Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Ladies > Ladies General Discussion

Ladies General Discussion Discussion of general topics that the ladies of WOG may find interesting to talk about.

Site Search:

Old 09-07-2015

Default Traveling with young children

In less than one week, we will be hitting the road with our four children ages 8, 6,6 and 6. They are excited to "camp". We are a bit anxious to get underway with a healthy bird, making last minute tweaks and adjustments. From my many years in the Alaskan backcountry, I'd never leave home without duct tape, tarred twine and coffee. I have added a bit to this list including paper, crayons, colorful yarn, elmer's glue, scotch tape, hot glue and tacky glue.
Would love any suggestions for other kid items that we should pack.
1988 PT40
Old 09-07-2015

I did Disney from PA 2 years ago and had the bus loaded with electronics...... Thank the lord!
There was also other adults on board, because there's only so many times you can hear "Are we there yet"
john@pletcherfire.com
Old 09-07-2015

I gotta agree...TV and DVD's! One you get there a shovel, bucket and flashlight is all my daughter needs.
1984 FC35RB Sold
Old 09-07-2015

I guess if you talk to them about the trip and how special it will be for them to see all the things they will see, yo won't need to take anything. My kids were 6 and 10 the first time we went across the USA for a month and drive 7,500 miles. They had a couple of games and a deck of cards. No TV, DVD, Cell Phone, nothing. They then went again when then were 10 and 14. Another month and just shy of 8,000 miles. Same thing. They are 45 and 41 now and they still talk about the great time they had and all the wonderful things they got to see, that most of the kids they knew back then and many of the adults they know now, have yet to see. I think if you use the "electronics" to babysit for you, you are doing them and yourself a great disservice.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 09-07-2015

We have put on around 12,000 miles in our bird with three kids. I am actually OK with electronics on the road because I don't think its reasonable to expect children to be able to enjoy the scenery. So Ipods and movies keep them happy on the road, and they are not allowed to even look at them when the bus is stopped, so its a good compromise. Having said that we always have a massive box of lego, and also crafts and card games. So they do get a bit of variety, but I think its a good compromise. Also, when we camp we sometimes set up a separate tent for them to play games and lego in. Even my 15 year old still spends a fair bit of time doing that.
Side Bath
3208NA (for now....)
Old 09-07-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
I guess if you talk to them about the trip and how special it will be for them to see all the things they will see, yo won't need to take anything. My kids were 6 and 10 the first time we went across the USA for a month and drive 7,500 miles. They had a couple of games and a deck of cards. No TV, DVD, Cell Phone, nothing. They then went again when then were 10 and 14. Another month and just shy of 8,000 miles. Same thing. They are 45 and 41 now and they still talk about the great time they had and all the wonderful things they got to see, that most of the kids they knew back then and many of the adults they know now, have yet to see. I think if you use the "electronics" to babysit for you, you are doing them and yourself a great disservice.
x2 I couldn't agree more Jim!
Austintown,Ohio
Old 09-07-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icefixr66 View Post
x2 I couldn't agree more Jim!
X3, X3, X3...
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 09-08-2015

You guys must be very patient. Trying to keep three boys from killing each other while driving in heavy traffic is no fun.
Side Bath
3208NA (for now....)
Old 09-08-2015

My daughter is still in a carseat so it depends on where she's at. Sometimes I'll put it in the copilot seat and she is thrilled to death..loves sitting there. After a couple of hours at a stop it will get moved to the couch and then we throw in a dvd. I think it depends on the type of traveler you are also...we are hammer down on the Interstate (not speeding, but I take IH over scenic routes due to time constraints) so after you've seen the 5th Stuckey's billboard it gets kind of old..even at my age!

Once we get where we're going we stay outside anyways so it's not really relevant (unless it's raining). I have a lot of good memories from when I was young of camping, fishing, etc... and I want to make sure she has those too...she just won't have the memories of being bored to tears on the way to the destination.
1984 FC35RB Sold
Old 09-08-2015

You'll need rules:

No standing while bus moving.
No open lid cups.
No milk in cups.
No snacks that melt.
No throwing anything inside.
Food allowed at dinette only.
No sitting in driver's seat.
Wash hands, wash them again (with 2 kids, our gray and black tanks are full within 2 days).

You'll also need extra shoes for the kids, Tevas for the beach Merrells for the woods plus everyday shoes.
Hose to hose the kids off before coming inside.
Lots of Clorox wipes.

Don't worry about the kids, bring things to make your portion of trip easier.
FLYING DUTCHMAN