Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Travel Tips - Fuel Prices

Travel Tips - Fuel Prices Everyone has travel tips. Share and discuss yours here with the rest of the group.

Site Search:

Old 07-21-2016

Default Trip Planning app.

Has anyone gone with "RV Trip Wizard"? This app seams to take care of several issues we have had with other programs that only list Campgrounds that pay to be a part of them. $39.00 a year is really not bad of it does what it says.

http://www.rvtripwizard.com/how-the-wiz-works.html
porschenein59@gorge.net

"There comes a time in a mans life where he must take the bull by the tail,, and face the situation."
Old 07-21-2016

What other programs do you use?

We use rvparky, allstays, and rvparkreviews.com...

As well as maps!

/Joe

'93 WB40 'Alligator'
Sedona, AZ
Fun-Fun-Fun Till they take the BlueBird Away!
Old 07-21-2016

We pretty much travel with go-dat-way. She says "go dat way" and I do.
porschenein59@gorge.net

"There comes a time in a mans life where he must take the bull by the tail,, and face the situation."
Old 07-21-2016

My brother is getting ready for a road trip also. Is there a app that tells you things to do and see on your way. As you drive?
1986 PT40
1984 Ford GT Turbo Mustang
FMCA # F468571
Old 07-21-2016
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kybird View Post
My brother is getting ready for a road trip also. Is there a app that tells you things to do and see on your way. As you drive?

Wow.
I never considered having a computer tell me what to do on a vacation!

I just drive along on the back roads and i stop when i see a junkyard,a river,a pawn shop or just about anything.
The people i travel with never complain,so it must be OK?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-21-2016

I am more into finding a night stay and the best roads for a slow bus driven by a slow driver. We normally use WAZE but for finding campgrounds and cheap or free overnight parking it is not the best. It sounds like this app. would help. This app says it gives points of interest on the route you are following. It probably won't tell you if there is room for 65' of rig and trailer.
porschenein59@gorge.net

Old 07-21-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Wow.
I never considered having a computer tell me what to do on a vacation!

I just drive along on the back roads and i stop when i see a junkyard,a river,a pawn shop or just about anything.
The people i travel with never complain,so it must be OK?
You are OK ! That's me to a T! I just drive in the general direction of my final destination, making every effort to stay off interstates (I believe in Blue Highways). I bet we have only have stayed in campgrounds less than 10 nights...must be something wrong with me .

1994 WB40 and a slow '73 Nova SS
Palomino Valley, NV

Where we are...

Once more I have to ask "What did humans ever do to deserve dogs?"

Map of Service Centers
Old 07-22-2016

We don't plan trips on computer and never have. What bothers me is finding out AFTER we went past something we would have enjoyed seeing. I guess if you don't know you missed something , you never missed it. I also like to have alternatives when I am ready to wind down. We have stayed a few places only to find a much better place a mile down the road. That is why I asked the question if anyone has used this app or others for help.
Thanks JOE for the apps you suggested! We will check them out before we make a decision.
porschenein59@gorge.net

Old 04-02-2018

Wink This Free App Gets You There, But Finds No Treasure

While the trip I just completed was by four-wheeler, I primarily navigated by the use of the free application, maps.me and used a Rand McNally road atlas for strategic planning. Maps.me uses downloaded maps in an application on your smart phone using your phones gps for location.

I drove from Ft. Meyers, FL to the Chicago area in about 5 full days, 2200 miles. Most of which was by interstate in between 8 local areas in FL, GA, SC, and TN where I found specific locations in rural areas. It was kind of like a treasure hunt, though I was scoping out real estate, so I found no treasure. I had no hotel reservations and I was unfamiliar with the entire route. The rental had no compass nor did the app that I could find, so on overcast days and at night I felt a little lost even when I wasn’t.

The app provided rather unhelpful voice prompts for upcoming turns, so I quickly learned to pay attention to the miles to next turn info to zoom in the map to visually check for the next street name. I made maybe 2 wrong turns that necessitated a U to regain my way. The app provided nearby hotel, restaurant, and gas station info, too.

No real time traffic or road repair/detour info was provided, though I think we can all guess that travelling through any major metro area, we are bound to hit a jam at some time as I did through Orlando...ugh. Any GPS mavigator is only as useful as the mapping information it ovelays your position on. This app had good info. I travelled to some obscure locations and the app found them all with no wierd screw ups like driving me into a lake. That would have been a tough one to explain to the rental car company.

I would recommend maps.me as a back up to a preferred navigator or paid for service. This was not a pleasure trip so I really just needed to get from point A to B efficiently. Because the maps are downloaded off the net, I recommend starting a route in the app before departure while you are within range of free wifi so you can pull down the maps you need, which will take a minute or 2 at the most. I am too cheap to have an unlimited data plan or to buy a stand alone gps navigator at this point so access to the hotel’s wifi worked for me.

I briefly tried another free app that was loaded with advertising and pop ups, so I was lucky to find maps.me which functioned like you would expect a navigator to with no interruption in service. Also, this app is able to remember where you are going should you toggle to other apps as I did listening to music or podcasts and then flipped back to navigation.

I found maps.me in Apple’s App Store and used it on an Apple 8, smartphone. I didn’t try it, but an iPad might be a better choice to get more viewable area for situational awareness.

Safe travels,
Lew
Old 04-02-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by biobug View Post
I am more into finding a night stay and the best roads for a slow bus driven by a slow driver. We normally use WAZE but for finding campgrounds and cheap or free overnight parking it is not the best. It sounds like this app. would help. This app says it gives points of interest on the route you are following. It probably won't tell you if there is room for 65' of rig and trailer.
Love the Waze, alerts to cars on shoulder (gives time to move over if needed) police, not that I’m speeding in the bird, and traffic back ups. I DO NOT trust it for directions in the bus. I also have a truck gps with height, weight, length programmed in.

For sleeping, usually already know where we’ll be sleeping at the final destination, but for overnights in between I use the “RV Parkway” app. You can set the search parameters Walmart, CrackerBarrel, Cabelas, rest areas, TA’s, pilot, flying j, state parks, KOA’s etc and it’ll show you in a given area what’s around. It works fairly well for the one night sleep, reviews are sometimes included, but search other review sites for specific camp grounds. Will also tell you no overnight sleeping at some locations. I’ve found it’s still best to call those that ok overnights and confirm.

Tim, Dawn, Grace & Paul Mendenhall
And a handful of dogs and some Alpacas, goats & sheep