Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Unhappy Rear Cap Seperating

After A reset wash job I noticed that the rear cap is wrinkled and pulling away from the side wall.
See photos, the third photo shows the normal right side

Should I
A) Put some "goop" in the crack and beat it back in to place with a rubber mallet
B) Drill out the rivets, apply "goop" and re-rivet

C) Something I haven't thought of
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190814_192604.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	63560   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190814_192550.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	63561   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190814_192345.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	63562  
Old 4 Weeks Ago

I would suspect a heat issue from the exhaust system muffler is causing the issue.

This exhaust muffler has caused many issues due to the system rusting out, failing insulation etc.

Get up there and check.
Body #F92929
brhodes51@yahoo.com
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Question

[QUOTE=brhodes;461053]I would suspect a heat issue from the exhaust system muffler is causing the issue.

This exhaust muffler has caused many issues due to the system rusting out, failing insulation etc.

Get up there and check.[/QUO
So what am I looking for?
Are you saying that the muffler is in the side wall and is probably rusted out?
How do you het it out to change it?
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Forum owner

it comes out the top.
the real way to check it is to replace it.
You have something going on,for the side to distort.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Do a site search for "Exhaust Fire" and read the posts concerning the issues with the muffler, pipes, insulation failing causing fires inside the rear bedroom cabinetry.
Read the following thread completely.
https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ead.php?t=1688
A must know issue.
Body #F92929
brhodes51@yahoo.com

Last edited by brhodes; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:26 AM.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlcanuck View Post
After A reset wash job I noticed that the rear cap is wrinkled and pulling away from the side wall.
See photos, the third photo shows the normal right side

Should I
A) Put some "goop" in the crack and beat it back in to place with a rubber mallet
B) Drill out the rivets, apply "goop" and re-rivet

C) Something I haven't thought of
Doug,

After looking closely at the entire side I have to ask. In the past, has the rear corner ever been drugged or hit something from the bottom?

I ask this because in looking at the louver door over the radiator, the painted strips seem to match but on the upper left side appears to be showing primer. Also looking at the metal side and the rivets there seams to be some bulging around the rivets. could also been caused by jacking up at a wrong point.

The fix I am not really sure of without looking in person, but for sure don't hit the fiberglass cap with a hammer. I would probably put some type of sealer in the cracks and call it done, anything major is going to cost big $$$ in paint work.
214-701-3419 cell. Eastern Time
Hilton Head Island SC
Hilton Head Island Motorcoach Resort
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Forum owner

Sean is our paint and body expert,thanks Sean.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 4 Weeks Ago

“This exhaust muffler has caused many issues due to the system rusting out, failing insulation etc...”

“So what am I looking for? Are you saying that the muffler is in the side wall and is probably rusted out?
How do you get it out to change it?”

When I was looking for my coach, I saw a couple BBs with poorly repaired spots on the outside opposite the exhaust chase and heat on the inside was the likely cause. There’s no doubt excessive heat inside an exhaust chase could cause cap separation, especially if your symptoms are only occurring on side of coach with the exhaust. Different BB models but five years ago I repaired a nearly catastrophic exhaust leak inside my muffler chase. Have enjoyed the safety and cooler temps of that fix ever since. Also after WW Williams failed miserably to fix his exhaust leak, I helped Kev do an in-the-field replacement of his WB muffler. It’s likely a two person job, but certainly doable. Definitely watch the video as it will show you how many BB exhaust chases are set up.

Find full description of my project at post #86 here: https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...t=18321&page=9.

This 2 min YouTube video is worth watching: https://youtu.be/em5apEFKfP0.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F6A5DDE1-E1B5-493E-8A4B-0CCCFE70C777.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	63577   Click image for larger version

Name:	D8E47A45-F312-48F3-A997-C34420DBEBE4.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	63578  

Last edited by NoGas; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:25 AM. Reason: Added links
Old 4 Weeks Ago

pump smoke into the exhaust pipe tip with a wet towel sealing it up and watch for leaks. I think brhodes has a good point to look at with the exhaust and like Randy posted,. if you need to pull it to look at it, just replace it, some owners use a straight pipe. I would think that that much distortion from heat , you would see it blistering the paint.

looks excessive but maybe the bus was built in January and the sheet metal was cold ?

The 450 transitions from fiberglass to steel body has some quality issues that caused me concern when looking to buy a 450, that said, the sheet metal on a 450 is as true as they come. When they perfected the panel placement any other distortion is accentuated. The wavy panels of my prior years bluebirds look muffed up when parked next to a 450. . My old 94pt rivet panel bus had waves but that was part of the glory of the industrial look. I may glue some rivets on the side of my 450 and airbrush in some waves , the 450 looks too perfect to be a bus.
If the smoke test shows no issues, I would just measure it and silicon it up.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregOC View Post
pump smoke into the exhaust pipe tip with a wet towel sealing it up and watch for leaks. I think brhodes has a good point to look at with the exhaust and like Randy posted,. if you need to pull it to look at it, just replace it, some owners use a straight pipe. I would think that that much distortion from heat , you would see it blistering the paint.

looks excessive but maybe the bus was built in January and the sheet metal was cold ?

The 450 transitions from fiberglass to steel body has some quality issues that caused me concern when looking to buy a 450, that said, the sheet metal on a 450 is as true as they come. When they perfected the panel placement any other distortion is accentuated. The wavy panels of my prior years bluebirds look muffed up when parked next to a 450. . My old 94pt rivet panel bus had waves but that was part of the glory of the industrial look. I may glue some rivets on the side of my 450 and airbrush in some waves , the 450 looks too perfect to be a bus.
If the smoke test shows no issues, I would just measure it and silicon it up.

Greg and Van, good comments.
With the type of heat needed to wrinkle this heavy gauge of Sheetmetal, it would seem that it would had of bubbled the paint for sure.

Possible body twisting on the one side. Just another guess.
214-701-3419 cell. Eastern Time
Hilton Head Island SC
Hilton Head Island Motorcoach Resort