Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Catastrophes, Fires, Flood, Accidents, etc...

Catastrophes, Fires, Flood, Accidents, etc... Post those photos, videos and articles about the above topics right here of both 'Birds and other RV's to share and compare with the group.

Site Search:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-05-2009
Randy Dupree's Avatar
Randy Dupree Randy Dupree is offline
Forum owner
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Archer,Fl
Posts: 32,714
Default FIRE!!!!!Cheech and Chong, (Randy's 'Bird) up in smoke!

WOW!!
Today i was having lunch and the weather is perfect so we had the doors open on the house.
I was just reading my email and lunch was over when I smelled smoke,it smelled like electrical wiring.
I'm wondering what was that?
Then I hear a smoke alarm,I go running out and my 95WB is burning!!!!!!!!!!
Smoke is coming out around the generator door,the headlights and the generator radiator bay,I grabbed a garden hose and called 911.

I'm shooting water up in the compartments,behind the generator radiator,and the whole time i'm talking to 911.
John Finn runs? up and about that time the fire department gets here,they take over the hose and I open the engine bays and I get the fire department guys to cut the battery cables,after cutting the cables the fire started to go out.
John was still cooling everything in the gennie radiator bay,and the firemen and fire women were just standing around and watching us work.

The coach was parked 4' from our house.
If we had been out in the shop still working the coach and the house could have gone up in smoke.

As it is,most of the wiring around the batteries and in the radiator area is burned,the floor in the drivers area is burned,carpet and plywood,theres smoke damage through out the coach.

I suspect its a total loss.

We had 2 firetrucks,2 cops,an ambulance and a helicopter here for the big event...

Good thing is,nobody got hurt,and the house didnt burn.

Bad thing is,NADA says its worth $89K.
And we paid more than that.
We don't owe a dime on it..

The fire started in the generator radiator compartment,we had just returned from a 4 week trip in the coach with no problems at all.
I will spend some time looking in that area as soon as my heart returns to normal..
__________________
DO NOT SEND PM
email me at randy@randydupree.com only.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-05-2009
Paul Paul is offline
Grand Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Augustine
Posts: 446
Default

WOW, Randy. Sure am glad Carol and you got out and the house wasn't damaged. Thankfully this also didn't happen while you were on the road.

If anyone is up to the hassle of this new turn of events, it is you.
__________________
This opinion or advice is worth what you paid for it

Paul LaZar
St. Augustine, FL
Former owner of Ziggy
97 wb43
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-05-2009
Joatha Joatha is offline
WanderBee
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Marietta
Posts: 1,613
Default

Oh ****!!! That's bad news. But, at least the house wasn't involved and no one was hurt. I am so sorry to hear that. Hope it all works out for you and Carol.
__________________
Jonathan Leifheit
2001 Bluebird Wanderlodge LX ME
WanderBee
Marietta, GA
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-05-2009
sfedeli's Avatar
sfedeli sfedeli is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hershey
Posts: 3,087
Default

Now, I'm scared. Mine's at home, plugged in, and I'm working in Baltimore. Terrible news Randy. Sorry to hear about it after such a great time at RATS/Maxton. Given the way that prices have tanked, you may be able to "upgrade" for 89K. If you repair it, "Phoenix" would be an appropriate name for her.
__________________
Shane Fedeli
85PT40
Hershey, PA

“Of all losses, time is the most irrecuperable for it can never be redeemed”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-05-2009
mynavion mynavion is offline
Can't re-member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Stockbridge
Posts: 2,402
Default

This just make me sick to hear it. Glad y'all are okay and lets just hope that the smoke is worse than the damage. Hopefully with your skills she'll run again soon......





Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
WOW!!
Today i was having lunch and the weather is perfect so we had the doors open on the house.
I was just reading my email and lunch was over when I smelled smoke,it smelled like electrical wiring.
I'm wondering what was that?
Then I hear a smoke alarm,I go running out and my 95WB is burning!!!!!!!!!!
Smoke is coming out around the generator door,the headlights and the generator radiator bay,I grabbed a garden hose and called 911.

I'm shooting water up in the compartments,behind the generator radiator,and the whole time i'm talking to 911.
John Finn runs? up and about that time the fire department gets here,they take over the hose and I open the engine bays and I get the fire department guys to cut the battery cables,after cutting the cables the fire started to go out.
John was still cooling everything in the gennie radiator bay,and the firemen and fire women were just standing around and watching us work.

The coach was parked 4' from our house.
If we had been out in the shop still working the coach and the house could have gone up in smoke.

As it is,most of the wiring around the batteries and in the radiator area is burned,the floor in the drivers area is burned,carpet and plywood,theres smoke damage through out the coach.

I suspect its a total loss.

We had 2 firetrucks,2 cops,an ambulance and a helicopter here for the big event...

Good thing is,nobody got hurt,and the house didnt burn.

Bad thing is,NADA says its worth $89K.
And we paid more than that.
We don't owe a dime on it..

The fire started in the generator radiator compartment,we had just returned from a 4 week trip in the coach with no problems at all.
I will spend some time looking in that area as soon as my heart returns to normal..
__________________

John Stiles
1980 33FC
"My Navion". SOLD
Stockbridge, GA
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-05-2009
Hisham Amaral Hisham Amaral is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: LAs Vegas
Posts: 564
Default

Randy

Sue and I are so sorry about your coach getting burned. We are very happy that you and Carol and the house were not affected. Things can be replaced but not people.

Of all places for it to happen, its a blessing you weren't stranded on the road some where alone. We know this from our fire in our GMC years ago in Kansas, you're safe and that's all that matters.
__________________
Hisham and Sue Amaral
2006 M450 LXI (SOLD)
2004 Prevost XL2S 5 (Sold)
2003 H3-45 S2
TGO Titusville, Florida
dukeflyer2507@att.net
248-935-5390
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-05-2009
Bill Pape's Avatar
Bill Pape Bill Pape is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Commerce
Posts: 10,831
Default

This is really scary and spooky, after a long run and living in the coach for the last few weeks. Sounds like maybe a positive battery cable had a rub and finally touched ground maybe started a cable / battery fire.
Just a guess of course.
Call me if I can help, I would even sleep in the fried coach or in Finn's Inn, ( that is really a scary thought ).
But just ask, anything for Carol, Randy and the dogs.
__________________
Bill & Patty
1988 FC, Silver Edition
Commerce, Michigan
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-05-2009
Rob Robinson's Avatar
Rob Robinson Rob Robinson is offline
Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Victoria
Posts: 4,378
Default

It is forensic time. Randy's original post and future info will allow this membership to figure out what the most likely cause was. There are no stupid suggestions, questions or comments. Everyone is encouraged to express their thoughts regarding this incident so please speak up.
__________________
Rob Robinson
Victoria, British Columbia
1999 LXi
Moderator
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-05-2009
bwinter1946's Avatar
bwinter1946 bwinter1946 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Madera
Posts: 3,902
Default

Wow, sorry to here of your loss. Very glad everyone is OK.

I am extremely curious if you can locate the problem that started the fire as I also leave my rig plugged in 24/7.

Good luck to you Randy!!
__________________
Brad Winter
Madera, California
1997, 37' BMC
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-05-2009
racin41bb's Avatar
racin41bb racin41bb is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Roanoke
Posts: 710
Default

Randy,

Terrible feeling--glad you and Carol are OK. Rick Desemone had a Pace Arrow burn a few years ago took out his garage, two antique cars & scorched the side of his house.
I know he & Jo will be upset to here of your misfortune.
__________________
Bill & Rita Brinner in Roanoke, VA
"IRON HOUSE"
1987 FC-35SB ('87 factory demo)
Cat 3208ATAAC-300
12.5kw Kohler/Yanmar (w/slide)
"Magic carpet made of steel"
Steve Goodman 1970

"You never fail until you stop trying".
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Don't release the smoke, but if you do there is help iamflagman Electrical 2 04-21-2010 12:47 PM
'95 WANDERLODGE PARTS FOR SALE (FIRE!!!!!Cheech and Chong,up in smoke!) Randy Dupree Parts and Other Items For Sale 45 04-07-2010 06:51 PM
blue smoke gcyeaw Engine 23 12-25-2008 12:55 PM
smoke detector Wandering Electrical 0 10-01-2008 02:31 AM

Web Search:

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.