Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 02-15-2020
Forum owner

its very common for the home or where ever your plugged into to be wired wrong.
Listen to Gardner.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-15-2020

He is telling you to test the outlet you are plugging in to, before plugging in.. That would explain why it is still a problem whether you are on 30 or 50..

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740 (Sold)
YouTube-Gino's Garage https://www.youtube.com/user/xjrjeff
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460
Old 02-15-2020

Once again WOG nails it, getting 20 plus volts between ground and neutral at the supply plug so we 've got a problem at source, I checked a bunch of receptacles in the bus and no problems.

Back to the Generator!

Thanks Guys

you prove once again never assume!
Old 02-15-2020
Gardner

I spent so much time writing this that you went and discovered the issue before I posted it !!!

I would start at the power source and work towards the destination.

The first rule (National electrical code) is that Neutral and Ground must be bonded (connected) a the source, and ONLY at the source. The source for your house or shop is the service entrance at the main panel. The neutral is a current carrying conductor and the ground is a safety mechanism. If the hot lead shorts to ground (bus chassis) it should immediately trip the circuit breaker. If the breaker doesn't trip then you have a bad ground. The ground also serves to keep the coach chassis skin voltage to less than 2 or 3 volts under normal conditions. Remember that the actual ground connection is back at the service entrance in the house and there can be a slight voltage difference due to the distance between the RV and the service entrance.

Now, when the generator is the source, it must also bond neutral and ground, however since the transfer switch breaks both the neutral and hot leads, any other bonded neutral and ground inputs are disconnected leaving the generator as the only neutral/ground bonded connection.

Last is the inverter. Most inverter/chargers have an internal relay that bonds neutral and ground when they are producing AC voltage. Many inverters have a 'passthru' feature that passes 110 when is is present at the input and in this mode it does not activate the bonding relay.

So the importance of solid connections from the source all the way to the destination cannot be overstated.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 02-15-2020
Gardner

Just an FYI:

When the fuse in my old 83 FC gen control box started blowing intermittently when starting. After considerable effort gaining an understanding of the control box circuit I traced it to a flakey connection in the starter solenoid. There is a disc that connects the battery to starter and to the R terminal of the solenoid. The contacts were worn and made poor contact and would draw power from the control box via the R terminal. I took the solenoid apart, rotated the heavy connection contacts and cleaned up the contact disc. Problem solved. Here are a couple of pics.

NOTE, pics taken with solenoid housing sitting on the fan mount, not the actual solenoid position Also, here is the official trouble shooting manual

https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ler+resistance
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RearCoverOff.pdf (1.04 MB, 16 views)
File Type: pdf rotated contact-1.pdf (68.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: pdf cleaned up.pdf (727.2 KB, 9 views)
Ridgewood, New Jersey

Last edited by gcyeaw; 02-15-2020 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-15-2020

I very much appreciate your providing good information, and though maybe not needed today is a valuable lesson none the less. I never considered that a short should blow a fuse and therefore I was thinking wrong even though that is a simple explanation, often when this stuff happens we have to remember to start with the simple stuff as we make problems too complicated from the get go. Taking the solenoid off and doing the clean up is probably a good idea as well and doesn't even require parts. 11 pin relay is on order I will chase down brushes monday and I think I will ask the Kohler dealer about testing the voltage regulator.

Again, Thanks to the knowledgeable WOG members for help and advice, working on this old bird is a lot better with a support group.
Old 02-16-2020

a little update, I haven't actually fixed anything but I am getting an education that I thought I might share a little of, after my many false starts I figured I would hook up a generator to shore power and see if I could diagnose some of what I thought were my electrical problems. there is a honda eu3000 sitting here that I thought I would hook up as see what things I could analyse. Well didn't that open a whole new can of worms until I stopped and questioned the generator? Floating ground meant that nothing in the bus seemed OK as voltage was everywhere it wasn't supposed to be and wasn't to be found in places it should have been.

Turns out its a very easy solution was to simply make a jumper between the neutral and ground on one plug and then the it operated everything on the bus just fine and it appears I have no actual wiring issue at all. SHOULDA KNOWN!

SO now back to the generator. just a little bit smarter!
Old 02-25-2020

Today I was finally able to crawl under the bus and do some investigating, I spoke to Tom (I think that's his name) at CGG and he lived up to his reputation, what a helpful guy. He explained to me what to check and what to look for:

So I did check the resistance between most of the things he mentioned; between the commutator (which looks a bit worn but not bad) and the brush holders, one is fine with little or no resistance and the other has somewhere between 4 and 6 ohms which I gather is not good. Checking between the winding and the frame no resistance which I gather is OK.

I also noticed this debris behind the cover, I hope the photo uploaded.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0225200933.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	66461  
Old 02-25-2020
Gardner

For my Honda generator (2000i) I just wired a plug with neutral and ground shorted and plugged it into one of the Honda outlets. That makes my Progressive unit happy and also the rest of the coach. And I don't have to remember to unplug it like I would if I did it inside the coach.
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 02-25-2020

Thanks Gardner for all the good information on those posts for the kohlers. I am going to be digging into my buddies before long.. it has stopped making power.. I am hoping it has not fried the windings and it’s just the avr or brushes/sliprings.. if not we will be looking at a new head..

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740 (Sold)
YouTube-Gino's Garage https://www.youtube.com/user/xjrjeff
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460