Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 07-27-2017

Thanks for the tips Randy, however, I've already taken up the steel platform which gives me full access to the slides. Let me tell you that platform is HEAVY!

The slides are damaged from the same kind of event Ernie described.
1. Low air pressure
2. Cover doesn't fully make it to the other side of the stair well and is unsupported but for the slides.
3. Someone doesn't notice the gap and steps on the platform, bending the slides and popping them out of the track.
If you look closely in the attached picture, you can see the damage to the slides in my coach that kept the platform from moving.

Couldn't find anything close to what I need from Lowes or Home Depot. I've ordered some heavy duty slides from Ovis at this web address:
https://www.ovisonline.com/52-Heavy-...400-P2387.aspx

These slides by Fulterer are designed for 450 lb load when mounted in the proper orientation. The way our slides are mounted is 90 degrees out of how they were designed to take loads. I'm going to see if I can figure out how to revise the platform in order to get the slides mounted so they are less prone to damage. May not be as pretty as BB design but should work better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1175.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	50213  
1984 FC35 SB Wanderlodge II (sold)
Old 07-27-2017
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
I get my slides from McMaster Carr.
There is a small trick to doing the job.
On most coachs behind the step slide platform theres a small wood box/cover thats carpet covered and it covers the back side of the slide.
I remove that box/cover (you will put it back later)
Then i use a long bar/screwdriver to pry up the old slides,just slide the bar under the glides and drive it in with a hammer,pulling the screws out of the wood.
The new glides i use are longer than the old glides,so they stick out the back of the platform and the carpeted box we were talking about will cover them.
I put 2 screws in the back,and 2 screws in the front using a screw gun.
I don't put screws in the rest of the holes in the glide,which theres no way to do with my big hands and arms.
But,the 4 screws have been doing the job,and i have been doing it for years.
Randy
So what length do you buy 60" or 48"
for the 90-94 PTs?
314-378-9882
Old 07-27-2017
Forum owner

57 and 3/4.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-27-2017

I added an extra slide (oriented vertically) on the door side of my 380. Doesn't let you step on it without it being fully extended, but kept it from hitting the front wall. I doubt that it will support Richard either.
Old 07-27-2017

Third slide a good idea Jim. I did find the Fulterer slides can be flat mounted but you lose about 66% of their load capacity when you do. So they'll support about 150 pounds flat mounted. Good enough to handle Mary Ann, but won't hold someone my size if cover doesn't make it all the way across the gap.

Another company that makes industrial slides is Hettich. Also sold by Ovis. They have an advertised capacity of 400 pounds.

Fully extended length of current slides is about 53 inches. Replacement slide from Fulterer would be a 26 inch version of the FR5400. That runs about $70 plus shipping for a pair.
Old 08-08-2017

Finally decided to go with Hettich 28 inch, full extension, 500 lb rated slides due to better bumper design than Fulterer. Ovis price was $110. New slides are much beefier than the original BB slides as you can see in the pictures. I believe they'll take more abuse than the old ones. Located the new ones further apart than original to better distribute the load. Mounted the slides on the bottom of the step well cover first to avoid having to work down in the step well. Slides work very smooth. Gave up the idea of trying to mount slides vertically rather than flat due to lack of clearance. Fun project. I know copilot will appreciate this feature on the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1189.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	50437   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1191.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	50438   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1194.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	50439  
Old 08-08-2017

Nice writeup Eric, thanks for the slide info.
"Smooth Ride"
Full Timing with 2 cats
Old 08-08-2017

Nice installation Eric. However I doubt that any slide that will fit in the space will survive being stepped on before it rests on the front lip. Putting better slides just makes it more likely the platform will ride up on the front support as it should. Just M H O.
Old 02-07-2020

Default Stuck Step Well Cover

Hello all, new owner with a 2000 LX. I’m having a stuck step well cover problem, and this thread seemed appropriate. My air operated step well cover does not always fully extend or retract completely.

Thinking the slides that the cover is attached to may need “loosened up”, I helped the cover fully retract by hand. Well, the cover seemed to “click” into place when I helped to push it in and will not extend now. Seems it’s locked in place, won’t budge at all in or out.

Is there a way to release the slides or do I need to remove the seat and carpeted cover over the step well cover to see what's going on?

Any help is appreciated….Mike
Old 02-07-2020
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike17ends View Post
Hello all, new owner with a 2000 LX. I’m having a stuck step well cover problem, and this thread seemed appropriate. My air operated step well cover does not always fully extend or retract completely.

Thinking the slides that the cover is attached to may need “loosened up”, I helped the cover fully retract by hand. Well, the cover seemed to “click” into place when I helped to push it in and will not extend now. Seems it’s locked in place, won’t budge at all in or out.

Is there a way to release the slides or do I need to remove the seat and carpeted cover over the step well cover to see what's going on?

Any help is appreciated….Mike

Read post 10 on this thread,i would not take the seat or the seat platform out,that stuff is heavy!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com