Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > !!!ALERT!!! MUST DO MECHANICAL ITEMS FOR YOUR 'BIRD!!

!!!ALERT!!! MUST DO MECHANICAL ITEMS FOR YOUR 'BIRD!! Listed here you will find the MUST DO MECHANICAL ITEMS that we feel should be performed on your 'Bird. (ONLY ADMINISTRATORS CAN POST HERE)

Site Search:

Old 11-12-2014

PS - Jon's right. I had a handful of questions and issues while getting ready to leave. These guys were great! I can't thank them enough.
1989 SP36
apdefreit@hotmail.com (Alan)
fadefreitas@outlook.com (Frances)
Old 11-12-2014

I would try to get the filters changed. You have the Racor, and another, the main filter. Since you have no history, I would really try to get them changed asap. If almost full, cold will make the problem worse. My son just had the same thing on my C-15 CAT in a Pete. He called, and said it was in the red. I had him pick up a spare set of filters. He did not make it home. He had to change them on the side of the road, at night! He has experience, and easy to get at on the Pete. And, HE HAD THE FILTERS!

If they plug up in cold, and you run it out of fuel, it will be a bear cat on the side of the road.

Melvin and Charlene Pierce
Scranton, ND
"Smoke N Mirrors" Royale Conversion
1990 PT40WB
Old 11-23-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by adefreit View Post
Tina, I recommend you get a filter and carry it with you. When my son got married I took off alone (husband in France on business). Packed the bus with tools, etc... Took the filter 'just in case'. Ended up needing to change it on the way home coming through CT. in a truck stop! Thankful I had packed a small bucket to fit under it. Enjoy your trip to AR.
Frances
Yup, definitely carrying extras.

Bird is still at the mechanic.
did hear that the racor was filled up with "sludge" or at least a lot of junk in the bottom.

mechanic took it apart and cleaned it out of there.
that is why we couldn't' get it to drain on the side of the road the other night.

So not really sure it was the cold or just "sludge" not letting the fuel get to the engine.

When we get it back expecting our gauge to be normal!!

He also did an oil change and checked around to make sure things looked good to go.

We get the Bird back tomorrow....hopefully aren't totally sticker shocked on the cost but we needed him. He is also a mobile mechanic....so he came out to us and got us running so we could get it to his shop.

He is also the mechanic that leveled us out.
Charged us only an hour of shop time. So hopefully this cost is reasonable as well.

~T
Old 11-24-2014

Got our Bird back.
I'd say it's got a bit more pep. LOL.

Good to go.

Would recommend these guys if your in the IA area.

Nelson Fabrications
2080 Marshalltown Blvd
Marshalltown IA 50158
641-751-5636
Old 10-02-2016

Changed the Racor filter in Montana when we were close to home storage in the Orlando Fl area I noticed the filter was just touching the red area temp of the fuel not a problem. Any help will be appreciated? Thanks
Old 10-02-2016
Timberlake Products Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by wander43 View Post
Changed the Racor filter in Montana when we were close to home storage in the Orlando Fl area I noticed the filter was just touching the red area temp of the fuel not a problem. Any help will be appreciated? Thanks
The gauge indicates vacuum on the system. Sounds like it is time to change the filter again

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup
Old 10-02-2016

If you have the manual out of the "blue box" you may have pot in too fine a filter. The manual in ours calls for a 10 micron filter. Per John Wyatt that is correct for the final spin on filter, not the racor. It should be a 20 or 30 micron. When i put the 10 in, it was near the red in just a few hundred miles. The 20 has been going strong for quite a while.
Old 10-02-2016

I was under the impression they do not make a 20 micron racor. Do you mean a 30?

Brian Stephens
'97 PT43
Old 10-02-2016

Thanks for the info, bill I am new at this, I have a 42 1996 with a 6 cylinder Detroit if this is the same as your engine. I downloaded the Wanderlodge owners Manuel and it is for a V8 I have a 6 and I think it is a straight 6, so do I use the same filter that you use in your 96? I am hoping John is reading this also and look forward to his input. Just when you get things going well and get a little confidence something new happens , gotta go with the flow! That might be a great name for the coach.
Old 10-03-2016
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

If the gage is in the red, change the filter. Could be a bad filter or something clogged it up.

I would recommend you drain a little fuel from the sump in your fuel tank, so you will know if you have a serious fuel problem.

As far as the micron, there is a Racor 2, 10 and 30. I think the 30 is fine because your secondary is a 10 micron. However, Several members are running 2 micron without problems. I had one and I wanted to know what would happen if I installed it. I have a little over a 1,000 miles and the gage is still laying on the low side.

Robert, My phone number is in my post if I can help you, holler.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com