Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 05-13-2010

Default questions on tire differences

Okay, I've read through some threads, done some research, and am slightly confused. Apparently, there are "all position" tires, and axle-dependent tires, meaning steer only, or drive only, tag only, etc.

Where I've read that people are rotating tires from steer to tag and buying new steer tires, are you all buying all-position tires when you do this, or doesn't it really matter what goes on the tag? Is everyone just buying steer or drive specific tires?

Also, this will probably bring lots of comments, but....the tires on the coach are between 5-7 years old. I couldn't read all the date codes as some weren't present or possibly on the "inner" wall, but anyhow, I saw one date code of 2003, I see receipts saying some tires replaced in early 2005, but could have had 2004 or 2005 date code I guess. Anyhow, tire guy is recommending replacing only the steer tires and keeping the "best 6" in the back on the drive and tag. Thoughts on this? His recommendation for the steers is Continental HSRs over the Michelin XZE, although he'll put either one one that I want (or anything else I guess but these were his 2 initial choices).
VB 1570
Old 05-13-2010

Markus,

Did I miss something??? 1986 PT 40 in your signature line????
For my two cents on the tires, I would go with the new Michelin tires on the steers and keep the best six on the drives and tag for now, until you sort things out.
Westchester Sandblast
Old 05-13-2010

Ha ha, I didn't officially post anything yet, so you didn't "miss anything". Still staying "under the radar" for now, but hope to "tell the story" soon.

I just talked to the tire guy again, he says that steer tires can be used all around on a motorhome unless you are looking to drive through all kinds of weather conditions where you need specific drive tires, aka tires that have traction for snow, ice, mud, etc. He also won't put 315's on the front as some have suggested and wants to stick with the 12R's, for various reasons, one of them being rotate-ability of the tires in the future should I want to move the steers elsewhere and get new steers. He also says the current rims aren't wide enough to handle the 315's.
VB 1570
Old 05-13-2010

Markus,
Just FYI my '82 PT40 loves the 315's I put on all the wheels.....
1961 Jaguar Mk2
2004 Durango 4wd Toad
2010 Mazda CX9
Old 05-13-2010

I think most everyone is using all position tires on their BB's. Most are rotating tires from location to location over the life or the tire or at least would want the option to do so. I think position tires are really relative to over the road trucks where you are dealing with steer, drive and trailer tires. Motor homes are a little different.

I think Tom's suggestion is a good one as long as you don't exceed the date codes on the best 6 tires. I personally would not use tires over 7 years old on any position on my bird. Certainly steer tires are the most important but I really like the idea of having good shoes all around. I guess it depends on the risk you are willing to take and the condition and age of the tires you are talking about. If the best tires are 6 or 7 years old you are going to have to change them soon, is it worth it to you to use them temporarily? You have to decide for yourself on that one.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 05-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblerboy64 View Post
... If the best tires are 6 or 7 years old you are going to have to change them soon, is it worth it to you to use them temporarily? You have to decide for yourself on that one.
Doc, a lot of help you are!

I will have to check the date codes myself on each one I guess and see. The receipts show early 2005 (5 years ago) several were replaced. If that's the case, and the date code is even late 2004, I'm good for the rest of this year.
VB 1570
Old 05-13-2010

Hey, I do my best. It's like do you want novocain or not? You gotta decide not me.

I know what you mean. You want to save the money but you don't want to take an unnecessary or unreasonable risk. I try to look at it like this. If something WOULD happen and you took the risk can you live with yourself. I tend to be pretty much a belt and suspenders guy on stuff like tires. If I had tires 4 years old or newer I'd use'm if 5 or 6 years old I would if I had to for reasons of finance but if older then 7 I'd bite the bullet and buy all new. Everyone has to make that call for them selves.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 05-13-2010

I'm in the same situation with mine. I was going to replace the steers next week and then the rest over the next few months. I ordered them local. They called me yesterday to tell me they wouldn't get here until Friday or maybe as late as Monday (they had to be shipped from another store in state) He also told me he just found out that they were getting a price increase of 6-8% from all of the manufactures the first of June . For 6 tires thats a big chunk of cash.I'm bitting the bullit and replacing them all
Brooks, GA
Kip Cindy & Cody
678-523-7920
Old 05-13-2010
Skidder

Default Question on all tire differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by atckip View Post
I'm in the same situation with mine. I was going to replace the steers next week and then the rest over the next few months. I ordered them local. They called me yesterday to tell me they wouldn't get here until Friday or maybe as late as Monday (they had to be shipped from another store in state) He also told me he just found out that they were getting a price increase of 6-8% from all of the manufactures the first of June . For 6 tires thats a big chunk of cash.I'm bitting the bullit and replacing them all
I think that is a "good decision", however, just make sure you check the DOT date codes before they are installed, and don't except anything over 3 or 4 months old. You might even phone back and advise your tire guy of that, to ensure you have no delay on your installation.

Wannabee
Old 05-13-2010

Just had put on 2 315's Firestone's put on my bird yesterday with a "J" load rating for the front end.
Firestone now makes them for tour busses.
$415 each plus install.
Smoother riding than my previous tires.
They replace my 12R22.5 tires.
Fits existing rims just fine.