Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Default Rear Air Bags, Brakes and more..

So I started tearing into the work on the rear of the bird. Pulled the air bags on the drive and tag.. have the new bags on the drive. I replaced the leveling valves, and dump valves for the drive axle. I am pulling the drive hubs to replace the seals and will probably go ahead and replace the bearings while I am in there. Will be replacing all the brake components, new drums, new shoes, rollers, pins, s-cam bushings and slack adjusters.

Here are some pictures:

Click image for larger version

Name:	3FF57268-EA1D-485F-A130-9DA7D0D56DC2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	66150

Name:	F01EE89E-4428-4E97-895D-2F38FEFE078F.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	66151

Name:	9C54CD11-7BD9-4479-8590-5CFF5FFD3A18.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	66152

Name:	0213D7C9-3CF5-415D-BCDD-FFA0E1EF4208.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	66153

Name:	4454FF1C-548A-4DE2-B078-D9DDCC5E1C30.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	66154

And here’s a video of some of the work:
https://youtu.be/G9OnEPlt5WY

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740 (Sold)
YouTube-Gino's Garage https://www.youtube.com/user/xjrjeff
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460
Old 2 Weeks Ago

You need to drive up here and change out those valves on mine. Especially the one on the tag.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
You need to drive up here and change out those valves on mine. Especially the one on the tag.
I am on my way.. oh wait a minute, it’s cold up there... give it 2or 3 months..

They are not too bad to replace... hardest part is reaching them... especially the tag stuff. The drive shaft gets in the way..

I am hoping this will cure my slow to air up the suspension issues..

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740 (Sold)
Old 2 Weeks Ago

I'll just drive down and park at your place then My biggest problem is that I am not confident enough to jack the thing up here since it's on gravel. It is OK if it stays cold enough to be frozen, but it's got a lot of moisture in it and when it gets above freezing for a day or two it gets soft again. Not ideal.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
RV Appraiser

My 2 cents, check the nut size on the bags, go buy 2 wrenches of the same size, ACE hardware. Cut one wrench in half, because you can not get a full swing on the nuts to loosen them with a full wrench. Your 2nd wrench heat it up with a torch and bend it about 30 degrees in the middle this will allow you to get to the rear bags without removing the wheel on the drive axle. Once you get the bird jacked up and tools ready it is a hour or so on each bag. I also had to take a wheel grinder to the box end of my bent wrench to get it to fit the nut on the rear. BB drilled the hole off center on my street side mount. Don't know if it was a Monday morning thing or a brainfart in engineering. Be safe and good luck.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Watch Jeff's video. I already bought the Tite Reach. See how fast he gets those bags out.
2003 Wanderlodge 40LX
Body# F133835
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
I'll just drive down and park at your place then My biggest problem is that I am not confident enough to jack the thing up here since it's on gravel. It is OK if it stays cold enough to be frozen, but it's got a lot of moisture in it and when it gets above freezing for a day or two it gets soft again. Not ideal.
Yea weather is nice so far... some rain tomorrow, but the weekend is looking good.. Yea ground is a problem.. I could not pour concrete due to permitting issues. So I put down heavy base of crushed asphalt and then covered with crushed shell so it looks decent.. It is packed down really good and I do not have any issues with setting up on it... well other than its not nice to crawl around on.. I have a sheet of plywood I put down so I am not working on the shell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birds_first View Post
My 2 cents, check the nut size on the bags, go buy 2 wrenches of the same size, ACE hardware. Cut one wrench in half, because you can not get a full swing on the nuts to loosen them with a full wrench. Your 2nd wrench heat it up with a torch and bend it about 30 degrees in the middle this will allow you to get to the rear bags without removing the wheel on the drive axle. Once you get the bird jacked up and tools ready it is a hour or so on each bag. I also had to take a wheel grinder to the box end of my bent wrench to get it to fit the nut on the rear. BB drilled the hole off center on my street side mount. Don't know if it was a Monday morning thing or a brainfart in engineering. Be safe and good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRasman View Post
Watch Jeff's video. I already bought the Tite Reach. See how fast he gets those bags out.
Yea the tite reach does a really good job getting to the top bolts on the bags, still have to use a 12 point box end wrench on the bottom bolt. I sped up the removal of the bottom bolt by just breaking it loose and then spinning the air bag instead of turning the wrench. Can reverse that for installation, spin it on until it gets close to tight. Then line up the top two bolts and get them started then finish tightening up the bottom bolt with the box end wrench.
Tite reach makes short work of tightening the top bolts with an impact..

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740 (Sold)