Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 04-25-2018

Default Glass Cockpit?!

OK, So I am an idiot…let’s get that out there right up front. My wife sez so all the time, and I am sure you will all agree very soon if not already.

Has anyone ever considered an all-glass (or at least partial-glass) cockpit for an old Bluebird? I mean the vintage, analog gauges are retro-cool, but some of mine are balky at best, some are missing and some are, to be blunt, STUPIDLY located.

Wouldn’t it be COOL if a digital screen placed well could be configured with all the relevant information in an easy to see (and customize) way?

In my specific case:

I have a recalcitrant Tach. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn’t. Usually a “tap” on the face corrects it for a bit. Not a “big” problem…I can tell by now if the engine is happy by sound

I cannot see my all-important Oil Pressure and Radiator Temp Gauges without squirming in my seat so much Liz assumes I ate a bad burrito.

I have no Transmission Temp Gauge, which I think is somewhat impotent [sic]

I have no Pyrometer (of course I have no turbo, either, so maybe I don’t need one…)

I would LOVE to replace the Tach (and maybe the Speedo, too) with a screen that displays all of the above in one spot, right in front of my face!

I know doing this would require replacement of most or all of the senders; and ISSPRO (in Portland, OR) seems to make such things (found them here on the forum). I was thinking of exploring this by creating a list of Gauges and Ranges for my bird to work with ISSPRO on.

Is anyone else interested in this at all? Maybe some of this has already been done (tho I could not find reference to it by searching the forum).

Please be gentle on me in your responses…remember I am an idiot…
1981 FC-33 "RV Where Yet?"
www.AreWeWhereYet.us
Old 04-25-2018
Forum owner

So Liz,what kinds of meds does Dan take?
Haha! just kidding Dan.
I have no idea how to do all of that on an older mechanical engine,it would be easy to do (and its been done) on a coach with the S60 engine.
Maybe you should trade up?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 04-25-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHHarris View Post
OK, So I am an idiot…let’s get that out there right up front. My wife sez so all the time, and I am sure you will all agree very soon if not already.

Has anyone ever considered an all-glass (or at least partial-glass) cockpit for an old Bluebird? I mean the vintage, analog gauges are retro-cool, but some of mine are balky at best, some are missing and some are, to be blunt, STUPIDLY located.

Wouldn’t it be COOL if a digital screen placed well could be configured with all the relevant information in an easy to see (and customize) way?

In my specific case:

I have a recalcitrant Tach. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn’t. Usually a “tap” on the face corrects it for a bit. Not a “big” problem…I can tell by now if the engine is happy by sound

I cannot see my all-important Oil Pressure and Radiator Temp Gauges without squirming in my seat so much Liz assumes I ate a bad burrito.

I have no Transmission Temp Gauge, which I think is somewhat impotent [sic]

I have no Pyrometer (of course I have no turbo, either, so maybe I don’t need one…)

I would LOVE to replace the Tach (and maybe the Speedo, too) with a screen that displays all of the above in one spot, right in front of my face!

I know doing this would require replacement of most or all of the senders; and ISSPRO (in Portland, OR) seems to make such things (found them here on the forum). I was thinking of exploring this by creating a list of Gauges and Ranges for my bird to work with ISSPRO on.

Is anyone else interested in this at all? Maybe some of this has already been done (tho I could not find reference to it by searching the forum).

Please be gentle on me in your responses…remember I am an idiot…

I have to agree with your wife.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 04-25-2018

https://www.raneystruckparts.com/sem...xoCNzYQAvD_BwE

Here's a start.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 04-25-2018

Default I agree with my wife, too

" I have to agree with your wife. "

Because to do otherwise would not be wise. Maybe I am not actually crazy?
www.AreWeWhereYet.us
Old 04-25-2018

Quote:
https://www.raneystruckparts.com/sem...xoCNzYQAvD_BwE

Here's a start.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
Thanks, Mike!

I might give them a call...replacing my analog gauges one-for-one with digital ones does not give much pf an advantage (unless a gauge is broken). I am hoping to combine functions...

Back to crazy!
www.AreWeWhereYet.us
Old 04-25-2018

Sounds like more stuff to go wrong. When I was looking at Prevosts, I ruled out the Marathons with the glass dash just for that reason. Many have failed and been retrofitted with silverleaf, but why rely on one system for all of your gauges? If the screen fails, you have nothing. At least with mechanical stuff, you would probably only lose one gauge at any given time.

I like my Silverleaf, but I like redundancy.

Sky Cheney
1998 43' LXi #F119728
Lansing, Michigan
Old 04-26-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHHarris View Post

In my specific case:

On the tach dropping out issue I had that exact problem with mine. Try this:
1. Pull the dash up to get a look behind the tach.
2. There's a sliding selector switch on the back, note the position it's in.
3. Slide it back and forth a couple of times ending up back at the position it started.
4. Button it back up and enjoy not having to make any more "percussive adjustments"

It seems that over time the contacts get dirty and this cleans them off. I did this to mine and it hasn't dropped out on me in over 2 years.
Follow our travels at:
ampersandgemandjewelry
Old 04-26-2018

While not something I would do, you could see if the SilverLeaf folks could hook you up. They do make a glass dash. Maybe they have a way to connect it all...
http://www.silverleafelectronics.com/?q=node/7

1994 Wide Body #106048 "Going Galt"
bruce.griffin67@gmail.com
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map
Old 04-26-2018

Default AWESOME COMMENTS, as always...

I Will call Silverleaf....and have found a couple of other folks who make Glass Gauges for race cars, etc. Doubt they are practical or affordable, but sometimes these guys get intrigued...

NO DOUBT it would simply be easier and cheaper to fix the Tach (Thanks K Ridley SOOO much for the idea of HOW to do this). I can combine my two working air gauges into one with two needles for $50 and then focus on how to add a Transmission Temp Gauge (Analog) into the hole in the dash this frees up. Probably I WILL do this.

But it is fun to think about what COULD be done. Used to be an IT Guy with some skills with tablets, screens and instrumentation...though not for old diesels. Not in a hurry, either (that is what retirement does!).
www.AreWeWhereYet.us