Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 07-25-2019

Default 1973 FC Brakes

HELP! Having a tough time with getting the hydraulic brakes repaired correctly.
The mechanic replaced all cylinders and shoes that were wearing thin. Recently replaced hydrovacs.
Problem still remains......hard pedal? and seems that it takes much further to stop than it did before the work was done. I don’t know where to go from here.
He suggested replacing drums but that doesn’t compute if the brakes worked ok before. Reason we replaced them was a long trip we wanted to take and be safe. That never happened. Mechanic said the rear brakes “locked up” when he tried them but front didn’t. Are the cylinders the same for front and rear? How can I narrow this down? I’ve inspected vacuum lines and don’t see anything obvious and the vac gauge seems to indicate good vacuum with 16 at idle. Seems like something happened after the brake work.
Any suggestions?
Old 07-25-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk1950 View Post
HELP! Having a tough time with getting the hydraulic brakes repaired correctly.
The mechanic replaced all cylinders and shoes that were wearing thin. Recently replaced hydrovacs.
Problem still remains......hard pedal? and seems that it takes much further to stop than it did before the work was done. I don’t know where to go from here.
He suggested replacing drums but that doesn’t compute if the brakes worked ok before. Reason we replaced them was a long trip we wanted to take and be safe. That never happened. Mechanic said the rear brakes “locked up” when he tried them but front didn’t. Are the cylinders the same for front and rear? How can I narrow this down? I’ve inspected vacuum lines and don’t see anything obvious and the vac gauge seems to indicate good vacuum with 16 at idle. Seems like something happened after the brake work.
Any suggestions?
Change mechanics.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 07-25-2019

Default brakes

Poss drums are over size, shoe arch. Not making full contact with drum. Reducing brake preformance?
Old 07-25-2019
Forum owner

i would replace the rubber brake lines,two reasons,they are old and the other reason is they get plugged up with age.

When plugged up they don't let fluid get to the cylinders.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-25-2019

When I had the duel hydrovac done on the BB INN, Ford Truck sent the duel unit to a school bus repair shop, when the unit was returned they had a very hard time bleeding & getting the brakes to work right, they finally got it right!
2006 Jeep TJ Wrangler X
See my Album!
Old 07-28-2019

Thanks all. I will look deeper into the issue this week.