Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Eclipse Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 02-18-2015

Default 3208 Alternator Problems

Folks,

Yesterday morning we started out from a great free campground in Apalachacola FL (under the bridge, view of the river out the front window). It had gotten cold over night and everything was damp with condensation. I noticed when I started up the bus that it was not charging (I have an Amp Meter that is part of my boondocking - solar setup). I opened the dog house and checked the + and - on the alternator. I saw the battery voltage, nothing else. So I started the Kohler-Perkins generator and we headed out.

About 30 miles outside town I noticed the charging amps doubled and began to vary according to engine speed. I shut off the generator and sure enough the alternator was working again. I hopefully put the problem down to moist ocean air and we continued to Biloxi MS.

We stayed last night at a Walmart and this morning the alternator started generating right off when I started the Cat. Life is good!

This afternoon we stopped in Lake Charles LA to "reset the fuel gauge" ($2.49/Gal). When I started up the Cat - no power from the alternator. I drove out of town hoping it would start working again - no go. I started the generator and continued.

We are at a Flying J just east of Houston. After the Cat cooled off a little I opened the dog house and took the attached pictures, copied down identifying information from the alternator and just for the fun of it started it up - now it is generating power!

Is there a chance it is just the voltage regulator?

Is this the kind of stuff you can get a Napa or do you have to go to a truck place?

We are heading to San Antonio next - almost there. Once we get settled I would love to not have to swing the radiator as I'm never sure how the campground will react. Also my radiator core is shot and the last time I swung it it about doubled the leak.

Anyone familiar with San Antonio and can suggest a good place to shop for alternators?

Alternator model number 7764JA 14 Volt 130 Amp A0017704JA
Voltage Regulator Transpo L77973HD 12V 1226
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0623.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	34129   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0625.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	34130  
clyndes@gmail.com
http://blog.livinglearningmobile.com/
Old 02-18-2015

Stewart Stevenson has a shop and parts in San Antonio... I just called them for gaskets.

Anyways... i used them a lot in Denver. May have alternator luck with them or be steered by the parts guy.
FMCA 387867
Old 02-18-2015
flyingjunebugs

Default Looks like corrosion on the alternator connections.

Hi,
Maybe just cleaning the alternator connections, might help. Is the alternator belt tight? Be sure and disconnect the battery grounds, before touching the alternator wiring. These might be things a mobile mechanic could help you with.
Bruce
Old 02-18-2015

Here is an alternator/starter shop in San Antonio. No affiliation and never used them but have good BBB ratings and been around since 74.
http://www.texasalternator.com/

The Leece Neveille part number crossed from the current regulator is a rr779.
Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 02-18-2015

Don't get talked into a big dollar repair, new Leece Neville @ Freighliner dealers. Under 200.
Germantown, WI
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 02-19-2015
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hohnstein View Post
Don't get talked into a big dollar repair, new Leece Neville @ Freighliner dealers. Under 200.
I agree with Mike, I even carry another one with the proper pulley already installed with me in case I have to change it out on the road, it is cheap insurance. I have only used the new spare when we did the engine upgrade last year as I wanted all new parts on the upgraded engine and then I put the old one that was still working OK in the spare parts bin for further emergency use. Years ago at Maxton my spare new alternator was used by another 'Bird owner that needed one at the time, but that's a whole other story in its self.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 02-19-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
I agree with Mike, I even carry another one with the proper pulley already installed with me in case I have to change it out on the road, it is cheap insurance. I have only used the new spare when we did the engine upgrade last year as I wanted all new parts on the upgraded engine and then I put the old one that was still working OK in the spare parts bin for further emergency use. Years ago at Maxton my spare new alternator was used by another 'Bird owner that needed one at the time, but that's a whole other story in its self.
Good idea...
FMCA 387867
Old 02-19-2015

Thanks folks for all the great suggestions. I just finished cleaning the contacts (except for the big + from the batteries, didn't want to haul out the battery tray and disconnect here in a Flying J truck lot).

Has anyone removed the voltage regulator from one of these? How is it held on? I see the bolts that go to the + and - on the alternator with bent copper sheets, is that all that holds it on?

If I go for a whole new alternator, I assume the new one will not have pulleys. Are there special tools necessary to take the pulley off the old one and put it on the new one? Is that something the place I buy it from will do?

Thanks in advance -
clyndes@gmail.com
http://blog.livinglearningmobile.com/
Old 02-19-2015

Craig,
If you do go the replacement route it may not be a simple bolt on. In your photo it looks like the mounts on your alternator are at 10 and 6 o'clock. I think a new unit will have them at 12 and 6. If so you will need to modify your adjusting bracket. Several people have done it and there are multiple solutions. I used a coupling nut and threaded rod to extend mine. Not difficult to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6679 (800x533).jpg
Views:	225
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	34133  
1986 PT40 8v92
"Sturdy Birdy"
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=352
ce@pinelandplantation.com
Old 02-19-2015
Huggie

Default Alternator Pulley Removal / Alternator Replacement

Have a new one in the trunk of my car for my SP Purchased on E Bay I believe. I live south of where you were on the East Side of Houston. Would have given you mine. Mr. Vice Grips is in SanAntonio Chilling out in the relative warm dry air.

Might send him a private E Mail He is very tool savey chap. There are some more Birders in and around San Antonio, Never met any of them but I believe they are all very mechanical by nature. Part of the Texas Independance thing.

Back to the pulley, are they just a pop off with a pully puller or are there threads ? I dont see set key or a set screw to remove

Mike
HUGGIE BEAR
281-853-4569