Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc.

Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. Questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding what equipment to use to tow your Toad with are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 02-21-2020

I hypothesize that the original owner lived somewhere they have to pay a higher registration (or taxes or...) on GCVW so perhaps he asked BB to mark the weight sticker with the 48,900 on both GVWR and CGVW.

The coach has a tow hitch on it that certainly appears to be factory and with an S60 powering it, it has plenty enough smoke to tow anything that might find its way behind it.

Perhaps I will post a separate thread asking others with a 97 41WLWB if they would be willing to share a picture of their weight stickers. We could compare axle ratios and whatever else to see if they are the same.

Chris
"Hotel California"
Old 02-21-2020
Forum owner

I doubt that BB or any other builder of fine coachs would modify any documents for that reason.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-21-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
I doubt that BB or any other builder of fine coachs would modify any documents for that reason.
So what is your take on this Randy? Did you ever see a Wanderlodge with the same weights on both GVWR and GCWR?

I bought an S60 powered coach specifically to tow a trailer. I am holding off transferring the title until I can get the weight stuff straightened out.

Can you help?
Chris
"Hotel California"
Old 02-21-2020
Forum owner

I will honestly say i have never looked at one of those plaques.
But i have towed a heavy stacker with 2 cars and all kinds of race parts inside,never a problem,but i never got stopped either.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-22-2020

We know that the S60 12.7 was used in semi tractors and was easily capable of moving 80,000 lbs on a daily basis. The charts from Allison on transmission load limits have the 4060 listed with "unlimited" as the vehicle weight limit. We're left with chassis strength, hitch (and supporting structure) strength limits, and handling/stability limits. (The trailer is assumed to have a good functioning brake system).

We must also consider that the vehicle manufacturer is left to determine exactly what the tow limits are and must be able to justify towing up to the given weight. There's exactly nothing that says they can't claim a lower weight than the actual maximum capabilities of the vehicle.

In some states there's a difference in license requirements when the tow weight goes over 10,000 lbs. I note that my coach, along with many others, has a tow limit of exactly 10,000 lbs. Coincidence? There are other, newer coaches from high end manufacturers with limits of 15,000 and even 20,000 lbs.

Steve
who tows about 4000 lbs

Lynn Haven, Florida
1999 LXi 43 dual slide
Honda CR-V toad

850 814 9022
Old 02-22-2020

Would this also happen to be around when BB was having its weight issues? I would say its the running gear and tongue weight on the rear that would be the limiting factor.. I think they are attorney numbers.... to keep them out of trouble, I suspect they are conservative numbers...
I have been tossing around towing my F350 with the golf cart in the bed of the truck behind my PT, only thing that concerns me is the tow bar capability.. The combo of truck and golf cart are right at 10k.

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740 (Sold)
YouTube-Gino's Garage https://www.youtube.com/user/xjrjeff
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460
Old 02-22-2020

FC's can tow anything, build a strong hitch. BB told me "anything above 20k lbs will need brakes" not making this up. I, however, have no idea what the rear frame situation is on any other model. Remember the Donut Wagon!
Cape Cod,ma
Old 02-22-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autorotica View Post
So what is your take on this Randy? Did you ever see a Wanderlodge with the same weights on both GVWR and GCWR?

I bought an S60 powered coach specifically to tow a trailer. I am holding off transferring the title until I can get the weight stuff straightened out.

Can you help?
Chris
I'm not sure what your frustration is about this. If the hitch is only rated for 10K lbs then you should only pull a trailer to that limit. Your buddy's trailer being rated at 12K exceeds that. So, it seems to me that you need to beef up the existing hitch to be rated at 15K or more to be safe, paying close attention to the tongue weight, which can't exceed your axle specifications or that of the hitch itself. Have a reputable shop do the work and keep the paperwork in the bus with you along with the registration. I seriously doubt you will ever need it.

I have never registered an RV in PA but I have never seen an RV registration or title stating GVWR or GCVWR. My registration has a place for Decl. GVWR and that space is blank as have all my previous titles. I believe primarily because RVs are exempt from nearly every DOT regulation there is. Having been involved in law enforcement going back to 1974, I have never heard of an RV being run through a scale. A regular cop isn't going to care and you don't fall under DOT guidelines, so the DOT cops don't care. But you are not going to get anyone to change the placard that came with the bus. That is a given.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 02-22-2020
Forum owner

I sold an LXI years ago that the owner pulled a big stacker.
He had beefed up the bus hitch and had 2 of the bigger receivers welded in,side by side.
He had a double draw bar that fit into both receivers at the same time.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-22-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
I have never registered an RV in PA but I have never seen an RV registration or title stating GVWR or GCVWR. My registration has a place for Decl. GVWR and that space is blank as have all my previous titles.
This is not the case in Pa, which requires a picture of the placard stating GVW and GCWR to be included with a title transfer packet. The one work-around the state recognizes is a signed affidavit from an inspection mechanic.

Has anyone posted pictures of what they did to beef up their hitch for stacker or other heavy hauling?

Chris
"Hotel California"