Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Catastrophes, Fires, Flood, Accidents, etc...

Catastrophes, Fires, Flood, Accidents, etc... Post those photos, videos and articles about the above topics right here of both 'Birds and other RV's to share and compare with the group.

Site Search:

Old 11-05-2009
Forum owner

Default FIRE!!!!!Cheech and Chong, (Randy's 'Bird) up in smoke!

WOW!!
Today i was having lunch and the weather is perfect so we had the doors open on the house.
I was just reading my email and lunch was over when I smelled smoke,it smelled like electrical wiring.
I'm wondering what was that?
Then I hear a smoke alarm,I go running out and my 95WB is burning!!!!!!!!!!
Smoke is coming out around the generator door,the headlights and the generator radiator bay,I grabbed a garden hose and called 911.

I'm shooting water up in the compartments,behind the generator radiator,and the whole time i'm talking to 911.
John Finn runs? up and about that time the fire department gets here,they take over the hose and I open the engine bays and I get the fire department guys to cut the battery cables,after cutting the cables the fire started to go out.
John was still cooling everything in the gennie radiator bay,and the firemen and fire women were just standing around and watching us work.

The coach was parked 4' from our house.
If we had been out in the shop still working the coach and the house could have gone up in smoke.

As it is,most of the wiring around the batteries and in the radiator area is burned,the floor in the drivers area is burned,carpet and plywood,theres smoke damage through out the coach.

I suspect its a total loss.

We had 2 firetrucks,2 cops,an ambulance and a helicopter here for the big event...

Good thing is,nobody got hurt,and the house didnt burn.

Bad thing is,NADA says its worth $89K.
And we paid more than that.
We don't owe a dime on it..

The fire started in the generator radiator compartment,we had just returned from a 4 week trip in the coach with no problems at all.
I will spend some time looking in that area as soon as my heart returns to normal..

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-05-2009
Grand Curmudgeon

WOW, Randy. Sure am glad Carol and you got out and the house wasn't damaged. Thankfully this also didn't happen while you were on the road.

If anyone is up to the hassle of this new turn of events, it is you.

Paul LaZar
St. Augustine, FL
Former owner of Ziggy
97 wb43
Old 11-05-2009
WanderBee

Oh ****!!! That's bad news. But, at least the house wasn't involved and no one was hurt. I am so sorry to hear that. Hope it all works out for you and Carol.
Marietta, GA
Old 11-05-2009

Now, I'm scared. Mine's at home, plugged in, and I'm working in Baltimore. Terrible news Randy. Sorry to hear about it after such a great time at RATS/Maxton. Given the way that prices have tanked, you may be able to "upgrade" for 89K. If you repair it, "Phoenix" would be an appropriate name for her.

“Of all losses, time is the most irrecuperable for it can never be redeemed”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 11-05-2009
Can't re-member

This just make me sick to hear it. Glad y'all are okay and lets just hope that the smoke is worse than the damage. Hopefully with your skills she'll run again soon......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
WOW!!
Today i was having lunch and the weather is perfect so we had the doors open on the house.
I was just reading my email and lunch was over when I smelled smoke,it smelled like electrical wiring.
I'm wondering what was that?
Then I hear a smoke alarm,I go running out and my 95WB is burning!!!!!!!!!!
Smoke is coming out around the generator door,the headlights and the generator radiator bay,I grabbed a garden hose and called 911.

I'm shooting water up in the compartments,behind the generator radiator,and the whole time i'm talking to 911.
John Finn runs? up and about that time the fire department gets here,they take over the hose and I open the engine bays and I get the fire department guys to cut the battery cables,after cutting the cables the fire started to go out.
John was still cooling everything in the gennie radiator bay,and the firemen and fire women were just standing around and watching us work.

The coach was parked 4' from our house.
If we had been out in the shop still working the coach and the house could have gone up in smoke.

As it is,most of the wiring around the batteries and in the radiator area is burned,the floor in the drivers area is burned,carpet and plywood,theres smoke damage through out the coach.

I suspect its a total loss.

We had 2 firetrucks,2 cops,an ambulance and a helicopter here for the big event...

Good thing is,nobody got hurt,and the house didnt burn.

Bad thing is,NADA says its worth $89K.
And we paid more than that.
We don't owe a dime on it..

The fire started in the generator radiator compartment,we had just returned from a 4 week trip in the coach with no problems at all.
I will spend some time looking in that area as soon as my heart returns to normal..

John Stiles
1980 33FC
"My Navion". SOLD
Stockbridge, GA
Old 11-05-2009

Randy

Sue and I are so sorry about your coach getting burned. We are very happy that you and Carol and the house were not affected. Things can be replaced but not people.

Of all places for it to happen, its a blessing you weren't stranded on the road some where alone. We know this from our fire in our GMC years ago in Kansas, you're safe and that's all that matters.
2003 H3-45 S2
TGO Titusville, Florida
dukeflyer2507@att.net
248-935-5390
Old 11-05-2009
Administrator

This is really scary and spooky, after a long run and living in the coach for the last few weeks. Sounds like maybe a positive battery cable had a rub and finally touched ground maybe started a cable / battery fire.
Just a guess of course.
Call me if I can help, I would even sleep in the fried coach or in Finn's Inn, ( that is really a scary thought ).
But just ask, anything for Carol, Randy and the dogs.
Old 11-05-2009
Forum Moderator

It is forensic time. Randy's original post and future info will allow this membership to figure out what the most likely cause was. There are no stupid suggestions, questions or comments. Everyone is encouraged to express their thoughts regarding this incident so please speak up.
Old 11-05-2009

Wow, sorry to here of your loss. Very glad everyone is OK.

I am extremely curious if you can locate the problem that started the fire as I also leave my rig plugged in 24/7.

Good luck to you Randy!!
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 11-05-2009

Randy,

Terrible feeling--glad you and Carol are OK. Rick Desemone had a Pace Arrow burn a few years ago took out his garage, two antique cars & scorched the side of his house.
I know he & Jo will be upset to here of your misfortune.
Cat 3208ATAAC-300
12.5kw Kohler/Yanmar (w/slide)
"Magic carpet made of steel"
Steve Goodman 1970

"You never fail until you stop trying".