Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Catastrophes, Fires, Flood, Accidents, etc...

Catastrophes, Fires, Flood, Accidents, etc... Post those photos, videos and articles about the above topics right here of both 'Birds and other RV's to share and compare with the group.

Site Search:

Old 08-22-2010

Default RV frontal impact..."where is the beef"?

Saw this on RVNet...as reported the RV struck the back end of the tractor trailer on a rain slicked interstate. A tragic accident...I hope all came through this OK.

Quote from the paper: Adam Bowers of Park Hills was driving to Fayette at the time of the crash. He said he watched in his rearview mirror as a motor home traveling behind the tractor-trailer crashed into the trailer.

“It was raining so hard you couldn’t see anything. All of a sudden, all the vehicles in front of us were stopped. He was going way too fast to stop,” Bowers said of the tractor-trailer. “The 18-wheeler jack-knifed, and his trailer smashed into other cars. Then the motor home slammed into the trailer, and it looked like the motor home just exploded.”

I do admire the nice cabinetry and electronics...but above the frame line as the nice lady used to say on the fast food commercial..."where is the beef? The A pillars and entire windshield/front structure seems to be less than substantial.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	082010_029a_pe_I70_multi_car_crash_t938.jpg
Views:	11536
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	6279  

Coach photos & comments: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...php?albumid=79
Old 08-22-2010
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.wernlein View Post
....The A pillars and entire windshield/front structure seems to be less than substantial.
That could qualify for the understatement of the of the year.

Sure hope I'm never going too fast to stop. That said, our 3208 225T has its advantages.

NH Bill
St. Petersburg, Florida
Wanderlodge Social: https://mewe.com/profile/5bfc750ae760be22b1797898
Old 08-22-2010
Forum owner

I had pics of the 450 that was in the accident that killed the driver a few years ago.
It was reported to be doing 75-80MPH when it ran off the road and mowed down around 100 pine trees from 6'' in diameter and smaller.
The pics were after the EMS crews and the wrecker crews had done their work.
Who knows what damage was done during that work,BUT,the coach didnt look as bad as the one in the link.

The pics i had burned in the fire of my 95WB.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-06-2010

Few trees vs back of semi I'd pick the trees. Ask a pilot.
That 450 (a write-off) had ~1400 lbs more steel forward of the front axle then the modified ones that are out there now. Only the plastic cap remains. No "bumber".(In moving the genset to a side bay, BB also removed as much steel as possible to take loading off the front axle.No concern about crash worthiness- just lighten it and attach the front cap.- A few got a manual slide out drawer with a 50 lb load limit )
Both 450's that had tire failures lost control and now the anti-sway/stabilizing system has also been removed. (active air).
Not strong like the old Blue Birds.

Last edited by dentmac; 11-06-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-06-2010

I wonder if the air bags deployed? or does it mater
82 FC 33 250 left me for another
Sumner Wa.
Old 11-06-2010

“It was raining so hard you couldn’t see anything. All of a sudden, all the vehicles in front of us were stopped. He was going way too fast to stop,” Bowers said of the tractor-trailer. “The 18-wheeler jack-knifed, and his trailer smashed into other cars. Then the motor home slammed into the trailer, and it looked like the motor home just exploded.”

I sometimes wonder why................
Motorhomes go like Andretti trying to be the first.
When I am on the Interstate doing 60, the fly by me like like I am standing still.
Why would a motor home go still superfast in a rainstorm when visibility is almost zilch. I have landed big jets in almost zero visibility, but you have guiding lights and no (you hope) traffic in the way. In a coach on the road, if I can't see, I wait till I can.
Old 11-06-2010
Itchintogo

I have seen some truck drivers that make me shake my head in the last 10 or 15 years. The rigs have become so comfortable and powerful that for some people they are too insulated from reality. Clearly, over driving ones abilities and climate is an accident waiting to happen. There are very, very few unpreventable accidents. I have sat on review committees for these things.

As far as coaches go I think some people forget they have 35 to 45 thousand pounds of momentum and steel covering many feet per second...I have said it before...these coaches are not MGB's and should not be driven like one. This is a prime example of that.

I have to go over both the Cascades and the Rockies tomorrow to attend a funeral in Alberta and I hope I don't have to deal with a blizzard let alone one of these individuals.

Last edited by Itchintogo; 11-07-2010 at 01:56 AM.
Old 11-06-2010

[QUOTE=Itchintogo;79815]. The rigs have become so comfortable and powerful that for some people they are too insulated from reality.

Well said Gary!
Old 11-06-2010

"Clearly, over driving ones abilities and climate is an accident waiting to happen." That quote should be required on the driver's visor in ALL motorized vehicles!

95 WLWB 40' SOLD!

"RARA AVIS"

Morristown, Tennessee

FMCA #F27720
Old 11-06-2010

Default Only two causes of accidents.

In 53 years of driving, including 8 years as a bus driver and 12 years as a Police officer I have concluded there are only TWO (2) causes of accidents.
1.) Catastrophic failure of some vehicle component. 2.) STUPID! I don't care if it is driving on too old of tires, D.U.I., driving too fast for present road conditions or vehicle condition. When you boil it down to the lowest common denominator, the basic cause is "Somebody did something STUPID".

THE SHORT BUS
(She's Just a Little Slow)