Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > General Discussion > New Members

New Members New members to the forum are welcomed here.

Site Search:

Old 02-20-2020
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MesaAZGuy View Post
In my extensive research for a new project (Like I need another hole in my head) I decided the Blue Bird bus is my best choice. Unfortunately, I am limited in funds and cant afford 100k. I am a pretty handy 50 year old who can weld and take stuff apart and reassemble with no left over hardware. WooHoo!

So anyway, I am looking for some serious advice. I am considering a bus I found on eBay for about 14k. It was a 2000 LTC40 charter bus with 450k miles. Seller says it is in good condition and will take less. when asked about the powertrain and if it had leaks, his response was that all Detroit engines leak oil. Not sure if it has a main oil seal leak or what.

I would strip out the interior to build it the way my wife and I see fit for our needs.

So my questions are this... Am i crazy to consider that kind of mileage? Can glass be found for this bus? the upper front window has cracks. Are they easy to work on? Any Gotchas with suspension or hidden costs?

Thank you!!

Simon
If you haven't read the thread in the link below, you probably should.... it will most likely either encourage you or discourage you:

https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ead.php?t=7831
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 02-20-2020

Thanks for the replies guys! I was out working today to pay for my poor spending habits! So I completely appreciate everyones views. I guess its easier for me to bleed a little at a time than cut off the arteries at once. That statement doesn't mean i will go out and just buy a project. What it means is that I really enjoy working on long term things. That said, I do appreciate the truth about the length of time in the conversion Vs enjoying something now. I do love the floorplan of these coaches but I still prefer something to look more light bright and modern. I am an electrical contractor. We've spent a ton of money renovating our current house so i know the pain associated with that. I am also fortunate to have a great friend who does really nice wood work for me at $25 an hour. Honestly, I would love to keep him busy even if I let him strip it down. So in the end, I am ok with a project more for initial cost (Enduring costs are easily hidden from wife!). My biggest concern is the longevity of the engines on what I am finding. Going back to my previous thoughts, I don't want to buy a beautiful already done coach to tear it apart to achieve what my wife wants out of it. She tried that with our second house and I told her its better off selling and moving into something that needed work to our tailoring.
On a final note, I will check out the link John. I'm still in no different position as to what to do. In the end, its how much money one can throw at it. Something I can do slowly rather than take out a loan for. I will just stay on the sidelines for now. Thank you all!!
Old 02-20-2020

I don't think you have any drivetrain concerns with that red bus mileage wise or anything, but the ad is written in a way that makes me think the seller's a screwball. The S60 and Allison are as stout as it gets. I commend you for trying repeatedly to make your wife happy. LOL.
Old 02-20-2020
Forum owner

Heres your wake up call.
An in frame rebuild in a S60 is $20,000
at 450,000 miles the allison may need work,they normally last about 400,000 miles in a tour bus.
Brakes,suspension,rear end.
All of that stuff has 450,000 miles on it,unless the service records say different.

I would start with something with way less miles,but its your ball game!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-20-2020

Randy, You woke my *** up. I had a feeling on the costs but thought these could go to about 800k miles before needing attention. My feelings are exactly about the seller. Honestly, he is willing to take 10k but even at that, the unknown burden of the drivetrain is the cost I could do without.
I did read through MoreFire's saga with his bus. It did not deter me. We have more opportunity with the weather aside from the three months of extreme heat to get more stuff done. And its always sunny!
I'll just keep my eyes open for something I could afford entry to.
Old 02-20-2020
Forum owner

The engine may go that far,but brakes,brake drums,suspension bushings and u joints and all that stuff will not.
If a collage had it they farmed the service work out,who knows what kind of work they did?
Keep looking if you want to build a coach,buy one with history.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-20-2020

All the cool people roll in old Wanderlodges. Just go buy an old FC or PT and fix it up
Old 02-20-2020

Yeah, I thought the same thing. I figured it came from a college football team or something to that effect. Most of the nice color schemed buses I find are from sports teams. I doubt they did much maintenance work on them to begin with. It was a price driven thing for me. The seller relisted it. In the end, I fear more the cost of painting a bus rather than the mechanics. I know, bad thing. Part of my OCD which bases most things on cosmetics!
Old 02-20-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
All the cool people roll in old Wanderlodges. Just go buy an old FC or PT and fix it up
I just don't want to ruin a classic by painting it more my style. In fact, I prefer the old style polished stainless sides of the old Greyhound buses. Less paint to fade. The Arizona sun is terrible on paint. All of our cars are white! I don't want white on a bus unless its part of a multicolor scheme. Then again, I fear the costs of a whole coach repaint.
Old 02-20-2020
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
I don't think the LTC 40 has a Detroit.
And if hes says all detroits leak,hes wrong.
2 strikes against him already.
and 450,000 miles?
Nope,strike 3,hes out.
But of course you will buy it anyway! (just kidding!)

But,if you want a cool smaller bus to convert i have 2 bluebird pushers with 8.3 Cummins and the 3060 Allison,air ride,air brakes.
Nice buses,they were used in a travel service fleet,moving old people around Floirda.
Not worn out and not beatup.
But,they don't leak! or have broken windshields!

Why don't you look around and find a wanderlodge that needs a some work,or paint,or?
Agree