Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 04-05-2008

Default Tire size questions

I currently have 12R22.5 tires on my 86FCRB. Newer Michelins in front and older BFG's in back. The BFG's are nine years old and starting to show some sidewall cracking and are due for replacement. Has anyone run 11R22.5's on the rear and 12's on the front of their coach. There is a substantial price jump to go to 12's and I really don't need them to carry a heavy load in the rear like in the front. ALso the 11's are much easier to find. A second question is, has anyone used recaps on the rear? I see school buses use them all the time. There must be a downside to using them on a coach though. Any thoughts appreciated.
"Bark-O-Lounger"
Old 04-06-2008
sweeperman

I run recaps on the back of my sweepers But I would NEVER run them on my bird to much stuff to get damadged under the bird If you lose a tread and it does happen
Vienna OH
908 902 8379
Old 04-06-2008
Phil Olson

I run my coach like you are suggesting, 12R22.5 LR H on front and 11R22.5 LR G on rear. That is how mine was set up when I got it three years ago. Just put new Michellins on it last week, XZE up front and XZE2 on the rear. The rears were about $100 less each than the fronts.
Old 04-06-2008

I would not run recaps. I have never figured out why BB owners seem to know more than BB engineers. The tires selected for use on BB's does not have anything to do with the price or availability of the tire today. The way you received it does not mean it is correct. Just my opinion. It's your coach and your family. With 12R 22.5 16 p.r., H all the way around as called for by BB.

Former "Smoke N Mirrors" caretaker

Last edited by jwasnewski; 04-06-2008 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-06-2008

Our 88 FC has 12R's all the way around. It will stay that way. If you run 11r's on the back what happens when you blow a front tire in the middle of Kansas? You cannot move one of your rears to the front. If you carry a spare what size will you pick. There is a reason why BB changed from 11R to 12R. These are heavy beasts. Have you weighed the rear of your coach one side at a time? Might get a surprise. Yes, 12R's are hard to find. AS for retreads: The $ you save will quickly be consumed by the damage to your Bird. RV tires are not the same as truck applications. You might have a 10 year old Bird with 90% tread but those tires should be scrapped. This is as per both Michelin and Goodyear.

1988 PT38 La Reina Gitana II
Old 04-06-2008

I just put 4 new 12R22.5, 16 ply tires on my 1991 WBWL. They were $251.00 each and were not hard to find at all. If you are going to replace tires every 7 or 8 years what difference does it make if they are hard to find. Recaps? I don't think so. Next time you on the interstate, count the retread caps along the side of the road. Jim Barone
Old 04-06-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Barone View Post
I just put 4 new 12R22.5, 16 ply tires on my 1991 WBWL. They were $251.00 each and were not hard to find at all. If you are going to replace tires every 7 or 8 years what difference does it make if they are hard to find. Recaps? I don't think so. Next time you on the interstate, count the retread caps along the side of the road. Jim Barone
In trucker speak, those spare parts are called Alligators. Wonder why? lol

Former "Smoke N Mirrors" caretaker
Old 04-06-2008

!986 PT & FC both came standard with 11-22.5 tires. I do not no if the load range was a G or H
Old 04-06-2008

Yes, so recap's are not a good thing. Thats what everyone (and I do mean everyone) says.
"Bark-O-Lounger"
Old 04-06-2008

Many of the "alligator tails" on highways are from new tire separations.

http://www.desser.com/retreadfaqs.html

http://www.desser.com/retreading.html

Most commercial airlines uses retreads. Often a single casing is retraded up to 15 times.
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401

Last edited by giderich; 04-06-2008 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Added add'l url