Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 07-07-2018
Dave Stokes Dave Stokes is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 1,082
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Thanks Dave for keeping us in the loop.
FYI,yours is not the only lifting axle thats needed to be welded.
We had a guy at the Shippy rally that had his fixed on the way to Shippy.

Did he know what caused the issue?


Quote:
Originally Posted by al perna View Post
If it makes you fell better Dave mine broke a bolt holding it to the frame a little while back . Only thing holding it on were the shocks and the other 1" bolt . if not for my dear friend and brother to all WOG member I may still be on I75 , lol Seriously Ed W removed a 1" bolt from his donner coach and drove out to not only provide the bolt but also insist on doing the work to get it to hos house ! Hows is that for a brother , then again maybe he was just standing by his product

Now that's service right there!!
__________________

David & Nicole Stokes
Valdosta, Georgia
'98 LXi 43'
'97 Jeep Wrangler
229-834-8677

Independent Consultant
The Pampered Chef
http://www.pamperedchef.biz/davidstokes
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-07-2018
ArlinV ArlinV is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Simpsonville
Posts: 147
Default

As a relative newbie Wanderlodge owner, I have found this thread very interesting.

Now, can someone please define the characteristics of each of the three named tag types, and tell me how I know which I have? Before buying my coach I had a conversation with Randy about another I was considering. After sending him pictures he declared that it was not a steerable (as claimed by the owner). But I’m still confused.

I know that I can dump the air in my tag to reduce scrubbing when turning. But that doesn’t seem to be liftable. So does that mean mine is fixed?

Still so much to learn....
__________________
Arlin Verley
Simpsonville, South Carolina
2003 43’ LXi double slide
VerleyBird
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-07-2018
Dave Stokes Dave Stokes is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 1,082
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlinV View Post
...

I know that I can dump the air in my tag to reduce scrubbing when turning. But that doesn’t seem to be liftable. So does that mean mine is fixed?

Still so much to learn....

I am sure someone will be along to explain your tag more clearly as I am not familiar with your model. A liftable tag is as it sounds, My tag will lift a few inches off the ground when enabled. This allows for better maneuvering and reversing. A steerable tag, when working correctly, will actually turn when making slow turns and should lock back into a fixed straight position when speeds exceed, I think, 15MPH. You can recognize a steerable tag by the wheel hub. It looks just like a steer wheel. Rounded side out.
__________________

David & Nicole Stokes
Valdosta, Georgia
'98 LXi 43'
'97 Jeep Wrangler
229-834-8677

Independent Consultant
The Pampered Chef
http://www.pamperedchef.biz/davidstokes
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-07-2018
Rick's Avatar
Rick Rick is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bellefonte
Posts: 13,129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlinV View Post
As a relative newbie Wanderlodge owner, I have found this thread very interesting.

Now, can someone please define the characteristics of each of the three named tag types, and tell me how I know which I have? Before buying my coach I had a conversation with Randy about another I was considering. After sending him pictures he declared that it was not a steerable (as claimed by the owner). But I’m still confused.

I know that I can dump the air in my tag to reduce scrubbing when turning. But that doesn’t seem to be liftable. So does that mean mine is fixed?

Still so much to learn....
Yours may have never been broken. If you have a regular tag there are no big issues. If its a liftable you could have mount issues and if its the steerable you could have wobble issues.

Got a smart phone? Take a couple a picture of the tag axle bags and mounts and post them. We can tell you whats under your Wanderlodge.
__________________
Rick Shawver
1SG Ret
2000 LX
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-24-2019
Gatorgrl's Avatar
Gatorgrl Gatorgrl is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Fort Myers
Posts: 2,173
Default

I saw on the Youtube yesterday that Maybe Tomorrow w/ Button and Loops is having a similar issue with their liftable tag axle. Having trouble sourcing a replacement liftable axle with an 8" drop. They are currently stuck in Largo, FL.

How did this issue resolve itself for you?
__________________
Dana (The Wanderer, Builder, Restorer)
Tony (The Frustrated Mechanic)

Fort Myers, Florida

1983 FC35 3208T "Gen X Express"
1991 Toyota 4Runner TOAD or
1980 Camaro TOAD

danahcks@aol.com
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
ChrisRasman ChrisRasman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Fort Myers
Posts: 303
Default New tag from Ottawa

I am sure this is old news. She beat the bushes till she found axle company in Ottawa. They made her a new one that matched the broken one. I forget the details but is was supposedly improved. She had to wait months for them to get a break in the production line to custom make it. I have since seen a second broken tag axle (somewhere on the WWW) that had that same company make the same axle and have it installed on that bus. She made a whole bunch of videos of all of this. How it was put on a low boy and taken to Tampa for a fix. She will be my second (Randy is my first since I have been scolded a few times for not asking the WOG first) go-to if I break mine lol. I do believe the WOG can do about anything with our buses. I have the new MeWe app and the WOG SOS app on it ready to scream for help.

I just had my 03 Lx taken to a big truck shop for a second opinion on the axles. I am told no cracks. Dealer told me the same, but I wanted to make sure. I do have a rust issue, but its not out of control. Dealer 'sealed' all the axle welds in front of me while I was there.

If I remember, in all the reading I have done, BB got on top of this by 01. I like to know if that is true? Did all the old tags on the Lx and Lxi s get the straps? I'll be sure to look at mine if that is true. Would be neat if I could convert my regular tag to a steerable. Probably cost half as much as the bus.
__________________
Christopher Rasmussen
USN Ret
Fort Myers, FLORIDA
2003 Wanderlodge 40LX
Body# F133835
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Randy Dupree's Avatar
Randy Dupree Randy Dupree is offline
Forum owner
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Archer,Fl
Posts: 35,162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRasman View Post
I am sure this is old news. She beat the bushes till she found axle company in Ottawa. They made her a new one that matched the broken one. I forget the details but is was supposedly improved. She had to wait months for them to get a break in the production line to custom make it. I have since seen a second broken tag axle (somewhere on the WWW) that had that same company make the same axle and have it installed on that bus. She made a whole bunch of videos of all of this. How it was put on a low boy and taken to Tampa for a fix. She will be my second (Randy is my first since I have been scolded a few times for not asking the WOG first) go-to if I break mine lol. I do believe the WOG can do about anything with our buses. I have the new MeWe app and the WOG SOS app on it ready to scream for help.

I just had my 03 Lx taken to a big truck shop for a second opinion on the axles. I am told no cracks. Dealer told me the same, but I wanted to make sure. I do have a rust issue, but its not out of control. Dealer 'sealed' all the axle welds in front of me while I was there.

If I remember, in all the reading I have done, BB got on top of this by 01. I like to know if that is true? Did all the old tags on the Lx and Lxi s get the straps? I'll be sure to look at mine if that is true. Would be neat if I could convert my regular tag to a steerable. Probably cost half as much as the bus.
I don't think the LX models ever had a problem.
I have never seen a fabricated axle like Kev has under an LX.
But,i have not seen every LX ever made,either,
I think its a good idea to check for cracks,on every model,but make sure the guy checking knows what a crack looks like.
__________________
DO NOT SEND PM
email me at randy@randydupree.com only.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
rwoody's Avatar
rwoody rwoody is offline
ANOTHER REDNECK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pleasanton
Posts: 5,588
Default

my lx had bird shot welds
Randy...I fired up the big ol ARCO welder i got from you years ago and rewelded them and added straps
__________________
RWoody
2003 LX Single Slide Hauling Wood 5
2 miles east from Texas Highway 37-97
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cracked rear axle hub? shaaksma General 56 10-29-2018 10:58 AM
cracked 8.25 Rim al perna Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions 6 11-14-2016 09:47 AM
Cracked Panard Brace and Cracked Frame TKuhlman FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) 36 10-27-2015 05:38 PM
How cracked is too much? KERLEY Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions 18 06-25-2010 01:24 PM
Replacing Drive Axle and Tag Axle Air Bags. Cost? JackandLiz Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions 25 04-20-2009 05:29 PM

Web Search:

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.