Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Vehicle Issues

Vehicle Issues Frequently asked questions about vehicles, parts, maintenance, and troubleshooting

Site Search:

Old 02-08-2010

while i have never changed the foot valve on a bird i have looked at them to see what a job it would be.
and boy,does it look like a bad job to me.
my hands and arms are big,i don't think i could get them in those places to work.
is there any tips you can share?[/QUOTE]
Randy, Fire apparatus have some foot valves that are as close to impossible to replace as you could ever imagine. I found that most times I could just remove and replace the plunger/piston assy from the valve and if that was the cause it would stop leaking. I don't think there are any moving parts in there but the plunger/piston assy. Of course you can get feedback from another unit leaking and feeding back to the footvalve! Common culprit is a bad maxi chamber. I never replace a foot valve if I didn't have to. Fire trucks can't have air leaks so all repairs get a dose of soapy water and a close inspection. Hope this helps. Rick in NW Ohio

1980 FC35, 1961 PD4106 GMC SN:326 Charter member of the Two Bus Club for now
I am in Toledo, Ohio
Rick Gunther

Last edited by Friday1; 02-08-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-08-2010
Forum owner

Very good info Rick,thanks!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-08-2010

That is good info. If you can remove the pedal, pull the piston and replace some O rings and all from the top! I think we may have a tendency to over repair.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 02-08-2010

Most foot valves, the repair piston or plunger has all the orings and seals already on it. Also some grease that is compatible with the different metals and rubber comes in the kit. Keeping your air system clean and dry will make your components last longer and be trouble-read that LEAK-free! Prolly most component failures are from moisture in the system. It never hurts to open the drains every so often just to see what comes out even if you have an air dryer. Chasing air leaks is an art form. Wrenching fire trucks I got good at it. One minute in the engine house building pressure means an hour longer fighting a fire-firehouse rule of thumb. If you leak check every repair with soapy water it pays off. Be suspect of every fitting and component. Spray the rubber flappers where air is exhausted from the component also. Use teflon tape or liquid on all pipe threads. Be clean and careful with your repairs. I am a plastic airline guy. Push on fittings are the best! Copper and ferrules are so much extra work and new fire trucks are all plastic and push on fittings so they are DOT approved. You can run air, vacuum, gasoline, water, or diesel through the lines and fittings and they never leak. I have never seen a push on fitting leak air! Rick in Ohio

I am in Toledo, Ohio
Rick Gunther
Old 02-08-2010

Default vacuum lines

Speaking of the vacuum lines for the Dana cruise. the vacuum pump for the cruise control on our unit is plugged as described in the earlier post. My question is can, I now disconnect the vacuum canister that is still on the engine. that is the black round ball near the throttle as I perceive it. and also the vacuum lines that go to the device that pulls the throttle back for the disconnected cruise.
Old 02-08-2010

what is a maxi chamber?
Old 02-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjtoles View Post
Speaking of the vacuum lines for the Dana cruise. the vacuum pump for the cruise control on our unit is plugged as described in the earlier post. My question is can, I now disconnect the vacuum canister that is still on the engine. that is the black round ball near the throttle as I perceive it. and also the vacuum lines that go to the device that pulls the throttle back for the disconnected cruise.
Ron, Take it off. It will have no effect on your Bird as long as the Vacuum pump is disabled.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 02-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjtoles View Post
what is a maxi chamber?
That is the big cylinder looking things (one on each side)mounted on your rear axel. Part of the chamber is Service Brakes and the other part is the Parking Brake.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 02-08-2010

There is a diaphram in the maxi that pulls the parking brake mechanism back so the brakes release. There is a diaphram in the maxi that pushes the brake shoes to the drum in a brake application. Two diaphrams. If you look at the rear brake chambers they are piggybacked on each other. If there is a leak between them it will turn up as a leak(with parking brakes ON)at the foot valve flapper or exhaust port at the foot pedal. Sometimes you can hear it. Many a foot valve assy has been changed only to find it is still leaking! Some of the foot valves are a real challenge to change. So much for a remove and replace until it quits approach to repair.

I am in Toledo, Ohio
Rick Gunther
Old 02-08-2010

I wondering if that may have been the cause of the leak I heard coming from under the treadle valve this weekend. No sure why it would have just stopped though. I was playing around with the valve in the area of the diaphragm that releases the air and it just quit. I did have the rear brakes replaced just two days ago and they checked out the system so I would hope that they checked the Maxi's out. Your thoughts