Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Vehicle Issues

Vehicle Issues Frequently asked questions about vehicles, parts, maintenance, and troubleshooting

Site Search:

Old 03-18-2012

Default 1982 FC35SB Level Jack Operation

Hi, everyone -

I'm trying to sort out how to test the operation of the leveling jacks on my new rig.

With the engine off, I turn on the 12v power switch and the master leveling switch to "on" - what I see is a red light on one jack, but no sounds or anything.

I've tried this both after running the engine and also right after reconnecting battery disconnect, before engine start.

I tried the using the individual levers to lower the jacks, but don't hear a pump going or anything.

I am able to move the jacks by hand, so they not binding that way, and I do see the actuators attached.

Any thoughts about where start debugging would be appreciated.

Jon
Old 03-18-2012
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

Hi Jon,
If you don't hear the pump it could be a bad ground. Pump and solenoid located beneath step. Loosen solenoid mount and pump mount bolts (9/16 I think) Clean with contact cleaner apply a little dielectric grease retighten. Worth a try. Careful around the step. It can bite bad!

NH Bill
St. Petersburg, Florida
Wanderlodge Social: https://mewe.com/profile/5bfc750ae760be22b1797898
Old 03-18-2012
Gardner

The red lights indicate a jack is deployed (or not fully retracted). They are activated by a mercury switch strapped to the individual jack. You may have a shorted or bent switch. They stick up from the side of the jack facing the rear. The green lights are connected to s level sensor and are supposed to indicate which jack needs to be energized to level the coach (but it is not always very good, I use a round level to see determine what jack to adjust.

The levers move a bar that activates a micro switch that energizes a relay that starts the hydraulic pump. The levers stop in the right most position to retract the jacks and in the center pisition to maintain the setting. Moved fully to the left thay should activate the pump. The pump is located below the second step inside the coach (the step lifts up to check the fluid).

So start by determining if the pump is there and if there is power to the relay near the pump. The leveling system should be active regardless of the ignition key position (at least mine is), only the jack on switch on the dash needs to be on.

Go to the HWH corp site for more information. Here is the parts diagram for the valve showing the micro switch.
http://www.hwhcorp.com/mr551000.pdf
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 03-18-2012

Thanks, Gardner and Bill

This is very helpful, I'll start poking around and see if it looks like all the parts are there in the system to start with.

Assuming I get these working, should I be able to leave the coach jacked up on them for extended periods (i.e. weeks or months), provided nothing is leaking from the jacks themselves? Or for an extended stay, is it best to use the jacks to raise the coach and level it out and then use blocks?
Old 03-18-2012
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez_rider View Post
Thanks, Gardner and Bill

This is very helpful, I'll start poking around and see if it looks like all the parts are there in the system to start with.

Assuming I get these working, should I be able to leave the coach jacked up on them for extended periods (i.e. weeks or months), provided nothing is leaking from the jacks themselves? Or for an extended stay, is it best to use the jacks to raise the coach and level it out and then use blocks?
You can leave it on jacks as long as you want, provided thay don't leak and the individual valves also hold. I would suggest wiping the exposed shafts with ATF periodicaly to prevent rust and remove dirt. I was told that sand and other abrasives left on the shafts can damage the seals when you retract them. My rear jack seals both failed at the same time in a sandy enfvironment out West.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 03-18-2012

As said previously...a common suspect for your symtoms is a weak/poor ground. If you have a set of jumper cables run one to the chassis and make a good connection...the other end: look just behind your step and up and you will see the back side of the HWH fluid tank (uses Dextron ATF) and the pump motor. Connect the other end to the motor...the big nut head is excellent. Now test...if it works....clean per Bill's post...you have proven it is a bad ground.

A second suspect are the switchs UNDER the lever faceplate. Remove and clean this area...compressed air and some electric contact cleaner may be needed. The lever knobs unscrew to allow full removal of plate.

Remember...tank fill level is checked with jacks up.

Coach photos & comments: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...php?albumid=79
Old 03-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.wernlein View Post
As said previously...a common suspect for your symtoms is a weak/poor ground. If you have a set of jumper cables run one to the chassis and make a good connection...the other end: look just behind your step and up and you will see the back side of the HWH fluid tank (uses Dextron ATF) and the pump motor. Connect the other end to the motor...the big nut head is excellent. Now test...if it works....clean per Bill's post...you have proven it is a bad ground.

A second suspect are the switchs UNDER the lever faceplate. Remove and clean this area...compressed air and some electric contact cleaner may be needed. The lever knobs unscrew to allow full removal of plate.

Remember...tank fill level is checked with jacks up.
If you are like me, the third suspect would be that you didn't push the levers far enough. They need to be pushed all the way to the wall HARD.

After I learned this, the jacks worked fine. Learned a lot about the system and troubleshooting before I figured out the 3rd choice though.
Valparaiso, In./Baldwin, Mi.
Old 03-18-2012

The techs at HWH at the factory in Iowa said the jacks are just like everything else on an RV-- they need to be operated regularly. When we're parked for months, I retract the jacks and then re-level once a month.
www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=168
Old 03-18-2012
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Hi Jon,

You didn’t mention having an HWH "Lever Controlled Leveling System" operator’s manual – if you don’t have one you can download it here:

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/downloads/HWH/HWH%20Manual%20Leveling%20System.pdf

This is from the HWH Downloads Data Base:

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/downloads/HWH/
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 03-19-2012

Jon, are you operating the individual joy sticks?
Cape Cod,ma