Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Ladies > Ladies General Discussion

Ladies General Discussion Discussion of general topics that the ladies of WOG may find interesting to talk about.

Site Search:

Old 09-08-2015

Interesting discussion. My Amish and Mennonite friends seem to handle five or six kids with a lot less trouble then "we" do with one or two.

I am not unsympathetic and I don't see a real problem with electronic entertainment used with some restrictions. You can't change the rules just because one day the adults decide to take a motor home trip/vacation.

I just talked to my daughter about over thinking her interactions with her 6 and 8 year old children.

Is there no longer common sense??? I do believe that children should be encouraged to see beyond their limited horizons and what a better way to do that then to take them on a trip. HOWEVER. It would be darned unlikely to force some disinterested 6 or 8 year old to see things as I do on such a trip. Doing so means neither of us would have a good time so. I know how my grand kids are. The little girl thinks she has to have every stuff animal made and the boy is currently into legos to degree I think ridiculous. Their attention span beyond that is about ten minutes. Frankly I'd never consider taking them for more then an over night in the bus (if that). Just because I am not up to the challenge myself at 69 years of age. The right of a grand parent extends to saying "if you want to take them camping YOU do it" to the daughter and son in law.

My answer is.... wait for it.....DO WHAT WORKS. If the kid has his nose in a video game four hours a day prior to the trip maybe you can get his nose out of it an hour or so a day during the trip. I would count that a success.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia
Old 09-08-2015

Let the kids pick two or three extras. Just make sure a spot is designated for the extras before you depart. Nothing worse than stepping on a lego in the middle of the night, except tripping over shoes while exiting!

I like the extra tent idea, I'm now considering picking one up for a designated/contained play area.
FLYING DUTCHMAN
Old 09-08-2015

Dang, I travelled from Mesa, AZ to Richmond, VA in a 19 ft class C when there were no cellphones, ipads, ipods or any thing else, with 5, 6, and 10 yr. olds. Was a 4 week vacation, and I worked in Richmond for 2 weeks. Didn't even have a TV, or a generator, or even an inverter in that beast. Kept it til we had 2 more kids and travelled all over AZ with it. Last trip was a week split between Sedona/Oak Creek Canyon and the Grand Canyon.
The Short Bus would have felt like a mansion in those days.

THE SHORT BUS
(She's Just a Little Slow)
Old 09-08-2015

So Dave, what's the trick? How did you make it work?

Kids are people too and each and every one is different. And times have changed.

I believe my daughter would have done fine and I regret getting into RV's long after her reaching maturity. My grand kids ??? At this point in my life I'd never consider taking them on an extended trip. Not that I don't love them but I know how they are.

We forget that kids today have already seen everything on TV and in the movies. How are you going to top that? It's not their fault or ours necessarily for that matter but it is what it is.

Asking a kid to ride for countless hours is asking a lot don't care how you cut it,

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia
Old 09-08-2015

Let's compare the 1965 to 1925 for a relavant technology jump then too.....
Most cars that were used in 65 used a radio where 1925 didn't for a road trip.
I bet most parents used the radio to satisfy everyone in the car in 65.
My point is times change, and so do we...... Everyone had it tougher back then, whenever "then was".
Kids will be kids, and certain kids only have an attention span that lasts so long.
john@pletcherfire.com
Old 09-08-2015

I've checked with all three of my adult children. They all say the most memorable time of their childhood was the 30 day motorhome trips. Each had a different personality. One had his nose in a book non-stop. One had her nose stuck to the window non-stop, just to see everything... that one has since been "everywhere" from the amazon jungles to the china great wall... along with her husband and four boys. The other one slept through most of the travels - I learned later he was always motion sick and just didn't gripe about it.

The big deal they looked forward to was every third night we'd be in a "REAL" RV park - one with cable TV. Otherwise we were in cheap campgrounds. A long day on the road was 2-3 hours. Lots of stops and destinations.
1993 Automate FW SOLD
1984 Toyota Dolphin
Old 09-08-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblerboy64 View Post
So Dave, what's the trick? How did you make it work?

Kids are people too and each and every one is different. And times have changed.

I believe my daughter would have done fine and I regret getting into RV's long after her reaching maturity. My grand kids ??? At this point in my life I'd never consider taking them on an extended trip. Not that I don't love them but I know how they are.

We forget that kids today have already seen everything on TV and in the movies. How are you going to top that? It's not their fault or ours necessarily for that matter but it is what it is.

Asking a kid to ride for countless hours is asking a lot don't care how you cut it,
The one that was 6 when I got that MH is sitting here with me now (he's 48 now) says books, coloring books, card games, looking out at all the scenery they had never seen before and games like watching for license plates from all the states, and various roadside things, like a red barn, or farm animals. He also says "we didn't have all the electronic stuff so we never missed it."

THE SHORT BUS
(She's Just a Little Slow)
Old 09-08-2015

What is the point in torturing the adults in the bus? The kids are very happy for literally hours watching videos and playing multiplayer games, and I put lots of miles on. When we get there the electronics get put away and we are a camping family. Don't forget the kids are on holiday as well. You can tell them they should enjoy looking at the scenery but a 10 year old just plain will not be interested. I would say again though that we have lots of other diversions in the bus as well such as card games lego and crafts. But when they tire of those the electronics are an excellent time waster. If you can keep your kids happy and peaceful without electronics then power to you, but I am OK with them.

Also don't forget that if you the man are driving the bus, then it is your wife doing all she can to keep the kids occupied, not you. And she won't have any time to look out the window. At least mine doesn't.
Side Bath
3208NA (for now....)
Old 09-08-2015

I know I'm gonna irrigate more than a few folks with my simple solution to parenting & traveling with kids.
That is - - - - - unruly, annoying, misbehaving kids get sent to TIME OUT. - - -
TIME OUT is a locking seat belt & restraints on the commode. Best deterrent ever
What say you - Heck Man

I will be making my first long trip from PA to OK & CO with my cousin John who is 10 years younger than me. Emma will be joining me in CO for the trip home to FL.
I sure hope I don't have to put either of them in TIME OUT
"Bordering On Adequate"
Old 09-08-2015
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSS View Post
I know I'm gonna irrigate more than a few folks with my simple solution to parenting & traveling with kids.
That is - - - - - unruly, annoying, misbehaving kids get sent to TIME OUT. - - -
TIME OUT is a locking seat belt & restraints on the commode. Best deterrent ever
What say you - Heck Man

I will be making my first long trip from PA to OK & CO with my cousin John who is 10 years younger than me. Emma will be joining me in CO for the trip home to FL.
I sure hope I don't have to put either of them in TIME OUT

Traveling with adults can be challenging