Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 06-18-2018

HEY, Jim Walters! Do you have any pictures of how your bracket for your tire tie down is attached to the coach's structure and/or explanation?
Thanks
Old 06-18-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPHAT1 View Post
HEY, Jim Walters! Do you have any pictures of how your bracket for your tire tie down is attached to the coach's structure and/or explanation?
Thanks
The c-channel is attached with rivnuts. The rest of the details are as follows.

You can get a piece of galvanized steel 4" c-channel about 4 ft. long. The c-channel of course strengthens itself from its shape. There is a half inch nut welded to the center of the bottom 12 inch piece c-channel with a half inch threaded rod screwed into it. That is then all attached to the roof or deck plate, however and wherever you wish. Then you get a turnbuckle. Attach it to the lower threaded rod. I used a half inch threaded eye bolt for the top portion of the turnbuckle, so no tools are required to tighten or loosen it. I can do it bare handed this way. Now you need a second piece of c-channel about 30" to 36" long to go across the top of the tire, with a hole drilled in the center. Buy some rolled aluminum to go around the tire. I cut it the circumference of the tire originally. But subsequent use of 315 tires made it a little shorter than the original 12Rs, but it wasn't bad enough to change it. Then buy a couple of 4" screw type hose clamps. Cut the hose clamps in half. Attach each half to the ends of the aluminum, one top and another at the bottom. I used pop rivets to accomplish that.

You then wrap your tire in plastic or whatever to protect it from the sun. Put it over the bottom piece of c-channel and center it. Then place the aluminum around the tire and place the loose end of the clamp strap into the screw part on the other end of the aluminum. Do that on both and tighten until snug enough to keep the wind from blowing the aluminum off. Then take the longer piece of c-channel, place it across the tire and take the eye bolt and put it through the hole and into the top portion of the turnbuckle. Tighten firmly by hand or you can use tools if you wish. That is a personal preference, obviously. All the sizes and dimensions I mentioned can be changed to suit your purpose or desire. There is no reason any of them can't be changed that I can think of. I'm sure you can even improve on it in some ways. Every 4 years I get a new set of steer tires and place the old ones on the tag. I take one of the tag tires then put it on the roof for a spare. This is just to get me off the road and to someplace where I can get a quality replacement. I can't see spending big money for a spare to have it on the roof and just rot. I lose a tire, call Coach-Net they send somebody out to change the tire and I then find a tire when I reach civilization and have a new one put on.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 06-18-2018

Jim, thank you for the great description you wrote up! I was thinking of a good way to carry a used spare and your method sounds great.

I have two questions.
- You mentioned Rivnuts - where did you use them?

- If your design is attached to the decking ( I have the same decking as you), does your decking need to be retightened every now and then, from the possible bouncing of the tire?
Old 06-18-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPHAT1 View Post
Jim, thank you for the great description you wrote up! I was thinking of a good way to carry a used spare and your method sounds great.

I have two questions.
- You mentioned Rivnuts - where did you use them?

- If your design is attached to the decking ( I have the same decking as you), does your decking need to be retightened every now and then, from the possible bouncing of the tire?
Gunner, the bottom c-channel is attached to the roof and not the deck. The reason is that the bottom c-channel needs to be shorter than the inside of the tire opening. If it was longer the c-channel would cut the tire and render it useless in short order. Just use neoprene washers and seal them good with Dicor. Mine has been fine for over 10 years, without issue.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 06-18-2018

OK, now I can visually see it in my mind! Thanks
Old 06-18-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiavette View Post
Rick - should we add them to our Service Center list? If so, is there anything specific other than what you've listed above that should be noted?

Thanks!
Yes of course, add them. I made an appointment with them and they were on time with my installation. Great tire experience.

Rick in Ohio

1980 FC35, 1961 PD4106 GMC SN:326 Charter member of the Two Bus Club for now
I am in Toledo, Ohio
Rick Gunther
Old 06-18-2018

Rick -
I'm going to take you up on the breakfast if I'm passing through Toledo around that time in about 6 more weeks when I drive back out to pick up the daughter.
stuart@safcofoam.com
Old 06-18-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFCO View Post
Rick -
I'm going to take you up on the breakfast if I'm passing through Toledo around that time in about 6 more weeks when I drive back out to pick up the daughter.
I'll pencil you in LOL! Here's the website it is Nick's Cafe

http://www.nicksfamilycafe.com/

1980 FC35, 1961 PD4106 GMC SN:326 Charter member of the Two Bus Club for now
I am in Toledo, Ohio
Rick Gunther