condition of this coach. From the outside one would never know there was a raging fire inside this coach. One of the firemen inspected the roof since he was sure there had to be damage. the only thing he found was the plastic cover on the Kool-O-Matic fan had been warped due to the heat escaping around the closed vent. This was the same area where the resort employee saw some smoke escaping.

I will post some pics soon.

David & Nicole Stokes
Valdosta, Georgia
'98 LXi 43'
'97 Jeep Wrangler
229-834-8677

Independent Consultant
The Pampered Chef
http://www.pamperedchef.biz/davidstokes
Old 10-05-2018

Very sorry about Lexi, the name of my former dog who was just as sweet. Wishing you and your wife all the best.
chip@collectorsco.com / 804-357-4926
1990 SP36 75k
1992 WB40 109k
Old 10-05-2018

This is so sad, I am at a loss for words. I am sorry for the loss of your dear friend Lexi. David, my thoughts and prayers are with you folks.

1994 WB40 and a slow '73 Nova SS
Palomino Valley, NV

Where we are...

Once more I have to ask "What did humans ever do to deserve dogs?"

Map of Service Centers
Old 10-05-2018

Sorry for your loss.

217-720-3608
dthollis@sbcglobal.net

1994 BMC37
1991 SP36(sold)
1984 FC35(totaled)
1978 FC33(sold)
Old 10-05-2018

So sorry for your loss . Loss of our coach would be bad , but the loss of Sam would be devastating.
318-553-4186
1994 BMC 37' "For the Birds"
2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
1986 F150
KE5WCW
Old 10-05-2018

So very sorry for the loss of Lexi and the damage to your bird. Our thoughts are with you and Nicole.
(678) 438-3184
georgiacorvette@outlook.com
Map of Service Centers
Map of RV Parks
Old 10-05-2018
97 WLWB 43' Series 60

Dave,

I am so sorry for your loss, you are in our thoughts and prayers.
EMail: cesalie2@yahoo.com

Wannabe Wanderer
"Not All Who Wander Are Lost"
Old 10-05-2018

Sorry for your loss. It was a beautiful coach.

Lynn Haven, Florida
1999 LXi 43 dual slide
Honda CR-V toad

850 814 9022
Old 10-05-2018
BIG MAMA

Tears for you reading about your precious fur baby! The coach is just a thing .....
2001 LXI single slide

04 M 380.......with goat rails SOLD
Old 10-05-2018

Sorry to hear about that David, the coach loss is bad enough, but to loose your dog is tragic. We hope the best for you and your wife.

Andy & Jean Harmon
Dakota (our Aussie traveling buddy)
Beverly Hills, FL
1996 WB42