Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 02-14-2020

Do you own a multimeter and some test leads?
Old 02-14-2020

I do , so I opened up the panel and tested each leg to ground no continuity so its somewhere between the connection and the transfer switch I presume, I am guessing that its right in the connection.
Old 02-14-2020
Forum owner

I know for sure on a perkins/kohler i was working on it had one clear relay that was 120vac.
But as i said,there was 3 different control boxes when i was working on the one i had.
all 3 had the schematics here on wog.
But,i don't know if all 3 had the same relays or if only one had a 120v relay.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-14-2020

there are actually four in this box, which looks original, three are typical 5 pole relays and i bought new ones at o'reillys today for 10 bucks each. the fourth is the big 11 pole unit which is 120 v. I have replaced on before and had an extra but I am starting to wonder if either are any good. this is it here: https://www.te.com/usa-en/product-6-1393118-3.html

I don't know where else to get one I will order it tomorrow we'll see when it arrives? There is a Kohler distributor in Orlando called TAW has anyone dealt with them?

But right now I am more concerned about this strange shore power short, tomorrow I will hook up the two 30 plug in and see what happens, I could not get anything to show continuity to ground so I don't see how the bus body got energized I am guessing its most likely the plug itself, but I can't see anything wrong with either the male or female ends, this could prove to be an absolute nightmare! Right now I have the house batteries charging with a regular automotive battery charger and with the inverter working everything seems to work fine, I think if I had a random short buried in a wall somewhere there is a good likelyhood it would also be affected under the inverter condition. oh my sanity!
Old 02-14-2020

TAW is Tampa Armature Works.. We use them for motor re-winding and electrical testing. Nothing too bad to say.. their customer service for the things we use them for was not stellar.. but I have not dealt with their generator division. I am going to be looking for a source for Kohler parts as well so I may end up seeing if they can provide the parts I need.

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740 (Sold)
YouTube-Gino's Garage https://www.youtube.com/user/xjrjeff
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460
Old 02-15-2020

after reflecting overnight I have a slightly new strategy based on this thinking:

While looking into the generator issue I discovered that when plugged into shore power the bus body was energized, this has to mean that I have a short in a power wire to ground, this issue might well have lead to the generator issue by causing the 120V relay to fail, I will order a new relay as well as the slip rings and brushes today but not install it until I have resolved the grounding issue.

I am no electrical wiz, I've wired a few houses and installed car accessories but wiring a three way switch usually involves an hour of trial and error, so more knowledgeable advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here is what I know:

Connecting to the 50 Amp or either 30Amp supply results in reverse polarity light coming on in the control panel.

running the inverter everything seems to work fine.

I removed all the paneling in the closet around the electrical panels and found no issues.

I tested for continuity between each supply leg and ground in the main panel and found none.

I need a methodical approach to finding this short, where I can eliminate large sections of wiring to focus on the most likely source. How would those with more knowledge approach this issue?

The bus was last plugged in on Tuesday when I left home, the generator ran a couple times on the way down with no issue. When I bought the bus the inverter and all the panels where installed (it appears professionally) I installed house batteries, connected them instead of the bus battery to the inverter and isolated the house 12v system from the bus system by changing the link under the dash to connect to the house batteries, my first inclination would have been to look into the work I did but it seems unrelated to the present issue?

Thanks again to those who have provided advice, I am talking it through as I go and your advice helps a great deal.
Old 02-15-2020
Forum owner

Gardner has a great way of explaining this hot skin issue,hopefully he will be along soon.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-15-2020

thanks Randy, I am sitting here trying to avoid the temptation of tearing stuff out!

I do think that setting the generator issue aside for now is the right way to go, as it seems the two issues are very likely connected.

I have a few weeks set aside in here in Florida while I am parked at a friends property with a shop and additional tools so perhaps I'm fortunate it happened here and not somewhere on the road.
Old 02-15-2020
Gardner

You have a bad ground. Also you must verify your source for polarity.

Start at the outlet where you plug in to shore power and verify the outlet is wired correctly. Then check any adapters and shore cables. then move on to the bus connector and through to the main breaker panel. Don't just look, measure with a meter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20-30_Amp_120V-metered-300x223.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	66276   Click image for larger version

Name:	50_Amp_240V-metered-300x226.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	66277  
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 02-15-2020

OK Thank you,

Just to be clear from the sketches I should have the bus plugged in to test?

Also is there any value to the observations about both 50 and 30 Amp doing the same thing?

I will test all my supply cables first, then plug into the 50 amp and start testing receptacles? or should I open the panel and shut off breakers and test a circuit at time?

Are there any more common issues or is this a random thing? Mice?