Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Toads and Trailers General discussion and For Sale or Wanted

Toads and Trailers General discussion and For Sale or Wanted Toads general discussion and list your Toads or Trailers and others that you have found For Sale and Wanted and also discussions about them here.

Site Search:

Old 08-05-2017

Default Any experience w 2015 Jeep Cherokee 4wd?

We have just purchased our 87 FC35 and are SUPER excited, but also "nervous"... (that story for another time)...

.... We are seriously considering a Jeep Cherokee 4wd 6cyl (latitude) - prob a 2015 or maybe 16 (our research suggests they have less bugs than earlier years for this vehicle.

This has to be our main driver, as well, so hence the Cherokee.

How does this flat tow for others? Any problems or concerns? Open to any thoughts or suggestions you could offer. Thanks!
Old 08-05-2017

You must be certain your choice has the correct transfer case. Some will flat tow some won't. The trick is a neutral position.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 08-05-2017

According to the 2015 flat tow guide, it is towable if:

Models with 2-Speed Power
Transfer Unit only. Transfer case
must be shifted into Neutral
and transmission in Park. See
owner’s manual for more details.
VB 1570
Old 08-06-2017

My wife's vehicle is a 2014 Cherokee Trailhawk that we use as our tow vehicle. The only thing to be careful of is that you have the small "Optional" as Jeep calls it, wiring harness installed that provides power to the steering system while towing. Any dealer should be familiar with the option and should let you know if it is or isn't installed. Your owners manual should also suggest it in the Recreational Towing Section. Our harness was installed free of charge by Jeep but I understand in later models some owners are required to pay for the harness as an "Option"
As far as towing we have had no issues at all.
Dana
2014 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
FMCA 057126
Old 08-06-2017

Hiking1:

I have a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk V6 and have been using it as a toad and daily driver since the fall of 2014. It has approx 25,000 miles on it now. I may be tempting fate, but I have not experienced any of the steering problems that some owners have had while towing. When I was notified by Chrysler that towing now required an additional switch and wiring, Chrysler Canada said their only obligation was to amend the page in the owner's manual and the cost of parts and installation would be at my expense, just as installing tow brackets and wiring modifications are owner's costs.

Other than this issue, its has been a reliable vehicle with only routine maintenance (oil, filters, tire rotation, etc.) No warranty work other than a few factory recalls and updates. My vehicle did not exhibit any of the symptoms corrected by these recalls and updates.

For towing a Cherokee you will need to have the optional Active Drive II transmission. This transmission has a low range and the transmission disconnect. The Trailhawk has the Active Drive II as a standard feature and adds a locking rear axle differential. This differential is not available on the other Cherokee models in 2014-2016. I have not read the 2017-2018 specs to see if this is still the case.

A few things that I have learned since owing it in 2014 and may apply to other vehicles as well:
  • with fancy paint, repairing a parking lot ding on the passenger side front door required painting the rear door and front fender to blend in the paint colour. $$$ If you go off road and risk scratching the paint, the black or white colour is your friend.
  • sunscreen products and leather seats do not play well together.
  • off road tires are noisier than all season tires on some types of pavement.
  • actual gas mileage and the Transport Canada window sticker do not match. I would like a larger fuel tank.

I usually keep my vehicles for about 10 years. I am not sure with all the wiring, sensors, computers, electric motors etc. that the vehicle will remain relatively trouble free until then, but my credit card hopes it will.

len.mcleod@gmail.com