Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 06-21-2019
Goat rails in the sunset

Default Safeline alarm?

I'm currently on shore power and my red and orange Safeline alarm lights are blinking.

So far I've made sure my transmission is in neutral, ignition key is off, reset my shore power connection, and made sure my antenna is down solid. If I raise the antenna at all, I get the audible alarm too.

I'm familiar with that alarm if I try to start the engine with antenna up or shore power still connected. But neither of those conditions attains now--like I said, ignition off, antenna down.

I've never seen the alarm go off with the key off. What could make it do that? I don't know how the safeline checks for antenna, thinking it might be a down sensor on the actuator?
Full-time in 2019
Old 06-21-2019

Is your rear key/switch on? Cycle that switch. Otherwise it's probably in the ignition switch. The Safeline and antenna alarms are separate. Maybe also cycle battery isolators or at least the A/T switch for a start...
chip@collectorsco.com / 804-357-4926
2004 M380 96k
Former: 90 SP36, 92 WB40, 85 FC35SB & others
Old 06-21-2019

So a few things to note from what you are saying is happening. If the alarm changes to add the audible alarm when you put the antenna up, sounds like that is working. I do not know on an SP but my PT requires that the front ignition be on for the rear one to work. I would say it could be the ignition relay is stuck on. Can happen if the contacts weld themselves closed. On a PT the ignition relay is just above the drivers head in the front overhead, SP folks will have to confirm the location of the ignition relay. I would start to see what the ignition relay is doing.

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740

http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460
Old 06-21-2019

Ned: I do not know if this will help, my BB is a 1978 and the safeline was gone when I got it. So in my album, I built a new safeline, It is basic but might help you see how they work.
2006 Jeep TJ Wrangler X
See my Album!
Old 06-21-2019
Goat rails in the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiplamb View Post
Is your rear key/switch on? Cycle that switch. Otherwise it's probably in the ignition switch. The Safeline and antenna alarms are separate. Maybe also cycle battery isolators or at least the A/T switch for a start...
Thanks Chip.

It seems to have fixed itself--just as I started in on this list of things to do, I noticed the alarm lights had gone off. They'd been on for two days.

So I turned on the key and they started blinking again. Turned key off and they stopped. I need to check the ig relay, something is getting squirrely in there even if it's working again.

As far as I can tell by observing, the antenna alarm uses the same alarm output as the shore power alarm. But they're separate inputs (test for AC and test for antenna down).

I need a terminology check, I think the AC polarity tester is also called Safeline. I haven't found much written about the alarm systems (antenna, AC power and polarity), I need to review diagrams and dig deeper into Safeline and the other.
Full-time in 2019

Last edited by nbedinger; 06-21-2019 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-21-2019
Goat rails in the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984Lodge View Post
So a few things to note from what you are saying is happening. If the alarm changes to add the audible alarm when you put the antenna up, sounds like that is working. I do not know on an SP but my PT requires that the front ignition be on for the rear one to work. I would say it could be the ignition relay is stuck on. Can happen if the contacts weld themselves closed. On a PT the ignition relay is just above the drivers head in the front overhead, SP folks will have to confirm the location of the ignition relay. I would start to see what the ignition relay is doing.
Thanks Jeff. I hear a relay when I key it--it's in the dashboard behind the ignition switch. I'll check it out and probably just replace it with a new relay when I get to town.

I forget if the rear ignition needs the front on, seems to me it does. I haven't used the rear switch in years, so I don't think it is the source of alarm anyway. I guess it could be a loose wire on the DPDT switch.
Full-time in 2019
Old 06-21-2019
Goat rails in the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78bbird View Post
Ned: I do not know if this will help, my BB is a 1978 and the safeline was gone when I got it. So in my album, I built a new safeline, It is basic but might help you see how they work.
Hey Mark--

Thanks, found it in your album. Yours blinks OR sounds alarm? I need the alarm

How long have you had that '47 Willys?
Full-time in 2019
Old 06-22-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbedinger View Post
Thanks Jeff. I hear a relay when I key it--it's in the dashboard behind the ignition switch. I'll check it out and probably just replace it with a new relay when I get to town.

I forget if the rear ignition needs the front on, seems to me it does. I haven't used the rear switch in years, so I don't think it is the source of alarm anyway. I guess it could be a loose wire on the DPDT switch.
I would say from the sounds of it, its the relay. Mine was acting up and would not always come on, so I replaced it and no issues now.

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740

http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460
Old 06-22-2019

I had the 47 *****'s for 10 years. Had it at "Q" for 3 years, but without doors or roof Laura said we should get a newer jeep to tow and be rain proof. As soon as the 78 BB is good to go, I will work on the *****'s it needs brakes and fix the fuel tank the po made to go under the rear.
2006 Jeep TJ Wrangler X
See my Album!