Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Travel Tips - Fuel Prices

Travel Tips - Fuel Prices Everyone has travel tips. Share and discuss yours here with the rest of the group.

Site Search:

Old 12-03-2009
BIG MAMA

Default Boondocking tips

I buy Huggie pop up wipes in those plastic refillable boxes. I have one by the kitchen sink and one in the bath. They save water for hand washing and for counter clean up. They are gentle on the hands for us ladies!
2001 LXI single slide

04 M 380.......with goat rails SOLD
Old 12-03-2009

Let's see, my 96 has roughly a 90 gallon black tank. The air operated Microphor uses 2 qt's per flush. That's the only thing going into my black tank as far as I know. So I've got at least 20 days (2 flushes per day per person average) of black tank capacity. No problem there. The grey tank has almost 100 gallon capacity, but everything else (all faucets and shower) goes to it. But I've only got a 120 gallon fresh tank. So I'm going to need water before I need to dump.

While I understand the reason to conserve water and do practice some measures to do so; I also realize I'm driving a 50,000 pound behemoth that belches blakc smoke and the stab of the fun pedal and terrifies small children as it thunders past. How much conservation do I need??? Or do I just use what I want, make my allowances and go fill up and dump when I need to??? Saving a pint of cold water before the shower gets hot will buy me an extra gallon every eight days. So over a 2 week period, I've saved 2 gallons, but had to trip over a cat litter bucket everytime I shower and I don't even like cats! And trying to keep water out of the black tank only allows it to dry faster, creating more problems when I do finally dump. Like they used to say back in college, "flush twice, it's a long way to the cafeteria!"

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 12-03-2009
Forum owner

Hey John,most birds have the bathroom sink draining into the black tank.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-03-2009
davidmbrady

Randy,

Your new LXi's kitchen sink drains to the black tank.
Old 12-04-2009

I think if you have a garbage disposal, which I assume most of us do, the kitchen sink will drain into the black tank. At least mine does. It seems to me the black tank gets most of the waste water. Besides the shower what else would go into the gray?

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 12-04-2009

No garbage disposal. Black is toilet and bathroom sink. All else is grey. Think mine is pretty standard for the "vintage" iron.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 12-04-2009

While I haven't taken the time to follow pipes, we fill our grey tank MUCH faster than the black tank. We don't have a disposal, so the kitchen doesn't go black, but I can't yet guarantee the bathroom sinks don't. But since it fills the gray faster, I assumed (stupidly, maybe) that only the toilet and maybe the washer/dryer go black. She's drained for the season, so I'll play with it next year- assuming I remember!

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 12-04-2009
Thomas Rembert

I just went and checked my bathroom sink, and it does dump into the black tank like Randy says, should have known he was right.
2018 Allegro Bus 45ft 4 slide
Alachua, FL/Blackhawk, CO.
Old 12-04-2009

My bathroom sink drains to the black tank, and this is how I found out:

(this is going to sound like another Gardner story.)

Last time I went camping for the weekend, I stopped at the campground fill station and added about 100 gallons of fresh water. Got her parked, plugged in, turned on the water pump (with the kitchen switch) and the water heater.

About this time, friends showed up next door and I helped them get the 5er parked and set up, then we sat down to have a beer or 2. (can you tell where this is going). Soon after, the better half showed up from work and asked why there was a puddle under the bus. I went to look, thinking maybe a radiator problem or something, and there was a stream of "water" draining from the coach. I went inside thinking I forgot to close that drain valve under the bathroom vanity. Upon opening the bathroom door, I found I had previously forgot to shut off the bathroom sink faucet. It wasn't the bathroom sink that was overflowing though since this was not the lowest point. You guessed it, the dunny was plum full and the floor was (lets just say) wet. YUCK!!!

I couldn't drive to the dump station with the water splashing out of the stool (I might have made a mess or something), so I performed the old "one full tank trick" by opening both dump valves to equalize the tanks. sounded like a waterfall for a few seconds, but it took care of the full tank problem until daylight. Removing the cap after the equalization is always interesting and requires (preferably disposable) rubber gloves.

After all of this I looked at the prints and sure enough, it was built to spec. The bath sink showed a drain to the black tank.
96 WB
Valparaiso, In./Baldwin, Mi.
Old 12-04-2009

LOL . The thought of giving my wife instructions on the Timing of the bombbay doors . You my friend are the Man

2000 LXI Single Slide (sold)
1999 Prevost Vantare 45

Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com