Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 08-27-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Default Coolant Filter Installation -1987 PT38 – 8V92

Coolant Filter Installation -1987 PT38 – 8V92
Contributed by Curt Sprenger August 27.2008

Coolant Filter Base – WIX 24019

Filters – 1st filter NAPA 4074 (WIX 24074). In a year, and each year, change filter to WIX 24701.

PartsAll Brass, all 3/8” - 4 street elbows, 1 close nipple, 1 1-1/2” nipple, 2 NIBCO T585 ball valves. Cost $68.79. *Plus two threaded/barbed straight hose connections that I had on hand. You might find the part for less. I shop at a plumbing store that carries more parts than anyone in our area. They are not the least expensive but time is worth something.

Hose – measure generously – I used just under 6’ - get good ½” push-on or equivalent. Cost $10.00.
Hose Clamps – 4 each.

Bolts/Nuts – to mount the filter base.

Instructions -

1 I removed the Either Injector system and installed the coolant filter base in the same location. Or
pick a different location.

2 Loosely attach all the plumbing to the filter base, see picture, and the spin on the filter (not tight), to
get an accurate mounting position that works. Keep the coolant hose clearance/routing in mind.

3 Drill new mounting holes if needed.

4 Install filter base.

5 Install the brass parts. See photos. Shorten the ball valve handles as needed. Use thread
sealant.

6 Tighten the filter.

7 Remove the old hose at the Expansion Tank, save the coolant. Plug the hose for now.

8 Connect new hose from the expansion tank to the filter base center.

9 Connect new hose to the filter base outer connection. Run the hose to the thermostat housing
street elbow to get the length of hose needed, and cut to length.

10 With a knife, slit the old hose at the street elbow on top of the thermostat housing. Quickly
remove that hose and slid on the new hose. A terry towel on top of the thermostat housing will catch the small amount of coolant loss.

*(Revised August 28, 2008)
Sorry, I reread my writeup, and find I left out two parts, threaded/barbed hose fitting.
--
Curt Sprenger
1987 PT38 8V92 "MacAttack Racing"
Anaheim Hills, CA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	832
Size:	411.5 KB
ID:	485   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	752
Size:	354.1 KB
ID:	486   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	714
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	487  

Last edited by iamflagman; 08-28-2008 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Curt left out two parts, threaded/barbed hose fitting.
Old 08-27-2008
Forum Moderator

Thank you Curt. That's just the info I was looking for. Nice job.
Old 08-28-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
Coolant Filter Installation -1987 PT38 – 8V92
Contributed by Curt Sprenger August 27.2008

Coolant Filter Base – WIX 24019

Filters – 1st filter NAPA 4074 (WIX 24074). In a year, and each year, change filter to WIX 24701.

PartsAll Brass, all 3/8” - 4 street elbows, 1 close nipple, 1 1-1/2” nipple, 2 NIBCO T585 ball valves. Cost $68.79. *Plus two threaded/barbed straight hose connections that I had on hand. You might find the part for less. I shop at a plumbing store that carries more parts than anyone in our area. They are not the least expensive but time is worth something.

Hose – measure generously – I used just under 6’ - get good ½” push-on or equivalent. Cost $10.00.
Hose Clamps – 4 each.

Bolts/Nuts – to mount the filter base.

Instructions -

1 I removed the Either Injector system and installed the coolant filter base in the same location. Or
pick a different location.

2 Loosely attach all the plumbing to the filter base, see picture, and the spin on the filter (not tight), to
get an accurate mounting position that works. Keep the coolant hose clearance/routing in mind.

3 Drill new mounting holes if needed.

4 Install filter base.

5 Install the brass parts. See photos. Shorten the ball valve handles as needed. Use thread
sealant.

6 Tighten the filter.

7 Remove the old hose at the Expansion Tank, save the coolant. Plug the hose for now.

8 Connect new hose from the expansion tank to the filter base center.

9 Connect new hose to the filter base outer connection. Run the hose to the thermostat housing
street elbow to get the length of hose needed, and cut to length.

10 With a knife, slit the old hose at the street elbow on top of the thermostat housing. Quickly
remove that hose and slid on the new hose. A terry towel on top of the thermostat housing will catch the small amount of coolant loss.

*(Revised August 28, 2008)
Sorry, I reread my writeup, and find I left out two parts, threaded/barbed hose fitting.
--
Curt Sprenger
1987 PT38 8V92 "MacAttack Racing"
Anaheim Hills, CA

At Curt's request, I have edited his original instructions to include, the parts listed below;

I left out two parts, threaded/barbed hose fitting

Thanks for the writeup and photos Curt.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 08-28-2008

Hi Curt,

From what I can see in your photos, this would be an easy mod for any 2-Stroker Detriot. Are the filters pre-charged with SCA's or just removing **** from the coolant?

“Of all losses, time is the most irrecuperable for it can never be redeemed”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 08-28-2008
Forum Moderator

Shane from phone conversations with Curt I understand these filters do inject SCA into the coolant. Curt figures to use the higher injection filters at first and then change out later to filters that have less SCA. I'm wondering about this since new coolant should be up to snuff with all the necessary SCA needed. We need to resolve this one issue of what filters to start with and later switch to. It can be harmful to have too much SCA
Old 08-28-2008

Default Heavy Duty Coolant Filters > Frequently Asked Questions

Filter Manufacturers Council > Heavy Duty Coolant Filters > Frequently Asked Questions

Here's a link to a web site that may answer some questions about the coolant filters;
http://www.filtercouncil.org/index.p...oolant-filters

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 08-28-2008

Too much SCA will take out your water pump. You have to check it routinely to ensure it's at the correct levels.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 08-28-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfedeli View Post
Hi Curt,

From what I can see in your photos, this would be an easy mod for any 2-Stroker Detriot. Are the filters pre-charged with SCA's or just removing **** from the coolant?
Shane, Yes, pre-charged with SCAs and removing ****.
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 12-18-2008

Well, parts just came in and looks like I have a winter project. Got the Wix filter base #24019 from Filter1.com for $33.35 and two non-charged filters Wix #24070 since my coolant is pre-charged and the concentrations are perfect for now. Will be doing the upgrade prior to leaving for Q in a few weeks. Thanks for the posting and parts list Curt!

“Of all losses, time is the most irrecuperable for it can never be redeemed”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 12-18-2008
Senior

Curt very nice installation and something I have to do now. I got all kinds of files on things like this I have to do but time is rare now to do them. I am involved in a major remodeling of our front room so SWMBO is in charge.

Just a couple of changes I would make. Do not under any condition install the types of filters you note into your DD unless you are installing coolant without SCAs. If you use Fleetguard for instance which is already precharged with the correct amount of SCAs then just a filter would be fine for a short time to get the **** out of your coolant system. However if you add the controlled release filter instead of a "Needs release" filter you are asking for trouble in the form of additives precipitating out and ruining your water pump and possibly plugging your radiator. Also the Wix 24701 that you reference is an air filter cellulose filter and not a coolant filter.

You have a large coolant system and if you have already a precharged system as I know Shane has then you only need a Penray needs release filter every 13 months and forget it.

The difference between a needs release (only adds additive when the system CHEMICALLY calls for it) and a controlled release (releases additive at a controlled rate continuously based on your PERCEIVED needs. In other words if you already have a precharged SCA coolant you will quickly have more SCA in the coolant then you need and it will start to precipitate out. Not good.

This is what you need for a filter: http://tinyurl.com/4rlsa5

Have fun.
6V92