Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #41  
Old 4 Days Ago
Bill Pape's Avatar
Bill Pape Bill Pape is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Commerce
Posts: 11,673
Default

Keep at it Seth, it is a good generator, just a little complex with the electrical wiring. Fortunately looks like you have an SP, out the front. Much easier that other models.
__________________
Bill & Patty
1988 FC, Silver Edition
Commerce, Michigan
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 4 Days Ago
okstate11 okstate11 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Lawton
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pape View Post
Keep at it Seth, it is a good generator, just a little complex with the electrical wiring. Fortunately looks like you have an SP, out the front. Much easier that other models.
Thanks for the support!! I should also mention that I'm pretty sure this was David Stfy's SP!
__________________
Seth Hastings
Lawton, Oklahoma
N/A
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 4 Days Ago
Bill Pape's Avatar
Bill Pape Bill Pape is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Commerce
Posts: 11,673
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by okstate11 View Post
Thanks for the support!! I should also mention that I'm pretty sure this was David Stfy's SP!
Ha, Way TO GO, The Missing black/grey SP several of us know or have owned this Bird, you will get a lot of help., Lots of good history
__________________
Bill & Patty
1988 FC, Silver Edition
Commerce, Michigan
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 4 Days Ago
okstate11 okstate11 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Lawton
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pape View Post
Ha, Way TO GO, The Missing black/grey SP several of us know or have owned this Bird, you will get a lot of help., Lots of good history
Thanks! Its been very well kept! Only a handful of frustrating "small" things like this that are driving me insane!! lol
__________________
Seth Hastings
Lawton, Oklahoma
N/A
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 4 Days Ago
okstate11 okstate11 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Lawton
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pape View Post
Ha, Way TO GO, The Missing black/grey SP several of us know or have owned this Bird, you will get a lot of help., Lots of good history
From a month ago: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1526.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	67051
__________________
Seth Hastings
Lawton, Oklahoma
N/A
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 4 Days Ago
Clueless Clueless is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Valparaiso
Posts: 2,042
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by okstate11 View Post
Thanks for the support!! I should also mention that I'm pretty sure this was David Stfy's SP!
I thought so. Me and Bill had some interesting road trips in that bus, and it may hold the record in the birds spotted today thread. I remember less of the details of that bus with each passing day.

I've seen several Onan 8kw generators brought back to life with a new fault breaker. Exercise it or replace it. A fractional amp breaker is sensitive. Any even slight connection to ground will trip it.

Got one running a few weeks ago with a jumper around the control power breaker and subsequent replacement with a blade fuse.

Have seen many with burned wires connecting those 3 breaker/fuses.

Do any of the genny start switches work?

The upper dash volt meter is the generator voltage. If you have a battery charger on, this should read greater than 13.4 volts.

Is the battery water level ok? Depleting them to 9 volts is very bad.

Can you jump start it? (Not hotwire the starter.)

The generator start in the overhead dash doesn't work. The stop does though.

If you push the start button and get a click, push it again. Especially the button on the generator.
__________________
David Styf
82 FC 33 SB SOLD
89 SP 36 Silver Edition SOLD
96 WB
Valparaiso, In./Baldwin, Mi.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 4 Days Ago
okstate11 okstate11 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Lawton
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
I thought so. Me and Bill had some interesting road trips in that bus, and it may hold the record in the birds spotted today thread. I remember less of the details of that bus with each passing day.

I've seen several Onan 8kw generators brought back to life with a new fault breaker. Exercise it or replace it. A fractional amp breaker is sensitive. Any even slight connection to ground will trip it.

Got one running a few weeks ago with a jumper around the control power breaker and subsequent replacement with a blade fuse.

Have seen many with burned wires connecting those 3 breaker/fuses.

Do any of the genny start switches work?

The upper dash volt meter is the generator voltage. If you have a battery charger on, this should read greater than 13.4 volts.

Is the battery water level ok? Depleting them to 9 volts is very bad.

Can you jump start it? (Not hotwire the starter.)

The generator start in the overhead dash doesn't work. The stop does though.

If you push the start button and get a click, push it again. Especially the button on the generator.

Okay!

None of the Genny Switches work. No crank. Just a continuous click when the switch is pressed 'on'..which I have determined is the fuel lift pump (as I can feel it physically to the touch). If I remove the 20A blade control fuse the click goes away. The voltage reads 13.6 with the charger on..sometimes 14+. The upper dash switch is very sensitive..although it does work the majority of the time. I tried jumping directly to the batteries..but this did not work. Have not checked the water battery levels.
__________________
Seth Hastings
Lawton, Oklahoma
N/A

Last edited by okstate11; 4 Days Ago at 11:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 3 Days Ago
Clueless Clueless is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Valparaiso
Posts: 2,042
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by okstate11 View Post
Okay!

None of the Genny Switches work. No crank. Just a continuous click when the switch is pressed 'on'..which I have determined is the fuel lift pump (as I can feel it physically to the touch). If I remove the 20A blade control fuse the click goes away. The voltage reads 13.6 with the charger on..sometimes 14+. The upper dash switch is very sensitive..although it does work the majority of the time. I tried jumping directly to the batteries..but this did not work. Have not checked the water battery levels.
Try jumping it with a car or some 12 volt source other than the onboard batteries.
Make sure the fault breaker button stays in when pressed.
Is the 12 volt ground tight and shiny?
Are the battery connections tight?
Does the solenoid get a 12 volt signal when the start button is pushed?
Time for a meter and a schematic.
My guess is that the solution will be a headslapper.

I just went thru Amarillo and OK on 40 like 3 days ago. I could have detoured a bit to look.
__________________
David Styf
82 FC 33 SB SOLD
89 SP 36 Silver Edition SOLD
96 WB
Valparaiso, In./Baldwin, Mi.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 3 Days Ago
okstate11 okstate11 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Lawton
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Try jumping it with a car or some 12 volt source other than the onboard batteries.
Make sure the fault breaker button stays in when pressed.
Is the 12 volt ground tight and shiny?
Are the battery connections tight?
Does the solenoid get a 12 volt signal when the start button is pushed?
Time for a meter and a schematic.
My guess is that the solution will be a headslapper.

I just went thru Amarillo and OK on 40 like 3 days ago. I could have detoured a bit to look.

I tried jumping it with a car and a 12v battery jump starter. Fault Breaker is pressed in. All connections look good/tight. I'm going to test the control solenoid for 12V with the button right now!

Thanks!
__________________
Seth Hastings
Lawton, Oklahoma
N/A
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 3 Days Ago
okstate11 okstate11 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Lawton
Posts: 39
Default

Tested: Control Solenoid is getting 12.8V with switch depressed.
__________________
Seth Hastings
Lawton, Oklahoma
N/A
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engine starting issue Debugjaws Engine 26 09-30-2018 12:01 AM
Starting/Electrical issue Mark V10 SP (Single Axle Pusher Unique Issues) 37 09-22-2018 05:42 PM
Starting issue biobug SP (Single Axle Pusher Unique Issues) 7 11-25-2016 11:20 AM
Starting issue Machineman Electrical 18 07-05-2014 10:15 AM
Intermittent starting issue BikeRider Engine 21 04-10-2013 01:44 PM

Web Search:

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.