Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Travel Tips - Fuel Prices

Travel Tips - Fuel Prices Everyone has travel tips. Share and discuss yours here with the rest of the group.

Site Search:

Old 11-29-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Thumbs up Dry Camping Tips

I thought that I'd start this thread after reading this tip from Randy on another thread, so if you have any additions please add them here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
............When we dry camp for a long time,like at "Q",we catch the cold water coming out of the hot water lines,and use it to flush the toilet,saving water.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 11-29-2009
Forum owner

John,even though the water taps and the dumps are just 1/4 mile away from the "nest" at "Q",we manage to shower everyday and go for 8 days between dumping and topping off with water,saving the cold water helps,because the Microphor uses so much water to flush.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-29-2009

We turn off the water pump and only use it when showering or making dish water. We dump the dish water down the toilet or outside. Toilet flushes itself in most cases. Fecal solids require a little dump of dishwater. At Q, you can be a little more leisurely in the conservation efforts with the dump & refill station so close- but when we're really boondocking- 25 miles out from a dump/water station- the above methods have served us well.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 11-29-2009
Administrator

Both partners need to be in on some degree of conservation.

We can Boondock for about 8 days, conserving water, & power.
6 six volt batteries all tied together, one 12 volt for the Onan,
The Onan has an alternator, this is a bonus & a great option.
Turn off the electronic Master, rewire the frig and propane detector.

We Boondocked on an 8 week trip Aug/Sept, only plugged in 5 times, three days were back to back at an event . We also took a three week trip with no pedestal hook-up. Boondocking is rotuine for us. If parked on a fresh water lake Boondocking can be longer, although the water does need filtering.
About 1 1/2 hours of gennie each morning most days, This is when Ya heat up the water, charge batteries, make the coffee, turn on the heaters, Block heater etc. Charge cell phones,GPS, computer, and any other batteries.
Also these gadgets can be charged off of the inverter.
There is also driving time that charges the batteries.

Last edited by Bill Pape; 11-29-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-30-2009
RV Appraiser

I agree with Mr. Bill, oh no... When we dry camp we also keep plastic dish pans to wash dishes and use the grey water to flush, we capture the cold water off the hot water side to use to drink, make coffee, cook with or brush teeth. We (Navy) shower, get wet, soap, then rinse, about 2 minutes per person every other day. We also use the generator 1.5 - 3 hours per day split between morning and evening meal times to recharge the battery banks. We also use bottled water mostly for drinking & cooking. We have gone 9 days without a dump site or water hook up, and being extremely conservative we could have made it a couple more days. Washing hair & dishes consumes the most water, so this is when you really need to be the most conservative. From our boating days, in the head I keep a large plastic spray bottle with a Dawn & water solution to wet the tolet bowl sides before use. I also stress, if it yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down, the Dawn & water spray goes a long way when flushing. When using the spray bottle with Dawn & water the solid waste slides down and requires less water for flushing. Fabric softner in the head also helps control odors from the black tank.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 11-30-2009

I use the toilet in the FC somewhat like an outhouse to save water. When I go in to drop a torpedo, I first shut off the water pump and sit down to do my thing. At the moment it's "bombs away", I step on the toilet pedal and with good aim and a little luck, the poo goes straight down the hatch with no staining of the bowl and no wasted water. The black tank gets plenty of water from the bathroom sink to keep things from getting too solid.

217-720-3608
dthollis@sbcglobal.net

1994 BMC37
1991 SP36(sold)
1984 FC35(totaled)
1978 FC33(sold)
Old 11-30-2009

We place our shower head in an empty wide mouth cat litter jug and collect the water until it warms up. We keep the jug on the ledge in the shower stall and use the collected cold water to flush the toliet when necessary.
Cat 3208ATAAC-300
12.5kw Kohler/Yanmar (w/slide)
"Magic carpet made of steel"
Steve Goodman 1970

"You never fail until you stop trying".
Old 11-30-2009

Default You want me to WHAT????

Oh man, I don't think I'm up to this one. Good suggestions but a little too much detail for my tastes. I can just see my instructions to the little woman about torpedos and such. This is going to have to be put off to some one else.

You know Randy I haven't forgotten you were going to give driving lessons at Maxton and never got around to it. A seminar on water consumption my be in order too. I can just see my wife's reaction to this. "You mean you want me to WHAT!!!" Frankly I'll unhook and drive the 25 miles to dump the tanks before I am going to even go there.

I have trouble getting her up in the morning in a good mood.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 11-30-2009
WanderBee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblerboy64 View Post
Oh man, I don't think I'm up to this one. Good suggestions but a little too much detail for my tastes. I can just see my instructions to the little woman about torpedos and such. This is going to have to be put off to some one else.
Yeah, I don't see my wife being too keen on all that stuff, either.

But, that's part of the reason I want a bird. I currently have about 40 gallons of fresh and about 40 gallons of gray/25 gallons black in my SOB. We never boondock for more than 3 nights max anyhow (mostly associated with football/tailgating). So, at least with the bird I don't have to ration water and gray space (black never seems to be a problem).
Marietta, GA
Old 11-30-2009
popeye

The "torpedo" thing was one I hadn't heard of but we have/do use most of the other ideas. Dawn in a spritzer bottle seems like a good idea, and it makes a good engine degreaser too.

When we are in warmer climates we use a SolarShower. The capacity is about 2.5 gallons and when placed flat in the sun you almost always assured of a warm shower by 4 p.m. I salvaged a small piece of teak grating which I carry in the same locker as the SolarShower, it makes for clean feet in an otherwise wet & muddy environment.

I've thought about adding solar so as to reduce genset time (and noise) but can't justify the cost. My genset burns 1/3 to 1/2 gallon per hour. At $4.00/gallon that's somewhere between $3.00 and $4.00/day for boondock time of 1-2 hours. IF I could get a solar system (panel, controller, etc.) for $2,500 (doesn't seem too likely) I would have to use it for 600 days in order to start realizing any savings. If I were full timing and was never hooked up that would be just under 2 years. Given last year's usage (5 1/2 months on the road) during which time I ran the generator maybe 60 times it would take me 10+ years to make it pay.

I'm open to thoughts from those who boondock...