Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 11-26-2019

Unhappy M380 Dometic Issue

Okay here is a new issues I am hoping someone else has experienced. The Dometic Refrigerator is working fine when parked on shore power, on generator or propane, However whenever I am on the move when I stop after a couple of hours the temp has gone up to about 45 degrees. Once I stop and recycle the refrigerator off and on it goes back to working. It does not appear to lose power or go off in the 2 hours of travel but the temp creeps up while in motion.

I am stumped!!

Gump
Old 11-26-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump View Post
Okay here is a new issues I am hoping someone else has experienced. The Dometic Refrigerator is working fine when parked on shore power, on generator or propane, However whenever I am on the move when I stop after a couple of hours the temp has gone up to about 45 degrees. Once I stop and recycle the refrigerator off and on it goes back to working. It does not appear to lose power or go off in the 2 hours of travel but the temp creeps up while in motion.

I am stumped!!

Gump
My guess is that the wind turbulence is moving the flame just far enough off of the thermocouple that it shuts itself off. Go into the outside panel, open it up and access the flame and thermocouple. Move the thermocouple forward
slightly more into the flame. Not a lot. Try that to see if it makes a difference. If not try moving it a little more a second time. I had to do that once and it worked for me.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 11-26-2019

Default M380 Dometic Issue

Well I thought of that, but I have the generator running and the fridge is on electric at that point not LP.

I suspect something with the controller maybe?

Gump
Old 11-26-2019
Forum owner

Most of those fridges don't work as well on electric.
That may be the problem.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-26-2019

Quote:
...The Dometic Refrigerator is working fine when parked on shore power, on generator or propane. However whenever I am on the move when I stop after a couple of hours the temp has gone up to about 45 degrees. Once I stop and recycle the refrigerator off and on it goes back to working. It does not appear to lose power or go off in the 2 hours of travel but the temp creeps up while in motion...
Questions: 1) Once you stop and find the temp has increased, IF you don’t “recycle the refrigerator” does it start working properly on it’s own? 2) Have you tried leaving it on LP when traveling and if so, does it work properly? and 3) Have you verified neither the lower outside door nor the upper roof cap are even partially blocked (birds, wasps, tree debris...)?

Doug improved his LP refer by adding a 12V fan setup (https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ad.php?t=32124 #3 & #4) and has posted it works great. Doing that might solve your problem. Since yours works fine when stationary, it’s logical to suspect impeded or possibly redirected airflow over the coils as the culprit.

Lots of threads about replacing it with a house fridge. Except for the defrost function, for past 4+ years have been happy with mine.
Old 11-26-2019

Open the door and at the top of the jamb are some switches. Make sure the light inside the refer is not turned on.

Amateur Radio - KG7V
Old 11-26-2019

Quote:

I am stumped!!

Gump
My theory on the 2-way absorption units is if the door seal is not 100% tight, air flows through the box via the evaporator fins drain tube due to the differential pressure between the inside and outside of the coach caused by vacuum created with the air flowing over the skin of the coach while travelling down the road at speed.
Old 11-27-2019
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmp View Post
My theory on the 2-way absorption units is if the door seal is not 100% tight, air flows through the box via the evaporator fins drain tube due to the differential pressure between the inside and outside of the coach caused by vacuum created with the air flowing over the skin of the coach while travelling down the road at speed.
Thanks Jerry, that is new info for me.
Old 11-27-2019
Geek

Unless it has been rewired or manually switched to gas the M380 refrigerator is always on electric - its outlet is wired to the inverter.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 11-27-2019

Smile M380 Dometic Issue

Don

It is all original. The generator is online the whole time we are driving, I think next move I am going to manually switch it to LP and see if it still warms up while moving.

It is an odd duck. It works on shore power, generator, inverter or LP just fine as long as you are sitting still.

Gump