Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 09-28-2013
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

Ryan stopped by yesterday morning and we got an oil pressure reading off the Yanmar. She's putting a strong and steady 50 psi. So that was the big question and the good news.

Decided to replace the sending unit so we off to a nearby HD truck counter and they sent us down to a Yanmar dealer but it was the wrong one. Then we were sent off to another Yanmar dealer and he had the sender that corresponded with the motor model # but it looked different then the sender that was on the Yanmar to begin with. Decided to drop the $50 and try it out. Ryan suspected it may not work because Blue Bird may have used a different arrangement as they have been know to do with many things that bolt onto engines in these coaches.

Sure enough, the new sender did not even register. Ryan put a meter in it to check resistance and it was not right. Decided to clean the old sender up and put it back with new terminal on wire. She fired up and is showing a steady 30 psi at the dash gauge and that is exactly how it was when I go it ( engine spec stated mid 20s to mid 50s).

So, perhaps the all the old sender needed was a tour of the Pinellas Peninsula, a good dose of brake cleaner and a new crimp terminal!

As for Ryan, well, we did stop and have a great lunch at Mazzaro's and I pointed out to him as we were touring the Peninsula, that even though this simple task was taking hours, it was far better than digging a ditch and that seem to make him feel better about committing his day to this!

We were traveling in Ryans totally restored 1991 Wrangler and it was a treat...a cruising little rig and the beautiful orange paint job catches the admiration of all who gaze upon her!

Thanks, Ryan (aka Major Mod, aka Simple Farm Boy), for your help and don't forget, IOU a day! BTW, he is already prepping me psychologically for what he has in store... it involves a paint scrapper and vinyl stripes and an 83 FC... can't wait!

NH Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5423.jpg
Views:	958
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	25022  
St. Petersburg, Florida
Wanderlodge Social: https://mewe.com/profile/5bfc750ae760be22b1797898
Old 09-28-2013
Timberlake Products Group

All went well 50 psi at the gauge with funky readings at the dash

Mazzarro's was most excellent too, thanks Bill!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img_0611.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	25023  

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup
Old 01-08-2014

Default Follow up with part # for correct sender

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Bill View Post
Ryan stopped by yesterday morning and we got an oil pressure reading off the Yanmar. She's putting a strong and steady 50 psi. So that was the big question and the good news.

Decided to replace the sending unit so we off to a nearby HD truck counter and they sent us down to a Yanmar dealer but it was the wrong one. Then we were sent off to another Yanmar dealer and he had the sender that corresponded with the motor model # but it looked different then the sender that was on the Yanmar to begin with. Decided to drop the $50 and try it out. Ryan suspected it may not work because Blue Bird may have used a different arrangement as they have been know to do with many things that bolt onto engines in these coaches.

Sure enough, the new sender did not even register. Ryan put a meter in it to check resistance and it was not right. Decided to clean the old sender up and put it back with new terminal on wire. She fired up and is showing a steady 30 psi at the dash gauge and that is exactly how it was when I go it ( engine spec stated mid 20s to mid 50s).

So, perhaps the all the old sender needed was a tour of the Pinellas Peninsula, a good dose of brake cleaner and a new crimp terminal!

NH Bill
Follow up with part # for correct sender:
Old sender did not run long and decided to go after this annoying little problem again.

Back to Yanmar with a photo of the gauge and they sent me off with a part # for a VDO sender... found it at NAPA. Did not work. Pulled off the old sender and cleaned it up on a wire wheel and was barelyy able to make out the word INTROL on the body. Also stamped on base nut was 100 and L0. Looked on the Internet and noticed it associated with some older fork lifts and Mopar stuff.

Started calling around and found an ancient little auto parts store (hole in the wall) about 3 blocks from my coach garage. "Complete Auto Parts and Machine Shop, Inc.". Told Domenic what I had and he said yep, I think I know exactly what you need. Ill have it here tomorrow. He said to be sure its not the gauge, to ground out the sender wire and run the generator. The gauge should pin past 100. Did this and it pinned. Went over to the store and he handed me my new sender ($16). Installed it and it works perfectly!

Dominic and his brother Paul have a combined experience in this business of 105 years! I think these guys forgot more than all the other places combined know... as least when it comes to vintage stuff. They moved to St. Petersburg about 27 years ago from Waterbury CN where their dad started their first store. I'm sure glad to have found this place! Great guys real old school store.

Domenic's son Matt is there too and Matt's new born was behind the counter on the floor in a hamper! hahaha http://completeautosp.com/

BTW that oil pressure sender for the Yanmar/Kohler is a PS59T by Standard Motor Products.

Hope this will save the next guy that needs a sender for this arrangement some aggravation!

NH Bill
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PS59T.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	26517   Click image for larger version

Name:	PS59T Standard Motor Products.jpg
Views:	610
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	26518   Click image for larger version

Name:	Complete Auto Parts.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	26519  
St. Petersburg, Florida

Last edited by NH Bill; 01-08-2014 at 12:37 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-08-2014

Thanks for the update Bill. I all ways learn from your adventures!!!
281-546-2445
Old 01-08-2014
Administrator

Hi Bill,

It also needs to match the gage,
Is the gage the BB standard Teleflex oil pressure gage???
And the same for the 3208 gage??
Old 01-08-2014

Thanks for the info/part #. The oil pressure gauge for both the 8V92 and the Yanmar/Kohler are the same on my coach. I got two oil sending units from bedee. Your part # may work for the 8V92 engine as well. IIRC both gauges for oil pressure were 0-120 PSI. $16 is a deal
Kansas, Il
Old 01-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pape View Post
Hi Bill,

It also needs to match the gage,
Is the gage the BB standard Teleflex oil pressure gage???
And the same for the 3208 gage??
Hi Bill - I do not know if this is a Teleflex oil pressure gauge. My genset was completely replaced some time in the early 90s. I could not find anything on the face indicating make and I don't like opening up the dash panel unless its necessary. PIA. Here is a photo of the gauge. What ever it is, it seems to be happy with my new sender!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Generator Oil Pressure Gauge for Yanmar.jpg
Views:	775
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	26538  
St. Petersburg, Florida
Old 01-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejallison1 View Post
Thanks for the info/part #. The oil pressure gauge for both the 8V92 and the Yanmar/Kohler are the same on my coach. I got two oil sending units from bedee. Your part # may work for the 8V92 engine as well. IIRC both gauges for oil pressure were 0-120 PSI. $16 is a deal
Ed- Note the oil pressure gauge I am using with this sender is 0-100. I have no idea if it will run with a 0-120 gauge. I'm guessing the guys at Complete Auto Parts may know. 727 895-3821.

Bill
St. Petersburg, Florida
Old 01-08-2014

Default Yanmar Oil and Fuel Filter #s

I also changed the oil (6 qt Rotella 15/40), and oil and fuel filters on the Yanmar/Kohler when I was in there yesterday.

I got Yanmar filters probably the same as Wix or NAPA Gold but they were about the same price at the Yanmar dealer. Here are the Yanmar part #s

Oil Filter

Fuel Filter

NH Bill
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Yanmar Oil Filter.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	26539   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yanmar Fuel Filter.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	26540  
St. Petersburg, Florida

Last edited by NH Bill; 01-08-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-21-2020

Smile

Resurrecting an old thread: Running some trouble shooting on our Yanmar due to occasional shutdowns. One issue is that the oil pressure gauge never goes to zero at shutdown. I took the lead off the sender, and the gauge pegged at max. Shorted it to ground and it went to zero. Sounds to me like somewhere along the line, the + and ground leads got reversed on the gauge.

Looking for agreement on this before I pull apart the upper panel to check.

I think I also need to replace the sender, as the pressure never seems to vary from 60. I've got new protection circuit sensors on the way for the shutdown issue. I watched the "run light" flash right before the most recent shutdown. Its not dropping in speed, just shutting down like the stop switch was held down.

Going to be FT for a while starting in April, so trying to get these things finished off as quickly as I can.

“Flyin' Low”