Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 01-11-2012

Default 4 way switch wiring diagram - 12 volt

Internet searches think a 12 volt 4 way switch has to do with a trailer hitch.

But what if you'd like to make a light in the bus that currently is operated by a switch at one end of the bus operable instead by a total of 4: like the one switch at one end of the bus, another at the other end, one near the top of the entry door and one near the bottom, so that you can turn it on or off no matter where you are, even standing outside the door.

Anybody got or know of a diagram for the 12 volt situation? Also for a 3 way switch (ie where 3 switches do one light). Diagrams abound for 120, but not 12. One store suggested a relay or controller, but apparently these don't look like the 120 building style switches that my bird uses for 12v lights.
Old 01-11-2012
Gardner

12 or 120, what's the difference? Both systems need to interrupt the hot side. You just need to pay attention to the current requirements.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1derer View Post
Internet searches think a 12 volt 4 way switch has to do with a trailer hitch.

But what if you'd like to make a light in the bus that currently is operated by a switch at one end of the bus operable instead by a total of 4: like the one switch at one end of the bus, another at the other end, one near the top of the entry door and one near the bottom, so that you can turn it on or off no matter where you are, even standing outside the door.

Anybody got or know of a diagram for the 12 volt situation? Also for a 3 way switch (ie where 3 switches do one light). Diagrams abound for 120, but not 12. One store suggested a relay or controller, but apparently these don't look like the 120 building style switches that my bird uses for 12v lights.
In normal household electrical terminology a 3-way switch setup controls a light(s) from two switches. A four way hookup normally is for three switches. The wiring would be the same for low voltage situations. Four switches diagram is shown below.

Note that the switches with three terminals are "Single Pole Double Throw" (SPDT). Those with four terminals are "Double Pole Double Throw"(DPDT). You need two of each type to control one light circuit from four places
Old 01-11-2012

This is a nice schematic. Very easy to understand. I would not think you would need a large grade wire if you were only connecting to a outside 12 volt light. Thanks Rich!
281-546-2445
Old 01-11-2012

Rich -
The top drawing showing the 3way situation has a label by the light "2 wire romex" but only one line connecting the light to one screw on the switch. What's going on with the second wire that's not represented by a line?

The bottom drawing shows 2 lines to the light and at least 4 lines to each switch.

These are drawings for a building install, but what I've got in the RV so far is one switch with two wires to it, where I presume one is power to the switch and the other is power out of it to the light. The light also has two wires, one of which brings power to it, the other grounds the light to the chassis. - I'm still wanting to avoid making inferences about how to do the 12v wiring from a 120v type diagram.
Old 01-11-2012
Gardner

Look at the top drawing again,. The grey line below the 2 wire romex wording is the neutral line and it goes to the light.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 01-11-2012

nice work rich...
mike
even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile
washington Il.
Old 01-11-2012

1derer take the picture shown to the hard ware store. They will give you the parts needed to complete the work. You will need different switches to make it work for you. The Hard ware store should have all you need to complete the project with a 12 volt system.
281-546-2445
Old 01-12-2012

thanks for pointing out the neutral from the light in the top drawing. It looked at first like a frame for the picture.

Will try the hardware store next, drawing in hand.
Old 03-18-2012

Default Thanks

Thanks for posting the wiring diagrams. There's nothing special about 12v except the lack of the ground wire. So I'm wired. Once I got into it, I decided the 3 way was enough: Now I can turn on the several marker lights used to illuminate the floor the full length of the Bird by flicking the original switch in the rear BR, a switch I added just behind the driver seat within reach of any couch potatoes, or one I added to the back of the dinette seat, within easy reach of somebody standing on the main floor of the bus or on the ground outside. As i haven't been tutored in fishing wire, the toughest job was getting the refrigerator out so I could feed the wires to the rear BR switch that's on the wall the other side of the frig.

While I had things apart, I also added a momentary switch just outside of the entry door so you can turn on the porch light without going inside, but for only as long as you're leaning on the switch.

One pleasant discovery while running wires was that the paneling used to conceal them in the overhead storage has the almond color vinyl of the walls on the flip side, in case anybody ever needs a patch in their old bus.