Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 04-17-2013

Default radio 1975 era wiring

Once upon a time there was a radio in the dash above the driver in this 1975 Bird. Now there are just the ends of speaker wires visible thru the rectangular hole that's flanked by a knob hole at either end. I would think speaker wires would emanate from an amplifier, but I don't see an amp close by. Does this mean that's not present either?

Apart from the radio hole there are also a couple volume knobs elsewhere on the overhead dash (that also has controls for other things on it.) The gob of tiny wires that were hooked up to the volume knobs are gone thanks to an electrician who opined that in the present day the separate volume knobs are passe.

So, does anybody think I should be looking for an amp somewhere else?
Old 04-17-2013

No amp - it was in the radio. You won't have much luck finding a radio with shafts today. If you do it'll probably take cassettes. Plan on putting in new speakers/wiring and and you'll have to cut the hole larger to fit a new radio.
Blue Bird Maps 156
Old 04-17-2013
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1derer View Post
Once upon a time there was a radio in the dash above the driver in this 1975 Bird. Now there are just the ends of speaker wires visible thru the rectangular hole that's flanked by a knob hole at either end. I would think speaker wires would emanate from an amplifier, but I don't see an amp close by. Does this mean that's not present either?

Apart from the radio hole there are also a couple volume knobs elsewhere on the overhead dash (that also has controls for other things on it.) The gob of tiny wires that were hooked up to the volume knobs are gone thanks to an electrician who opined that in the present day the separate volume knobs are passe.

So, does anybody think I should be looking for an amp somewhere else?

Now John.. If you'd attended any of our AZ Hot Birds Rally's you'd know Fred Bellows is your A/V man! Fred might be able to get you an older knob style format BUT, I've found the standard DIN and a remote invaluable! Fred also installed an amp and subwoofers so I can enjoy the music over the sound of the engine going down the road.

Contact him.. GeeFred@Gmail.com

PS.. We'll be down in your neck of the woods 4/26-28 checking out Kartchner Caverns. Wipe the dust off that RV and get out!

info here;
http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...ad.php?t=16058
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 04-17-2013

Brett - Why are new speakers necessary?
Mike - Since I seem to have nothing but 8 speakers, I'm thinking what I ought to do is get a flat screen tv, put it facing the couch so can I see it from the drivers seat, attach a backup cam to it (that I can see without having to be in reverse), use it as a tv, and if any flat screen tvs come with radio receivers, use it for the radio too (which might be possible to fiddle with using a remote). Any recommended models?
PS - Don't give up on me in the Hotbirds. One day I shall appear.

Last edited by 1derer; 04-19-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-18-2013

Lightbulb Inexpensive state of the art audio upgrade

I know you guys are talking about FCs of a 70s vintage, but I can't imagine my '83 PT's old sound system was all that different. Here's what I did: first, I ordered a new receiver on line from Crutchfield. Great price and they have techs available to pick up the phone and walk you through the install. My requirements called for a unit that has blue tooth with a mic input for hands free phone, RCA aux inputs for running audio from my TV, a USB input to allow me to plug my iPod or other mp3 player in to listen to my music and a remote to control everything from my easy chair. You will need to remove the aluminum panel that your current radio is mounted in and cut out the opening with a Dremel cut off wheel. Once you get everything back together, you will be able to adapt to new technology as it happens (wireless blue tooth speakers and God knows what else is coming). Currently, I have the speaker outputs routed back to the original speakers. On mine I do have two small booster amps. One in the overhead cabinet with the speaker in the main living area and one with the speaker in the bunk room. However, I will probably go wireless as this technology continues to develop (primary reason I didn't bother with replacing the originals). So, the total cost for the unit and cables was just over $200.00 and a Saturday afternoon to install it. The modification of the dash panel was the most challenging part. The rest is just a mater of plugging in cables and connecting your power and speakers. If anyone has an interest, I will take photos of the finished installation this weekend and post them.

Cheers,

KC

Kevin Crane
Waterford, MI
1983 PT36