Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 04-13-2012

Default New tires with old dates

What is the word on "new" tires that have been laying around? A friend of mine owns a fire truck dealership. Every once in a while, a brand new truck will have a flat on its way to delivery. When this happens, the manufacturer always replaces the tires in pairs. As a result, my friend has some 315's that were run less than 1000 miles and pulled off in his warehouse, and I now have two of them. They have been stored on their side out of the ekements in a heated warehouse since they were pulled off. Dated 2008.

My question is this: when I put these tires on my bus, should I still consider their "expiration date" based on the date code, or should I start the clock running when they actually go in service? Is the tire really deteriorating laying unmounted in a climate-controlled environment out of the sun?

Opinions please...

Thanks
Old 04-13-2012

They are fine, the sun is what is hard on tires. I would not ever use a tire in a steer position if it has had a repair of any kind or has been run flat before.
"Short Bus"
Old 04-13-2012
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Scott,

To answer your question you ALWAYS use the date code PERIOD. How it's stored does not affect the date code, but may increase its longevity. Tire rubber does deteroate over time regardless of environment.

I would not run a properly cared for tire over 7yrs old on my steers, ever!
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 04-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
They are fine, the sun is what is hard on tires. I would not ever use a tire in a steer position if it has had a repair of any kind or has been run flat before.
The tires I have have not been repaired, they were the other of the pair that was replaced when one had a problem.
Old 04-13-2012

BTW.. you do know that;

New tires with old dates

is an oxymoron, right?

Old 04-13-2012
Forum Moderator

Ozone also contributes to tire deterioration.
Old 04-13-2012
Senior Moments

Most people in the know, consider a tire's 'safe' life to be about 7 to 10 years. The older the tire gets the higher the potential for blow-out. And of course a blow-out on a steering tire could be devastating. I personally see nothing wrong with 'used' tires which are relatively fresh as far as date code is concerned. I have also found a source of used tires and plan on using them for at least the rear duals.

Generally, most owners of motorhomes never wear the tires out, but rather they become old and unsafe long before the tread is gone. Keeping this in mind, used tires which may only have half of the tread remaining, but are fresh by date code make, in my mind, a very acceptable alternative to $400.00 per tire new tires.

John & Aleda Ellsworth
A wide-body, living in a narrow bus.
1985 FC-35-SB "Color Us Gone"
john.m.ellsworth@gmail.com
Old 04-13-2012

I personally have always changed tires base on the DOT code. My coach is stored inside and the tires always "look" lile new. Sometimes I am asked why am I taking "new" tires off? The bottom line is my family safety is worth the money to swap the tires. Also the amount of damage a blow out could do to my coach far exceeds the cost of the tires. Another factor is my Load range "H" tires are carring a significant load on the front of my BMC.

Your coach, your call.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad

Last edited by bwinter1946; 04-13-2012 at 03:05 PM. Reason: sp
Old 04-13-2012
RV Appraiser

The expiration clock started ticking when the date stamp was applied NOT when the tires were mounted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	skull-and-crossbones.png
Views:	107
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	15744  
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 04-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Emu View Post
Most people in the know, consider a tire's 'safe' life to be about 7 to 10 years. The older the tire gets the higher the potential for blow-out. And of course a blow-out on a steering tire could be devastating. I personally see nothing wrong with 'used' tires which are relatively fresh as far as date code is concerned. I have also found a source of used tires and plan on using them for at least the rear duals.

Generally, most owners of motorhomes never wear the tires out, but rather they become old and unsafe long before the tread is gone. Keeping this in mind, used tires which may only have half of the tread remaining, but are fresh by date code make, in my mind, a very acceptable alternative to $400.00 per tire new tires.
John you are absolutely correct. It's all about date code as we'll never wear out a set by milage alone. I have purchased "used" tires but only use them on the drive as you don't know the history. They could look fine but have hidden cord damage inside for instance. I always use new tires on the steer and when the date code reaches 7 years they get moved back to the drives and a new set goes on the steers.

BTW, I'm currently running new B.F. Groodrich's on the front and bought a used set of 4 Michelin XDA3's for the rear for only $500. They look new and have date codes of 2409. I've had them on for 10 months now and they are holding up great.